Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2016, 01:28 PM   #1

Garage
Alternator Removal

Hi all,
I'm in the process of an alternator replacement, and I cannot for the life of me get it out. I have the lower (passenger side) bolt loosened so that it can pivot and I'll be able to get it out. I loosened the idler pulley bolt a couple turns and sprayed the rear bushing with WD-40 and a rust solvent. I've been using a soft hammer to hit the bolt to knock the rear alternator bushing loose with no luck. I've let the bushing sit with both sprays on it overnight, with no luck. There's no room to safely fit anything like a torch. What do you suggest I do? Is there another way to get this off that i'm not seeing?

cornontherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 01:35 PM   #2

WD 40 is a Water Dispersant.
Try Kroil by Cano Labs.
There was a recent thread on this subject with some good links and suggestions.
While you are waiting for the repeated applications of Kroil to work over a period of many days, check the pulley bearings and w/p bearing.
No flames ! Save the hammer until the Kroil has had a chance. Did you read the Pelican diy article?
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 03:35 PM   #3

Garage
I've been using the pelican article, however I'll try the Kroil and let it sit for a couple days! Thanks!
Old 11-22-2016, 03:51 PM   #4

You are right on track, it does take a good wack on the bolt though. Just went through this. Next would be the same method after PB blaster soak for me.
Lapister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 05:09 PM   #5

Garage
Alright, it turns out that the other solution I had been using was also PB blaster. So I re-applied generously, turned up the heat in the garage, and I'll let it sit overnight. However, it has made seemingly zero progress with the hammer method. Would you recommend getting an air hammer and doing it? Or should I just bite the bullet and take it into the local shop
Old 11-22-2016, 07:56 PM   #6

Call me at 512-925-9171 tomorrow, Saturday or sunday
Old 11-23-2016, 03:06 PM   #7

I just did mine this week.
Zero issues, maybe I got lucky.

WD40 on the bushing, then a good wack with a hammer and a punch on the head of the iddler bolt after loosening 3-4 turns.

I found that once the bushing was loose, I removed the alternator mount bolt and had to wiggle it out by pushing up then tilting before pulling out.

Installing the new alternator was a little more tricky. I had to wiggle it in without the long bolt, then tilt the alternator a little to allow the long bolt to go in... then the mount bolt last.
2002 Boxster S - NHP 200 Cell Headers,test pipes,Borla CatBack,Competition Plenum,74 mm TB, EVOMS Tune,Tarett UDP,Eibach Swaybars,BIlstein PSS9s,TuneRS rear toe links,wheel studs,15 mm wheel spacers on all 4,EBC yellow stuff pads,Sebro rotors, EBS oil baffles,160 deg Thermostat,2 quart Accusump,full filtration remote oil filter,rad fan switch,custom gauge/switch plate, Race Capture data logging, 90K miles
AZ986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 03:34 PM   #8

Just did it myself too a month or two ago. It certainly is a pain - just keep hitting and struggling and cursing. Spray the bushings with PB Blaster or similar product. Leverage with screwdrivers. It'll come out eventually. Don't give up!

http://imgur.com/a/k0Wtl - My 914-6 Build/Project Story
patssle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 03:40 PM   #9

Just a hint - when they say "Hit", I hope they mean tap or rap . Tapping and any other motion helps the penetrant seek a way through the corrosion. Patience & Persistence. Hit too hard and the damage may be expensive. Squirt the KROIL on the obstinate part from different angles if you can.
Good luck !
Old 11-24-2016, 05:29 AM   #10

Garage
Okay I've been repeatedly hitting and reapplying the pb blaster over the course of the past two days. Zero luck so far. I've sprayed the bushing from both in front and behind, yet no luck. Gentle taps all the way to hard hits. So I tried that, it didn't work. I also did the same thing while prying the alternator upwards with a pry bar. Still no luck
Old 11-24-2016, 05:31 PM   #11

You've been hitting the bolt that goes into the bushing? And prying at the right side of the alternator underneath trying to force it up.

http://imgur.com/a/k0Wtl - My 914-6 Build/Project Story
patssle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 06:14 AM   #12

Garage
Edit:
Bushing has been loosened. It took a couple more hours of pounding and re-applying pb blaster into the bushing, along with a copious amount of wiggling, but it's finally loosened. However, the next issue is getting the alternator out of the space it's currently in. Right now, the lower (left) bolt is blocking it from coming out. I've been attempting to maneuver it out, but I figure if anyone here has done this before and knows exactly the trick to getting it out, I'd appreciate it! 

Last edited by cornontherob; 11-26-2016 at 07:41 AM.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:32 AM   #13

Any update?

Hope you get it all squared away.
DWBOX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 11:18 AM   #14

Garage
Unfortunately I've been out of state for a few days so I haven't had the chance to really get at it. I was cut short on my time getting it out, so hopefully tonight or tomorrow I can get it out
Old 11-28-2016, 05:52 PM   #15

Garage
Okay so this should help visualize my current issue. I can't get it past the lip of this bolt hole. I don't know if there's a certain way to wiggle it, or if those who have attempted it have successfully removed the whole thing.

Pictured:
Red: Entire plate for the cooling system, held on by numerous bolts
Blue: The lip that I can't seem to clear

http://imgur.com/a/Nb2Jo
Old 11-28-2016, 07:40 PM   #16
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
After getting the bushing loose, you can remove the pulley bolt and the lower bolt. Lift and rotate the alternator counter-clockwise and it should be able to move free of the lip.
Old 11-29-2016, 01:20 PM   #17

Garage
I apologize, I took that prior to removing the idler pulley bolt and the lower bolt. However, if counterclockwise is the way to go, then I'll try it for awhile and see if it comes out
Old 11-29-2016, 02:14 PM   #18

Garage
Alright, it's out, tested, and a new one is about to be on its way. Thanks for everyone's help!
Old 11-29-2016, 02:52 PM   #19

I suggest you might do a write-up of what you learned about Alternator Removal for those who follow ? Particularly which things to loosen/remove & which way to rotate and why.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:17 PM   #20

Garage
Will do. Hopefully I can get a thread going in the technical help area in the next few days. New alternator ships in first thing tomorrow.