Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2006, 06:13 AM   #1

Unhappy Someone backed into bumper

Washed my car yesterday and noticed that someone hit my bumper and now I have a nice crack in the paint, passenger side. My question is, do I have to get the whole bumper redone or can this cracked be filled in and repainted? If it can be filled in and painted...will it look crappy? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Denash

denash01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 10:10 AM   #2

Same thing happened to me awhile back. It was a big dent with crack of the paint at the right corner of the rear bumper. The shop was able to fix it for me without replacing it. If you want to, I will post the before and after photo of the bumper.

Good luck!

Richard
rctboxsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 12:30 PM   #3

Richard,

Would really like to see the pictures you have, and how long did it take for them to fix?

Thanks a million!

Denash
Old 06-14-2006, 01:34 PM   #4

There's generally no reason they can't fix it and repaint. However, they are going to have to remove and re-paint the entire bumper. You don't say what color or how old the vehicle is - but that can have a lot to do with just how good the match is. I had some body work on my '99 Artic Silver Boxster and it looks PERFECT. Be sure to go with someone who actually works on Porsches and/or other high-end sports cars. They are used to people expecting perfection and are used to matching German paint.

Good Luck.

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 03:04 PM   #5

Denash01,

Sorry I couldn't locate the photo of the damaged bumper but I think I posted it up on this site awhile ago because I was so pissed that day. Anyway, you can check out my new thread. It has the photo of the repaired bumper. It looks perfect, at least to me.

I don't know exactly how long it took to repair the bumper because I also had the shop painted and installed the front bumper, sideskirts, and the bumperettes along with the fixing the damage. It took the shop exactly one week to complete everything.

Good luck!

Richard

Also, I totally agree with Denverpete about the paint matching issue. There will always some sort of problem between the old and new paint so make sure the shop has experienced with color matching.
rctboxsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 05:26 AM   #6

Thanks for the input, looks like its not going to be that big of a deal after all. By the way Denverpete, I have an 01 and mines the same color as yours. Hopefully, I'll have just as good luck as you guys.

Richard...went to your old posts and found the link for the picture but file was expired, anyway thanks again for the reply.

Take care,
Denash01