Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2016, 12:19 PM   #1
Schnellfahrer

Garage
Spark Plug Removal Problem

Since the odometer of my 2004 Boxster just rolled over into 60K miles I decided to replace the oil and filter, front brake pads, brake fluid and spark plugs. No difficulties with the first 3 jobs, however, I was only able to replace 4 of the 6 spark plugs.
I was unable to get the T40 bit inserted in the top bolt holding the coil and tube of the front plug on each bank (cyl. 1 and 4?) On the left side there is a annoying tube that keeps getting in the way and on the right side the top T40 bolt is practically invisibly hidden in a black hole.
After more than an hour of trying and scraping the skin off my arms I finally gave up.
My question is: Is there a special way to accomplish this task? I'd sure like to know about it. Btw. I had the car on a high heavy duty jack with both rear wheels removed along with the small "fender flaps".
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Schnellfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 04:19 PM   #2

Schnellfahrer,

Just my two cents, but, I've done numerous sparkplug changes on my 99 Boxster (288,200 miles). I've always had good success using a combination of these two tools to remove the two bolts holding each coil (The Allen wrench hex key tool I purchased at Harbor Freight and the small ratchet/screw driver bit set I got at Walmart). My biggest issue is letting the engine cool down so I don't burn my hands and fingers.
The first time I changed plugs it took me quite awhile to remove the front most coils and plugs on both sides. It just takes some patience. I've always used a lift to change my plugs (being able to stand under the side of the car gives you better access), but it can be done just as easily using jack stands. Last week I changed a center sparkplug tube on my Boxster using jack stands. I had changed out two sparkplug tubes before using a lift. It was a bit more difficult using the jack stands, but it can be done. You might try putting some large square wooden planks under the jack stands to get the car up a bit higher.
Best of luck.
MNC-I
mnc-i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 05:56 PM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

I use a couple of Allen keys - one with regular length short-end and another with a short length short-end. Just work them up in there and be patient.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 09:38 AM   #4

Try some PB Blaster and let it soak on a cool engine overnight?
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 10:20 AM   #5

I use a torx socket on 3/8 drive and didn't have any issues with being able to get to any bolt. Done three different Boxster's. Just take a breath and get back at it! You'll be fine.

dghii is offline   Reply With Quote