Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2016, 06:17 PM   #1
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Another reminder, save the racing for the track

If you have any drivers, young or old, that need a reminder that speed kills, have them watch this. This happened yesterday, a block south of where I worked. The street they were on has 3 S/B lanes with a very wide center median. If they started at Foothill, they had been running for about a mile before they went over the R/R tracks. 4:30 PM traffic and the lights must have had them dicing back and forth. The driver must have gotten a little air over the tracks and lost control. Go figure, a Chevy HHR isn't a very good rally car. The tree he wrapped himself around is old, thick and solid thankfully. What a needless, stupid, total waste.

In California, when they catch up with the Camaro, the driver will face murder charges.

Person Killed in High-Speed Upland Crash May Have Been Involved in Street Race | KTLA

rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 06:47 AM   #2

Numerous thoughts...

Being that young, I'm sure the driver felt invincible. Looking at the video, he must have been out of control for a long time before crashing.

Why would you race along a tree lined street?

Hopefully someone caught a partial plate on the Camaro. Otherwise, finding a dark colored Camaro might be a bit difficult. I imagine there's more than 1 in SoCal.

I was never one to race on the street, but DEing really shows the absurdity of street racing or solo spirited driving. DEs teach the level of attn. required to go fast while under control. So many things can happen on the street that ramp up the odds of failure - failure that can cost innocent people their lives. DEing really does reduce the desire to run fast on the street.

I generally don't think this way before a DE, but the first time I drove at Kansas Speedway I thought about how a mistake could cost me my life. Driving is serious business. We take it for granted.

I have never been a fan of the show "Street Outlaws". It encourages stupidity. And either the police are idiots in OKC or the show has their unofficial blessing because they should be able to track down these scofflaws if they wanted to. Such a stupid premise for a show.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)

Last edited by husker boxster; 10-28-2016 at 06:51 AM.
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 07:04 AM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

Good post and a good reminder for all of us.

I always remind myself of what the consequences could be when I'm at the track. I do this to remind myself that my #1 goal is to come home healthy at the end of the day. That doesn't mean that I race in a state of fear or that I'm not willing to push to or over the limit. It just means that I try to keep my wits about me and see things in a proper perspective.

Stay safe out there.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 07:58 AM   #4

I grew up in go karts...before I could even ride a bicycle. It made me respect the unpredictable nature of speed. Karting should be part of driver's education in schools. Maybe they'll take it to the karting track instead of pretending to be Vin Diesel.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 02:30 PM   #5
Racer Boy

The good news is that no innocent bystanders were taken out by the colossal stupidity of the drivers that were racing.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 04:13 PM   #6
Track rat

Garage
Yikes! I saw the news choppers while having dinner out on my deck. I thought it was a fwy pileup. I drive past this spot several times per week.

RIP young lad.
Old 10-28-2016, 05:16 PM   #7

Darwin award winner. That's some insane carnage. Did you folks notice that engine ejected from the vehicle? Couldn't help notice it was turbocharged.
Old 10-29-2016, 01:17 AM   #8
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
I have never been a fan of the show "Street Outlaws". It encourages stupidity. And either the police are idiots in OKC or the show has their unofficial blessing because they should be able to track down these scofflaws if they wanted to. Such a stupid premise for a show.
Reading your post I remembered seeing it in the news about two years ago when they came to Tulsa. The whole show was completely staged on a road they had paid to close for 15 hours. Local ambulance and off duty cops were paid to be on scene, and anyone outside the production crew was told they'd be arrested if they loitered in the area.
Bad show that just inspires stupidity.
http://www.newson6.com/story/26001326/officials-closing-tulsa-road-for-illegal-street-racing
http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/nhra-cracks-down-on-the-dumbest-fake-street-racing-show-1688422495

I linked my 'weekly safety tip' thread here for this week. Thanks for posting Rex.

Last edited by 78F350; 10-30-2016 at 10:37 AM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote