Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2016, 02:50 AM   #1

Garage
Lightbulb Paint Job

Hey folks, I was wondering if anyone has an idea on how much it would cost to have my car totally repainted. I am currently in Ottawa, ON Canada but if it is much cheaper (probably is) to drive across the boarder from here to have it done I would consider it. I mainly wanted my front bumper and hood done but most places I went too said they would not be able to exactly match the original colour (Orient Red) due to colour fade etc... I certainly don't want to be driving around with two colours....

Thoughts?

Thanks
DrC.

Old 11-17-2016, 04:07 AM   #2

I'm sure you've heard the saying "speed cost money. How fast do you want to go?" Same thing goes for paint and the person spraying it. I'd imagine with that color (red is one of the most expensive) you'll spend at least $1000 just in good material.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:11 AM   #3
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
It is really amazing how expensive automotive paint has become. Then add in the cost of an experienced painter and viola you are spending big cash.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 08:44 AM   #4

Garage
Has anyone had their car re-painted - how much was it?
Old 11-17-2016, 09:00 AM   #5

How about a wrap? Any ideas on how much that would cost?
ianacole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 09:03 AM   #6

A good paint job is 5k+. It all depends how picky you are.

A good paint job is 99% prep. Shooting a car is couple of hours but the prep could easily be 100hrs plus. But if you take everything off the car yourself and block sand it and leave it in primer a good shop will charge maybe 1.5k to shoot it paint cost included.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 09:18 AM   #7

Why do you want to paint the whole car if only the front bumper and hood needs to be painted?

Today we have digital color reader systems that can determine colors exactly.

Also you can blend in paint from old to new areas.

Maybe you'll need somebody who knows how to paint a car.

Regards, Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 03:26 PM   #8

I was quoted, in Canadian dollars, just over $1000 to do the front bumper on my 987. Take it off, strip it, sand it, prime it and repaint it.

Car is silver - they said it would match. The technology is out there to match pretty much anything, for a price.

This is a highly reputable shop so assume this would be the high end to do the bumper alone.
Old 11-17-2016, 04:49 PM   #9

A wrap will run you about ~$2000 on average...

you might get it a bit cheaper since the boxster is so small and relatively simple as far as surface curves. Standard colors without metallic affects and texture are a bit cheaper than some of the matte, satin, pearl, etc. colors and patterned vinyl. Materials cost is probably around $350-400+ if you are using a good brand (3M, Oracal or Avery) and I would highly recommend using a good brand. If your paint is poor (oxidized) or really chipped, vinyl will not fill in the blemished. It will cover very light scratches but not much else. Lifespan is about 4-7 years depending on how much your drive it, climate (sun exposure), and how carefully you drive it (gravel roads?).
papasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 05:23 PM   #10

Let me know, DrCactus, where you go and how much. I am in Ottawa also and considering a paint job. But I want to change colour altogether. Oh, and I heard good things about Kanata Collision, of this helps.

Thanks!
CDNIcecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 08:05 PM   #11
CEL P0306

Garage
I just had my front bumper painted for $853.80. It was pretty beat up, particularly with scrapes on the underside. Looks great now and matches well. Sort of a garage queen so fading not so much of an issue. Shop was recommended by my indy.
I previously used dr colorchip on the hood with decent results.
aczyzewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 02:50 AM   #12

Paint job cost

I recently had my hood, front bumper and two front fenders repainted and paid $1,600.00, which included repairing the front bumper. My car is Arena Red and they were able to match the color and blend it with the rest of the car. The shop I used is certified by my insurance company and they do a lot of insurance work for the major insurers. My advice is to get the names of a few certified shops from your insurance company and get estimates. You may end up paying more but the job will be done well and should last a long time. My shop gave me a 5 year warranty on their work.
Alfieg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 02:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCactus View Post
Hey folks, I was wondering if anyone has an idea on how much it would cost to have my car totally repainted. I am currently in Ottawa, ON Canada but if it is much cheaper (probably is) to drive across the boarder from here to have it done I would consider it. I mainly wanted my front bumper and hood done but most places I went too said they would not be able to exactly match the original colour (Orient Red) due to colour fade etc... I certainly don't want to be driving around with two colours....

Thoughts?

Thanks
DrC.
It is really tough to match old paint and even if it does match perfectly when they paint it, it will fade at different rates. The better paint shops will do a fade on the surrounding panels to make transition less noticeable. An entire paint job is very, very costly as there is tons of prep work involved. It is on the cost level of an engine swap.

Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote