Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2016, 09:52 AM   #1

Aftermarket Exhaust / Mufflers

Did a search but surprisingly very little info posted. Who is using what and how does it sound? I'm looking for something a little louder but not over the top. I have to run my cats in my county, so removing them is not an option. I have heard that the Active brand by Vivid isn't quite loud enough. I have seen Beluga and Circuit Werks ads but have no sound clips.. Anyone shed some light?

rattlsnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 10:05 AM   #2
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

I have this:

http://www.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/-/-/-/item/item_details/VID_37172458-VCD_31224743-gid_0-sort_4-display_50-item_BES98605000S/BES98605000S_Sport_Muffler_`Brombacher`_986_S_Boxs ter__Sound_Version__Stainless_Steel__2x90mm.html

Perfect for the street. Sounds awesome, but not annoying on a cross-country trip.

You might want to to tell us what year and engine you have.
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 10:15 AM   #3

The real challenge is weight reduction.It is a massive weight at the wrong end of the car. Check the Racing Forum for ideas ?
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 10:31 AM   #4
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Well.......

.....the issue with the 986/987 Boxster muffler is that it is a "tuned" part of the engine balance system. The muffler was "tuned" by the engineers to absorb vibration and harmonics in the powertrain. It acts as a vibration damper.

Soooooo, if you install a super light muffler, you will get wicked annoying drones and other vibrations in the cabin.

If you are just driving her like a regular car, out in the "Real World", then you will want to keep it as OEM as possible. That's where the FVD Brombacher "Sound Version" muffler I posted works. Great sound, zero down side.

Now, if you are racing this thing, then sure, you can drop a lot of dead weight and put on some super light muffler. But that will drive you batty off the track.

There's no real point in installing a super light muffler, unless you've stripped the interior, all the carpeting, and gone on a diet yourself.

Good luck.
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 10:54 AM   #5

I understand and weight loss is not really the plan, it's more about sound. I did the fister mod on my 996 and its about perfect, so something similar.. It's a '97 2.5. I just picked it up for REALLY cheap and I dont drive it much and certainly not on any long drives, I just basically scoot around town and will do some AX. A friend of mine went with the Active and he said it was way too quiet and I dont really want to spend as much as the one you posted.. I assume the Circuit Wekrs and Beluga are too loud and might cause the issues you mentioned?
Old 12-03-2016, 11:01 AM   #6
Project Addicted

I installed a Top Speed for better sounds and it sounds great!! Very similar if not identical to the Manzo and other made in china systems. We removed the 2nd set of cats too which are really only needed in California.

Shop Around for the best prices:

http://www.redline360.com/topspeed-986-boxster-exhaust-rolled-tips?gclid=CjwKEAiA94nCBRDxismumrL83icSJAAeeETQGsT sFSr8rBnnglX7zhRWbDk44_pauDIEDocFQfKBphoCbeHw_wcB
1986 944, 2000 Boxster
jcslocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 12:22 PM   #7

I have the Top Speed on my 97 2.5 along with their sport headers. Lots and LOTS of cabin resonance between 2-3k rpm. It's deafening when I must raise the top and windows to poke along in traffic (in the rain or sweltering Houston heat and humidity).

If it were not for the outrageous heat buildup in the trunk and the weight, I'd put the factory muffler back on. And I just might anyway. I've taken my car from stock to a full race suspension and exhaust and now almost back to stock. The Porsche engineers really knew what they were doing when they designed the Boxster.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 12:39 PM   #8

Based on some of the feedback I read here, I put a beluga muffler (same as top speed, manzo, circuit werks, agency power etc) on my 04 S in the summer. I took it off the same day. It sounded great at high rpms but the drone around 3k was unbearable, to the point where it gave me a headache after 10-15 minutes. Mind you, I already had secondary cat deletes installed before I put the muffler on so your experience may vary. I currently have the cat deletes installed with the stock muffler and while I wouldn't mind if it was a bit louder, I'm alot happier than I was with the beluga. If I were to purchase a muffler now I would heavily lean towards something that provides a bit more sound but still retains the factory single chamber design (FVD, Dansk etc).
boxxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 12:47 PM   #9
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I like the idea of the bypass pipes. If you need the car to quiet down for a bit, you can stick in transom plugs and you're back to stock in a minute or two. When you want it louder, pop the plugs back out.
PSE would be nice, but cost and availability are prohibitive.

Last edited by particlewave; 12-03-2016 at 12:53 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 01:01 PM   #10
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
I like my Dansk sports exhaust a lot. No drone.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 05:48 PM   #11

Hmmm, bypass pipes would be nice. Great idea. Keeping all the tuned portions on and just adding a small escape route. That's basically the same thing the 993/996/997, etc. fister mod is and I love it on my 911. To me its the perfect sound. I have no idea why i didnt think to try that on this car. lol.. And its SUPER cheap! (As in like $20.00!)

This is how it looks on those cars. Basically same thing.

Old 12-03-2016, 06:23 PM   #12

OEM PSE (Porsche Sports Exhaust) are IMHO not loud enough. They look great and are OEM... but. I went from an OEM muffler modified by FDM FD Motorsports » Fister Exhaust – Boxster to the PSE. The FDM had a better note. I deleted my secondary cats to give it some additional sound.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 06:28 PM   #13

So you liked the Fister sound over the PSE? What did you do with your old setup?? lol..
Old 12-03-2016, 07:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattlsnak View Post
So you liked the Fister sound over the PSE? What did you do with your old setup?? lol..
Liked the sound of the Fister and the looks of the PSE. Sold the Fister.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 02:04 AM   #15

I would like to hear the results of this mod. It should give the flow and sound of a straight through but without drone and look stock.
https://nineauto.com.au/2016/04/14/exhaust-modifications-without-the-drone/
WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 05:09 AM   #16

Sport Exhaust

I have seen some cut away views of the stock exhaust but haven't seen one of the PSE. Has anyone opened up the muffler? I want to go a bit louder but cannot afford 2k plus on a good muffler and don't want the drone from the cheaper stuff.
rczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 05:23 AM   #17
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rczap View Post
I have seen some cut away views of the stock exhaust but haven't seen one of the PSE. Has anyone opened up the muffler? I want to go a bit louder but cannot afford 2k plus on a good muffler and don't want the drone from the cheaper stuff.
Why would anyone cut open a factory PSE muffler? It already has the bypass valves, and you can basically see where the bypass pipes feed from the outside of the muffler. My Dansk exhaust sounds better than stock, there's no drone whatsoever that I can detect, and it's not anywhere near $2000. If I recall correctly, I got mine for $750. Or, you can have a muffler shop fabricate a PSE with 2 pipes, and it won't drone either (for much less money than a new exhaust).

Old 12-06-2016, 06:29 AM   #18

I have the "Pedro Sport Exhaust" on my '98, and it sounds very nice, but it's a bit louder than I would like, particularly on longer drives. I'm considering putting the OEM muffler back on the car, but do like the "growl" the PSE exhaust provides.

1985 Porsche Carrera Targa - Guards Red

1978 Porsche 911SC Euro Non-Sunroof - Grand Prix White
Seadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 06:41 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy View Post
Why would anyone cut open a factory PSE muffler? It already has the bypass valves, and you can basically see where the bypass pipes feed from the outside of the muffler. My Dansk exhaust sounds better than stock, there's no drone whatsoever that I can detect, and it's not anywhere near $2000. If I recall correctly, I got mine for $750. Or, you can have a muffler shop fabricate a PSE with 2 pipes, and it won't drone either (for much less money than a new exhaust).
It is way too quiet for me. That is why, unless someone nearby would like to trade.
Rich
rczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 07:16 AM   #20
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rczap View Post
It is way too quiet for me. That is why, unless someone nearby would like to trade.
Rich
What is way too quiet for you? Which exhaust do you have? What model year is yours?