Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2016, 12:25 PM   #21

There is an 04 "S" engne for sale on Rennlist now. $4500

achillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 05:22 PM   #22

I just put in google "Boxster engines for sale" and found many from 2300 to 11k. There there just do research and figure out which option works for you. Maybe rebuilt, swap. or could be walk away.
fanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 06:32 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgkram View Post
Not to start anything but I have to agree with PATSSLE, and strongly disagree with dghii. These cars, S or not, are simply not worth a whole lot if you plan to resell. A price tag of $11 to $13k is absolutely ludicrous. While that may be an asking price I guarantee it IS NOT the sale price. Get a good engine for as little as you can spend on these things and enjoy what time you have with it.
So I guess I didn't sell my 2003S with 105K miles locally for $14.5K last year. It did have LN bearing already done.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 06:38 PM   #24

Read this and weep -unless you keep it for a very long time !
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/63955-%2410-916-83-later.html
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 07:59 AM   #25

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by achillies View Post
Thx, I'll take a look
Cbonilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 09:01 AM   #26

Garage
Quote:
This seller is raising some red flags for me.

Alhough he is listing it on Rennlist, and describes himself as "Porsche aircooled lover for over 43 years as factory trained me", he has only been a rennlist member since January 2016. He is not a membre of RennTech or 986forum under that name. He is selling on pelican, but only joined on 10/9/16. Looks like he has only participated to sell stuff and not on the forum itself

He responded to an email with:

"Engine was removed for a 996 install that was supercharged!

Engine has 46,000 miles on it out of 2004 car and I did IMS upgrade while out on engine stand.

It was run within year and is secured inside and turn it over on a regular basis as plugs were removed and lubricant installed to preserve it and is stick and condition is great."

His ad has pics of the engine showing it on a stand, with detail of the IMS bearing. Problem is that the pics doesn't match up with the LN pics of a genuine bearing (although he never claims it was an LN replacement, I believe that is the most common). Compare

Is it Genuine? – IMS Retrofit
Boxter S Engine 2004 46,000 miles $4,600 all offers considered! - Rennlist Discussion Forums

Although he does have an attractive web site, he doesn't have a street address and doesn't exist on Yelp

All in all, too many red flags. Or am I being too unreasonable?

Update: He listed the same engine on Pelican with a different picture. Another reader posted that picture as coming from an Ebay ad!

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-boxster-cayman-996-997-parts-sale-wanted/931719-boxter-s-engine-sale.html

From a post on Pelican selling a 930 trans:

I was trying to buy this transmission about 6 months ago on rennist. while we were working on a deal, I noticed his post was removed form the forum, when I asked him he said he removed it..... I contacted the moderator and was informed it was removed and flagged for being a scam. I informed him I changed my mind and what I had learned. Larry followed up with a rude email... so yes, all signs did point to being ripped off.

As of now I'm thinking "If it looks like a duck..." and I'm steering clear

Carlos

Last edited by Cbonilla; 10-26-2016 at 09:30 AM.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:11 AM   #27
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelbster View Post
Read this and weep -unless you keep it for a very long time !
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/63955-%2410-916-83-later.html
Would have been much faster and less costly to sell as a roller (or part out) and just buy another.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 11:23 AM   #28

Warranty of any kind?

Quote:
I agree with the red flags and that it was a boosted engine. Need more info about donor car to be sure.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:07 PM   #29

Hello Carlos,

my personal opinion is that you have always check a used engine before you put it into your car. So if you want a good engine you have to check and replace some things before you put it in the car. And that will always cost some money. And all this LN blah blah… but OK, i have my own opinion when it comes to these things.

But OK, what i don't like if someone has cut wiring and hoses. That means the person who removed the engine was in a hurry to do it. And from my personal experiences that is not a good sign.

Regards, Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 01:09 PM   #30

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallblock454 View Post
Hello Carlos,

my personal opinion is that you have always check a used engine before you put it into your car. So if you want a good engine you have to check and replace some things before you put it in the car. And that will always cost some money. And all this LN blah blah… but OK, i have my own opinion when it comes to these things.

But OK, what i don't like if someone has cut wiring and hoses. That means the person who removed the engine was in a hurry to do it. And from my personal experiences that is not a good sign.

Regards, Markus
I agree, tempered by the (slight) reassurance of going with a known dismantler with a warranty (such as it is). But it gives enough time to make sure it runs and do a compression test, etc. Sometimes the distance makes it impossible -- I might consider an engine from a private party if it was close enough and could be started. Oherwise there seems to be no alternaitve than to pay for reputation