Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2006, 05:54 PM   #1

A few problems with my car

So the other day i went out for the night. I parked my car for awhile at a friends place. When i was ready to leave it was raining a bit. I get in the car and turn it on and the windsheild wipers wont work, the head lights wont work and the de-froster wont work either. I turned the car off and on a few times and then everything worked fine. So then tonight when i get in my car to drive home the same thing happened only this time it wouldn't work even when i turned the car off and on. So i had to drive home with out my head lights working, but about half way home i figured out that if i hold down the "brights" on my head light that they would turn on but when i let go it would just turn back off. Any ideas on whats causing this?

Old 06-14-2006, 06:06 PM   #2

Did you buy the Boxster with the Microsoft 986 operating system? You probably have the Z4 virus. Just re-boot your car (shift-clutch-down window). After that, you'll want to install a McAfee Boxster firewall which should stop this and the RMS problem from happening (You can get RMS if you drive too close to a S2000 or Z4).

Good Luck.

Okay. Kidding (like it's not obvious). Just couldn't resist. I'm sure others have an actual answer/solution.

But seriously, I here that a NOS system would cure that....

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 06:19 PM   #3

Hmm, it might have to do with bad-ignition key. I had a similar problem. Try turning on the car and if again nothing works move the key a tiny bit to the left so you can hear a click, see if that would work.

I hope I am not wrong but let us know!
aBsOlUt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 06:54 PM   #4

Ya, you were right. I just turned the key alittle to the left and then everything worked. So does the ignition key need to be replaced? Should i take it to the dealer ship or could i do that my self? Any idea on what that would cost?
Old 06-14-2006, 07:02 PM   #5

Its not the key, it is the ignition switch. Do yourself a favor and buy the switch online,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-Porsche-Carrerra-996-Boxster-911-Ignition-Switch-OE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33576QQitemZ80737683 87QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Bring the part to your mechanic (or dealership) if you do not feel comfortable doing it yourself. I am 99% sure that is your problem, and it will solve all those symptoms you described. I had the same thing happen to mine i.e. windshield wipers, headlights, blower fan etc. Replaced it and everything is absolutely perfect. It cost me $250 I believe but I didn;t buy the part online. Hope this helps
Old 06-14-2006, 07:03 PM   #6

My warranty covered a complete replacement of the ignition mechanism. There are a few forum posts that can give you some answers instead of waiting I believe.

If you do not have warranty it might be a bit expensive from your dealer.
aBsOlUt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 04:28 PM   #7

When i replace this would have have to get a new key or have the key reprogramed?
Old 06-16-2006, 09:40 AM   #8

Nope, don't need a new key or reprogramming. Did you get that part?