Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2006, 02:43 PM   #1
bmussatti

Cleaning Around the Wheel Bolts

Is there any good advice or tips on how to clean the wheel bolt area of the wheels without actually taking out the bolts?

Old 06-17-2006, 07:36 PM   #2

I don't know how good a tip it is, but a q-tip and wax with cleaner in it does work.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 08:33 AM   #3
bmussatti

I am working this week to get my car ready for my final Concours (in Geneva, IL) this year. And maybe last ever...it’s a lot of work!

I cleaned the wheel bolt area last night with doubled-up Q-Tips and Simple Green. Work great! Very easy. Took about an extra 2-3 minutes per wheel. There was a lot of dirt in there, and it looked awful, especially when the wheels and barrel area are spanking clean.

I don't want to use the Simple Green (or any other wheel cleaner) on a regular basis, on the wheels, because they strip off the wax. I just clean the wheels and barrel with hot soapy water (Zaino Z7 Car Wash).

I kept thinking I would have to remove the wheel bolts, one by one, to do a proper cleaning.

Tonight, I am going to try the Rejex I ordered last week.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:08 AM   #4

Good luck in your concours.

Strangely enough, new cars are often at something of a disadvantage if the event gives bonus points for age (of the car). The PCA region here gives 1/2 pt per year, to a max of 10 pts. I think the 10 pt max is recent, as I seem to remember a class-winning 911 a couple of yrs back scored 257 pts on a "perfect" score of 240.

Concours-winning cars are usually not determined by who used P21S vs who used Turtle Wax, but by who made the fewest mistakes in preparation, i.e., forgetting to clean the accelerator pedal, grass clipping on the wheel rim, or the ubiquitous "lint in the door pocket", etc.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 09:08 AM   #5

Just a thought but if it's just brake dust maybe you could try compressed air for a quick clean?
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 02:18 PM   #6

buy a wheel bolt brush (they sell them at pep boys).

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 02:30 PM   #7
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by insite
buy a wheel bolt brush (they sell them at pep boys).

No way, Insite! That thing is much too large and would scratch the heck out of the wheels. It scares me just looking at it!
Old 08-23-2006, 02:33 PM   #8

it's smaller than it looks; it fits around the lug bolt. the bristles are soft (not metal).

Old 08-23-2006, 02:48 PM   #9
bmussatti

Yeah, but what are the bristles attached to?........metal??
Old 08-23-2006, 05:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Yeah, but what are the bristles attached to?........metal??
I just picked a brush up like that at pep boys the other and did an executive lunch and washed my car....it did a great job on the rims....the brush is soft......

simple green works? I saw it on the shelf and bought some dupont stuff with teflon instead....what kind of wax are u putting on the rims....the dirt just cakes on them especially around the barrel
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 02:36 AM   #11
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by super66
I just picked a brush up like that at pep boys the other and did an executive lunch and washed my car....it did a great job on the rims....the brush is soft......

simple green works? I saw it on the shelf and bought some dupont stuff with teflon instead....what kind of wax are u putting on the rims....the dirt just cakes on them especially around the barrel
Yes, Simple Green works great. You can also try a solution of Wurth Citrus Degreaser and Distilled Water (20% solution). www.wurthusa.com.

I will be trying Rejex on the wheels now. I had been using Mequires NTX Wax. It worked great. The Rejex should be better. I just use soap and water on the wheels to keep clean.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:46 AM   #12

I've heard very good things about Wheel Brightener from Meguiar's profesional detail line. Sells by the gallon will dislodge anything without rubbing just needs to sit for a few and then just rinse. I jam a towel in the lug holes and with a pencil I rub the towel where my finger can't go.

Poorboys Wheel Cleaner is also said to have allot of bite.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 08:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by super66

i use P21S along with Wheel Wax (that's the product name). The P21S is unreal. I'm not sure that the wheel wax helps anywhere other than on the inside of the rims.

Old 08-26-2006, 09:05 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti

I will be trying Rejex on the wheels now.
Tell us what you think of the Rejex.
...maybe leave one front wheel with NO Rejex just to compare.
socratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 12:56 PM   #15
bmussatti

So far, the Rejex works great. Easy on. Easy off. Nice gloss. The big test will be how easily the dirt comes off with just soap (Zaino Z7) and water. I'll report back in about a week.