Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2006, 11:15 PM   #1

Well - it's over!

It was a short, passionate, at times fulfilling, and at times extremely unsatisfying relationship, but its now over.

At 7pm PST, the Boxster (and VW) found their new home at Sterling BMW in Newport Beach California. My garage is now home to a very shiny Imola Red 2005 330 ci with the ZHP pkg and a 6spd, short throw (although i may have to make it shorter ) shifter. Alcantra and carbon fiber interior, Harmon Kardon audio system (which blows the doors off the Bose system in the Porsche!), Xenon headlights and the M-tuned suspension, exhaust and performance chip. Of course, the car drives completely different than the Boxster and I may have to install something behind the seat that roars like a jet engine, but the BMW is quick and smooth.

Rondog - if you're still thinking about the Schnell Short Shifter - go to Sterling BMW and test drive my (former) 987 and get a feel for how awesome it is!

It wasn't easy, but it had to be done. As I drove the Boxster to Newport (about 50 miles) I worried momentarily about what I was doing. However, when my irritating shimmy came with me the entire way (and didn't come back with me in the Bimmer) I knew I was making the right choice. When I signed the paperwork, pocketed a few grand (I only suffered $3000 depreciation on the 987), had the VW off my hands (my daughter actually hugged it as we left the dealership) and realized that the shimmy (or no shimmy if you're one of a couple soCal Porsche dealerships) was now someone else's phantom problem, my fret and worry ceased. There will be other Porsche's in my garage - hell, maybe in 4 years (2010 Cayman GTR3 400hp biTurbo a good starting fellowship gift to myself), when the lease ends on this lil coupe we'll come back to Porsche.

I appreciate everyone's support and comments on all my posts! Hopefully you won't mind if I still stick around and add some commentary here and there. Enjoy your P-cars and may you have no worries with yours!!!

Japanese Rising Sun roof graphic
De-ambered and nearly de-chromed!

Sold - 05 BMW 330CI ZHP M-tuned
Imola Red, 6spd, Alcantra & Carbon Fiber Interior

Sold - 05 Boxster Black/Black 5spd
19" Carrera S Wheels
Bose Audio System/Sport Chrono Pkg
Schnell Short Shifter
Yellow Calipers c/ carbon fiber Porsche lettering
De-Ambered

Sold - 03 VW Beetle Silver - way too modified!

Last edited by mach schnell; 06-10-2006 at 01:22 AM.
mach schnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 12:33 AM   #2

R.I.P. Boxster ....hellooooo 330! Better luck this time around.

Time to change your siggy!
Old 06-10-2006, 03:33 AM   #3

Congrats!

(and glad to hear you're at least going to lurk)
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 03:37 AM   #4
bmussatti

MS- good luck! Will the BMW be your only car? With 2 kids and a wife, how will you get by with one vehicle, if it is?

I feel very sorry for the next unsuspecting person who buys your traded-in Boxster.
Old 06-10-2006, 04:38 AM   #5

Kinda makes me laugh, you got rid of the car because you couldn't sort out a shimmy.. lol. Well whatever makes you happy. Some rims and tires would have solved your problem and cost around 3k so you would still be even and have your Boxster.

Oh well at least teh BMW is nice (barf) ... They styling is just so ugly, I have no idea what they were thinking when they did the latest BM's..

986Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 06:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
MS- good luck! Will the BMW be your only car? With 2 kids and a wife, how will you get by with one vehicle, if it is?

I feel very sorry for the next unsuspecting person who buys your traded-in Boxster.
Why? Im sure the issue will get sorted out under warranry.

Good luck with the 3 Series, may it always be shimmy free

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...tar14266_4.gif
EX-88 951, 87 951, 86 944na, 85.5 944na 00 Audi S4..01 Boxster S .etc..etc
Marc Gelefsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 07:07 AM   #7

Good Luck Mach.

The M3 is a sweet car and on my fav 10 list. Drives wonderfully and should prove to be most reliable.

I am also glad you will be hanging around here.

Best of luck!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 08:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti

BMW is my driver (the Porsche and VW were my cars) My wife has a Subaru (yeah, she chose it over a Volvo) - now she wants an MB - so as soon as I can get her to actually care about someting and respect her car (translation - keep it clean and organized for longer than 2 minutes) we'll look at an upgrade for her. She also doesn't know how to drive a manual, so it helps to keep her away from (and trashing) my car (s)

Ya know, though - i had almost 10 people from two different Porsche dealers drive my 987 and they all denied the vibration or defective tires was anything serious. So, who ever buys that car will have something that Porsche has declared perfect!

19" Carrera S Wheels
Schnell Short Shifter
De-Ambered

Old 06-10-2006, 08:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986Jim
Kinda makes me laugh, you got rid of the car because you couldn't sort out a shimmy.. lol. Well whatever makes you happy. Some rims and tires would have solved your problem and cost around 3k so you would still be even and have your Boxster.

Oh well at least teh BMW is nice (barf) ... They styling is just so ugly, I have no idea what they were thinking when they did the latest BM's..

Imagine you're driving a car that has the wicked shimmy or stutter when you hit the brakes (can you picture that). If so, now picture that shimmy occurring in your >$50k performance sports car all the time! Further, that shimmy made your 'supposed to be incredible handling' german roadster feel both unstable and irritating to drive! Consider then, that in the time span of just over a month - you had the car looked at 4 different times by 2 different P - dealerships and each time got half ass responses and bull**************** with little to nothing done either to investigate or actually fix the problem. I guess, if you're the kind of guy that buys a new car (with a problem) and then says - da huh - i'll go spend more of my money to fix a warrantied car's problem, rather than having the company take care of it - then you're probably the perfect customer for Porsche - is this instance. On the other hand, you might have a point 986Jim if my car was a used 986 purchased without a warranty rather than a 4 month new 987.

Either way, you gotta now it wasn't easy - the day I drove off the lot with that Porsche - my first one and a virgin at that - I was damn proud and excited. And the first couple thousand miles were great. But then....

Sure, it's a little different now when I open my garage, but as I said before, I'll come back to Porsche - the slut's not crossed out of my black book yet!

19" Carrera S Wheels
Schnell Short Shifter
De-Ambered

Old 06-10-2006, 09:09 AM   #10

Quote:

he's got the coupe so it's the E46 99-05 style.

We need PICS.
2kwiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 09:32 AM   #11

Mach,,, my office is 5 min from Sterling, so i think i will go test the shimmy-mobile....gotta wonder what the sales guy thinks when i pull up in a car that looks identical to yours --(sans yellow calipers!).....anyway good luck with the Bimmer.

Post some pics!!!!

AUF WIEDERSEHEN!

RONDOG

2005 987S
BLK/BLK
PASM
SPTS CHRONO +
PCM w NAV
19" CARRERA S

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...P4724Large.jpg
Rondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 09:38 AM   #12

i'll post pix this weekend!

if you drive the car - take it on a route where you can get it into 4th or 5th gear so you can run freeway speeds wit rpm's over 3000. the shimmy/stutter should be obvious!

19" Carrera S Wheels
Schnell Short Shifter
De-Ambered

Old 06-10-2006, 10:23 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
The M3 is a sweet car and on my fav 10 list. Drives wonderfully and should prove to be most reliable.

He didn't buy an M3, Bruce.

Good luck Mach, hope this one proves satisfying!
Old 06-10-2006, 11:03 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by eslai
He didn't buy an M3, Bruce.

Good luck Mach, hope this one proves satisfying!

I'm confused now. Is it an M3 (ie: is the ZHP package the M3 spec?)?

If not did you, MS, consider the M3?
Old 06-10-2006, 12:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild1poet2
I'm confused now. Is it an M3 (ie: is the ZHP package the M3 spec?)?

If not did you, MS, consider the M3?
Opps, I must have been projecting.

Well, the 330 is also a sweet ride! I have a 328I in stock right now and am very impressed with the car.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 01:04 PM   #16

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Best of luck with your new car!
Old 06-10-2006, 02:01 PM   #17

Quote:

I think SOMEONE (won't say who) hasn't read all of the posts, trials, and tribulations surrounding MS' car - but whatever makes you happy....

Best of luck with your new BMW, MachSchnell! We'll miss your Porsche related comments - but I think you're always welcome here...

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 02:04 PM   #18

good luck and please consider a 2003-2004 986S in the future.
(a bargain sportscar with all the bugs worked out).

newer is not always better
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 02:24 PM   #19
creseida

I'm sorry to hear you decided to give up the Box, but under the circumstances, I do not blame you.

I do have one question though, and I realise this is hindsight at this point, but I am curious nonetheless....

When you went to the dealerships to inform them of these problems, did you ever actually take a tech or the service manager out on a test drive and reproduce the problem for them? I know that when I had a problem with one of my previous cars, and I'd drop it off for the dealership to fix it, they could not reprodue the symptoms. I had an intermittent power loss that resulted in the car bucking hard, and a blip on the engine light. Usually whilst trying to merge into freeway traffic. Finally I said, "Let me drive." And I took the disbeliever out and reproduced the problem. They couldn't very well deny it when my car bucked so hard it threw the guy into the dash (he wasn't wearing his belt... tsk tsk.) "Did you feel that?"

They kept the car until they could solve the problem. Took 3 weeks to track down the broken coil pick up wire, but I never had a problem with that car after that.

Anyways, I wish you the best of luck with the Bimmer.