Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2016, 02:47 PM   #21
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Every auto tech.....

....I know that I trust agrees that the best way to warm up the car is to drive off slowly immediately after the initial fast idle drops and just keep her below 3,000 RPM until she reaches operating temp.

You do NOT want to just let the car sit and idle for ten minutes.

550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 05:16 PM   #22

quad it's normal. I'm in PA with similar weather. My 6tt oil temps at 180 in 3-5 miles. Boxster seriously takes a good 8-10 miles for coolant temp to get to 180
geetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 05:19 PM   #23

Garage
Within like a mile the needle should have moved. Give it about 6 or 7 more to be in the middle of the thermostat. Then maybe a few more for a solid 180

Depends on outside temp.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 09:52 AM   #24

Garage
22 degrees thursday night. Drove 20 miles and never got to 180. Drove it home on the return trip an 1 1/2 later, same thing.
Old 12-17-2016, 10:28 AM   #25

Garage
Sounds like the thermostat valve is stuck open.
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 08:21 PM   #26

My 02 boxster was the same. Took forever to warm up. My 996tt seems to warm much quicker.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
Old 12-18-2016, 06:35 AM   #27
Lew
So Blessed!

Garage
Even in SE Georgia where the temps are mild in the winter months and super hot in the summer. My Boxster is never driven till the temp reaches 180 degrees. Yesterday I started it up and it was near 70, and it took about 10 minutes on idle to reach operating temp.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:46 AM   #28

Drove the Boxster and Carrera this weekend with the outside temps at 50. Both a parked in a garage. I start the car and pretty much take off immediately driving the car slowly until they warm up. In both cases they both hit 180 at exactly three miles and about 5 to 6 minutes.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 10:01 AM   #29
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew View Post
Yesterday I started it up and it was near 70, and it took about 10 minutes on idle to reach operating temp.
Why, in Ferdinand's name, would you do that?

In all seriousness, idling to warm up is not ideal because it does nothing for the gearbox. If you think it's warmed up from idling, then take it out and get on it immediately, you are abusing your gearbox.

Ferry says to always drive under 3k to warm up.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 10:04 AM   #30
Lew
So Blessed!

Garage
Porsche 9, If just starting and left on idle, maybe it would double your driving time warm up. My VW Jetta TDI manual says don't exceed 28 hundred RPM's till operating temp is reached. I feel it's just best to let the cars engine reach the proper operating temps, especially in extreme cold temps. Shucks, I don't do well till I warm up.

Last edited by Lew; 12-18-2016 at 10:07 AM.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 11:00 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew View Post
Porsche 9, If just starting and left on idle, maybe it would double your driving time warm up. My VW Jetta TDI manual says don't exceed 28 hundred RPM's till operating temp is reached. I feel it's just best to let the cars engine reach the proper operating temps, especially in extreme cold temps. Shucks, I don't do well till I warm up.
When driving any car I don't exceed 2,500 rpm until the coolant is up to operating temperature and then I just double the time/distance before exceeding 3,500 RPMs to get the oil up to operating temps. Idling just takes longer, wastes gas, pollutes more then necessary and exposes the engine to below operating temps for longer. The engine just doesn't produce much heat at idle.

The owners manual specifically says not to let engine idle to warm up. It actually recommends to drive the vehicle at moderate speeds and avoid engine speeds above 4,200 rpm during the first 5 minutes. The TDI may be different but check the owners manual. 2,800 rpm on a diesel is pretty equivalent to 4,200 on the Boxster.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Old 12-18-2016, 01:37 PM   #32
Lew
So Blessed!

Garage
Porsche 9, what do you do when the wife says, honey warm up the car it's cold outside.
If it's cold out side here, I just turn on the heated seat for the wife and set the temp for 72 when on idle. In a few minutes it's toasty.

I'll check out my manual for the info you mentioned

Thanks!

Last edited by Lew; 12-18-2016 at 04:58 PM.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 02:49 PM   #33

I mostly let my boxster idle until warm too, I always thought it was a good thing, but I sold my boxster at 50k miles. Not saying idling to warm was the reason but my ims was also in good shape when pulled. The only problem my car experienced was a leak from a cam cover.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
Old 12-19-2016, 05:18 AM   #34
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Paid more attention to it today. 22F in the morning here. Took 10 minutes for the gauge to read 180F. I did not idle prior to driving off.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 06:19 PM   #35

Something to consider for the idle until warm guys.

Is Warming Up Your Car Bad? - Why You Should Never Warm Up Your Car in Winter
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Old 12-21-2016, 02:21 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
Something to consider for the idle until warm guys.

Is Warming Up Your Car Bad? - Why You Should Never Warm Up Your Car in Winter
We always advise warming up, and most, if not all, of our customers do. And as we offer UOA with service, the data collected over several years completely refutes what that article claims.
Old 12-21-2016, 08:21 AM   #37

Hmmm.... it's starting to sound like the question about which oil is best.

Has anyone done a scientific study on this with data to support the conclusion?

JFP in PA, do you have any details you can share?

I haven't warmed up a car in decades since fuel injection has been common with no ill effects to any of my cars that I am aware of. May have something to with having always lived in moderate weather states. I don't know but would love to see evidence of which is better. If the facts show something different I'm happy to change my mind.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Old 12-21-2016, 08:37 AM   #38

With having to ask my customers for permission to post their data, we offer UOA service which many customers avail themselves. As the result, we see quite a bit of data over cold weather usage on vehicles, some of which are religiously warmed up before driving, and others that are started and driven off. What I see as interesting concerning article is the claims for massive fuel dilution of the oil on cars that are allowed to warm up vs those that are not and subsequent oil breakdown. From our data, I see no statistically significant differences when comparing the oil analysis data from both segments, either in the level of fuel dilution, or the condition of the oil properties. As such, I have a hard time buying in to the concept that warming your engine is killing your oil by fuel dilution.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:01 AM   #39

Hello Quadcammer,

I have been recording my warm up times over the past several days. I really hope I don't piss off some people reading this thread, but here it goes....

I live in Arizona, in the Phoenix area. It has been pretty warm these past several days in the upper 40's and low 50's...Sorry mid west--SUCK IT!!!

On two occasions I started the car in the garage 2 minutes before driving and it took exactly 10 minutes to hit the 180 mark. Than another 2 minutes to reach the peak stable temperature (about one needle width above 180). On another two occasions I started the car and drove right away. Again, same exact results down to the minute.

These times were all consistent over a temperature span of 42 degrees to 54 degrees (OAT).

EDIT: I am using Total Motor Oil 5W40.

So....your car is right in there and sounds like its doing great OR we are both screwed.

Hope this helps!
BoomerRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:34 AM   #40

thanks for the additional feedback.

I actually google mapped it, and I guess I overestimated.

The car reached 180 degrees within 5.4 miles and 10 minutes, but only just. I don't get on the gas hard as soon as the coolant reaches 180 because I know the oil temp lags behind it quite a bit. Still seems long compared to my other cars, but such is life. Seems to be normal. Still going to do a 160 thermostat for track days, but doesn't seem to be an immediate necessity.

thanks again.

Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote