Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2006, 03:59 PM   #1

Tricks for folding plastic rear screen?

All,

I’ve tried searching through the forums for similar queries but to no avail, so apologies if this question has been asked previously.

I’ve got an MY02 Boxster S that is fantastic in every way save for the plastic rear screen. For some reason I just can’t get the screen to fold correctly by itself when putting the roof down – each and every time I have to stop the roof half way, get out of the car, do the ‘karate chop’ to get the crease going horizontally rather than vertically, then get back in and finish the process. I know that I could have the roof replaced with an aftermarket glass screen version, but that’s an expense I don’t really want to incur given the roof is otherwise in perfect condition.

I had thought that ambient temperature would have something to do with it, but I’ve owned the car for about 6 months now and encountered the problem in temperatures between about 3-36 Celcius (38-96 Farenheit I think), so that doesn’t seem to make too much of a difference.

Does anyone have any tricks for getting the roof to fold the correct (horizontal) way without requiring manual intervention each time the roof is opened?

Thanks,

James

jamesatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 05:12 PM   #2

hey everyone, knows how you feel.I never got out of my car.i would reach back as the top was folded and guide it with my hand,sometimes squeezing the fold.but on a brighter note as we speak my box is getting the gahh glass window upgrade.finally i can just press the button sit back and enjoy.
arcticnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 06:29 PM   #3

yea I do the karate chop too. Never fails everytime I drop top I get halfway, get out of the car, crease it and then get back in and finish. I didn't know you could replace with glass on my year - '00. You know how much?
2003 MBenz ML350 SUV
Hoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 06:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier
yea I do the karate chop too. Never fails everytime I drop top I get halfway, get out of the car, crease it and then get back in and finish. I didn't know you could replace with glass on my year - '00. You know how much?

Here is a link to the glass window top.GAHH Top

I am having one installed this week due to my car being broken into.
I always did the window chop as well.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...tar14266_4.gif
EX-88 951, 87 951, 86 944na, 85.5 944na 00 Audi S4..01 Boxster S .etc..etc
Marc Gelefsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 07:59 PM   #5

Thanks all for your suggestions - unfortunately it seems the only real options are to continue with the manual 'intervention' whenever the roof is opened, or replace the whole thing with an aftermarket glass screen roof?

I was hoping someone had come up with something neat like a solid fabric insert to help the roof fold in a particular way, but it seems no such luck. Might have to spend a quiet weekend opening & closing the roof and see if I can't figure something out for myself...

James
Old 06-15-2006, 05:30 AM   #6

I only have to chop mine when it is cold, as when warm it fold properly.

I have always thought that if you could stich in a solid re-inforcement at the top of the window, this would prevent the vertical crease from forming and the top would drop properly. It wouldn't have to be big, just a think metal bar, which could be covered in fabric.

Just a thought..

Mike
99-Boxster-MK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 06:01 AM   #7

There's a solution to the same problem in the S2000s plastic top which my buddy showed me. I'm trying to find a link to it right now...it's basically two straps that add tension to the screen so it folds properly. I'll post a link as soon as I find it...it may work (or something similar for the Box)

-Adam
BentleyJava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 06:04 AM   #8

I have no crease and I haven't done the chop in ages.

Let it fold correctly by slowly lowering it , DON'T TOUCH IT.
THen let it sit with the top down for a few hours.
Cover the interior with a sheet (awat from bad UV rays)
later on, Raise it and then lower it again without touching.
See if it works.
Some times it helps to leave the top partially open at the point wher the window
has folded correctly for a while too.

After time it will just remember where to fold.
Some people just give up too soon and go for the chop.

Use Plexus and Renovo
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 06:05 AM   #9

Mike - thanks for that suggestion - I might look into achieving the bracing with a thin clear plastic rod along the top of the rear screen.

Adam - any link you can dig up would be most appreciated.

Thanks again,

James
Old 06-15-2006, 09:51 AM   #10

Or if there was a way to do the chop from the inside, which I guess would be more a karate pull rather than a chop. I had though about taping some fishing line to the middle part of the window where I have to chop it and then just pull on it while I open the top. Aside from it possible looking kinda crappy/hooptie, it might just work. I'm interested in that bracing thingy as well.

I think part of it too is plastic loses elasticity over time, sun, elements, etc.

thanks,
Larez2
larez2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 11:59 AM   #11

Be careful karate chopping the top. I once chopped right through a plastic Miata windw. Just take it easy when you do it.
oversteerdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 12:35 PM   #12
boggtown

All youd need if you wanted to do it from the inside is a suction cup. Im pretty sure thatd be an easy way. Plus you could keep it inside the storage box so no one would know.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:49 AM   #13

I have never understood this. When the car was new and being shown at the dealer I doubt the car had this flaw (or did it). Seems hard to believe that Porsche would have distributed this knowing you had to jump out and chop the window. It is the most annoying thing on an otherwise great car.
ROW M030 Suspension
Front & Rear Strut Braces
B&M Short Shift & EVO Billet Linkage
steve00s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 07:52 AM   #14

Maybe an "admin" can create a "top" section on the board to consolidate all the information/threads.. just a thought...
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 10:02 AM   #15

I think the issue is that the rear plastic window is just that. PLASTIC. It will behave differently in different climates and conditions.

Most everyone here is aware that often times a 'chop' is a good thing to do to get the window to fold correctly, especially at lower temperatures. Makes sense, as plastic will become more firm when it's cool, and vice, will become more flexible when it's warm.

I think the best thing one can do is be cautious, observe the window's flex when opening the top. Keep the window clean, and avoid exposure to chemicals. Use a reputable product to clean and condition it, and it should last a long time.

The alternate solution is to replace the top with a glass rear window top. Remember that your top WILL wear out. One CAN get a LONG service life out of it if it's well cared for, but eventually, it will likely have to be replaced.

FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote