Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2016, 10:48 AM   #1

Garage
03 - 04 cup holder removal?

Does anyone know how to remove the cup holder in an 03? it's a cartridge looking part and I assume there are some clips that need to be released.

2003 S, 6 Speed, PCM, PSM, Bose, Litronics with washers, on its' second LN IMSB, comfort top, UDP, 987 engine mount, 997 RMS, Koni Sport Shocks, H&R springs, Techno brace, comfort blinkers, nin8six windscreen, particlewave light up cubby
Coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 11:26 AM   #2

Garage
My cupholder "broke" on me and so I had to remove it too. The thing with the slim cup holder on 03-04 is that you not only need to remove the horse shoe, radio, and ac, but the damn frame that goes around those and remove the ac vents above. Look at this diagram:

Accessories Dashboard Trim 03-

See how 12 (the cupholder) is stuck behind 13 (the support frame)? So to remove the support frame, you have to remove all the things i've mentioned above. It $!@#! sucks, I know.

As for my cupholder being "broken", it wouldn't close, as if some plastic part or piece was stuck in it. I had ordered a new one, did all of this work to get it out, and then I flipped it over which loosened whatever was stuck and it would close properly again! And that's was my first foray into brilliant German engineering and learning not to buy parts until doing a proper diagnosis. Good luck with the removal!
ttmedical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 12:20 PM   #3

The only "clips" are how the exterior horseshoe attaches to the dash. After that it is screws. I posted a few pictures in this thread from the time I replaced my cupholders. Make sure to keep track of what wires plug to what switches when you take it apart!
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 03:46 PM   #4

Garage
Thank you both!
2003 S, 6 Speed, PCM, PSM, Bose, Litronics with washers, on its' second LN IMSB, comfort top, UDP, 987 engine mount, 997 RMS, Koni Sport Shocks, H&R springs, Techno brace, comfort blinkers, nin8six windscreen, particlewave light up cubby
Old 11-12-2016, 05:15 PM   #5

Garage
Thanks! Got it out. My connections were color coded, no tape needed. I have a PSM 2.0 and didn't even have to unconnect it. Pulled the horseshoe, then the vent, then the PCM/frame/cup holder combo out and popped the cup holder out the back by releasing the clips. Snapped the new one in - viola