Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2006, 06:25 PM   #1

Where can I buy these tail lights?

I am the owner of a 2001 Boxster S and I am in the market for these tail lights. I'm not crazy about the black/red look...I like the completely smoked out look like this. Kinda makes it seem like it blends right into the body, especially on a black one (mine).

tekron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 03:30 AM   #2

I actually saw tail light like that on e-bay a few months ago. I think they were being modified or tinted whatever you call it by a guy out of his house. I think they are cool too, probably not legal for street use. Anyway keep checking e-bay , thinking they were around 180ish a pair.

I found the link here you go.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Black-Red-Tail-Lights-Porsche-Boxster-986-Beacon_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33716QQitemZ8073 192239QQrdZ1

Last edited by ohioboxster; 06-12-2006 at 03:34 AM. Reason: found link
ohioboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 06:20 AM   #3

I saw those as well - they had headlights too. But, it sounded pretty hokey. Not that I don't trust some guy making lighting modifications in his house. For all I know he's a Wiz with a Sharpie!

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 06:44 AM   #4

Hi,

ohioboxster makes a good point. These will certainly be restricted to off road use and not legal to use on public streets.

Aside from calling undue attention to yourself from the local gendarmerie, you also give your insurance co. cause to go sideways if ever you have an accident or injury claim because you modified the Car with non-road rated parts, especially if the incident occurred at night. And they'd use that excuse in a heartbeat to avoid any kind of medium to large payout.

All this aside, they look awful (you may like them, but Bad Taste exists everywhere) and will cause people to think you're a Ricer who's graduated from Hondas and Subi's...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 09:03 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Travis
Tekron -

Here is a link that provides for a set of "Smoked" taillights and side markers, which were said to be DOT approved.

The smoked effect is not as dramatic as your photo, which is a little too dark IMHO.

http://www.lltek.com/porschtek/homeportek.htm

(Look under 986 lighting.)

-Travis
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 10:34 AM   #6

Thanks for that link and thanks to all who helped out with advice. Those lights you just provided are much more attractive anyway, so it's a win-win here. Thanks once again!
tekron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 03:08 PM   #7

Just fund these Black Tail Lights on ebay

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 03:39 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Travis
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabel
Just fund these Black Tail Lights on ebay

Hmmm.....

$150.00 plus shipping (funny how he does not mention the cost of shipping) for a used set of hand painted errr I mean "Coated" tail lights that you will not be able to use on USA streets.

FYI:

1. Check his feedback . . Oh it is private you can not.

2. Multiple complaints the last month (that's why his feedback is private)

3. Send him an email and request if they are DOT approved and what the cost of shipment to the US is. (Hmmm.. won't reply 'cause he is too busy painting in his backyard in Germany)

Of cource this is just my humble opinion . . . I could be wrong, but I doubt it
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 09:57 PM   #9

I agree, I dont trust anybody that hides feedback. You can just imagine what it says...."Received tail lights, junk, look hand painted" lol