Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2016, 05:58 PM   #21

CurtV - that's insane. It looks like the cord reinforcing structure inside the rubber just disintegrated. Could it have been from running underinflated / overheated?

Old 11-15-2016, 02:21 AM   #22

@Kurt V (or anyone else for that matter) is that the proper way to replace a damaged rear tire? For example, on my old 993 (1997 993 Turbo) to replace the rear tire using the space saver spare, you put the FRONT tire on the rear, and then put the SPARE on the front. Is the Boxster different this way? Thanks.

I've been lucky over the past +10 of Porsche motoring, and many long road trips. No failed tires. But I've had a few nail,s and used the tire plug kit successfuly. It just takes Hurculean strength to use the reamer tool and plug. If you can, it's a lot easier to remove the wheel to get leverage. But you can't usually do that on the side of the road.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 04:07 AM   #23

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavor 987S View Post
@Kurt V (or anyone else for that matter) is that the proper way to replace a damaged rear tire? For example, on my old 993 (1997 993 Turbo) to replace the rear tire using the space saver spare, you put the FRONT tire on the rear, and then put the SPARE on the front. Is the Boxster different this way
Interesting question. Have never had to use the temporary spare in my 986 and had never considered this as an option. I'll wait for more responses
Cbonilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 06:22 AM   #24

The tires had less than 2000 miles on them and I had just checked the tire pressure before leaving on my trip. Not sure what happened. Just felt it suddenly go flat. Fortunately it was a rear tire so my steering wasn't really affected.

As to where to install the spare, the manual says put it on the front. I installed it on the rear as I wasn't sure how reliable it was and if it was going to fail I would rather have it fail in the rear as opposed to the front. Again my reasoning was I didn't want a tire failure to affect the steering. As it was, the spare worked out just fine. Really couldn't tell I was riding on the spare other than the funny red color of the wheel and the skinny tire!
'76 BMW R75/6
'73 Honda Scrambler
Kurt V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 03:14 PM   #25

Is the spare tire safe?

Has anyone tried a 16 x 7 or 16 x 8 et50 something in the front or rear trunk? I have a set of 16 inch wheels but no tires on them right now. If 16 or 17 inch wheel with front tire size would fit, going on a trip would be a lot more palpable than other options. 16 inch wheels are dirt cheap unless u go with magnesium. A lot less expensive than a spare

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by ymkmkrz; 11-15-2016 at 03:17 PM.
ymkmkrz is offline   Reply With Quote