Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2016, 07:34 AM   #21
MWS

Great post . My perspective after almost 10 years:

1. I still cannot drive this car without smiling. If I am not, I'll accelerate to 4-5k rms, if still not, repeat as necessary.

2. The 986 is a $20,000 car...and then some. Pay now, pay later, pay some more, get angry then remember point #1. Also when service bills start adding up, I'll just remember it's still the cheapest car (purchase plus service) I own. My Audi service is much less, but payed more up front.

3. OMG. The price of parts. <<< yeah! I never understood why; having Audis as well you would think parts would be comparably priced as both are VWAG. Nope, nope and nope.

4. Exactly 0 people have told me I own a hairdresser's car. Not once. Ever.

5. Can't say I've been told I don't have a "real" Porsche, but I will admit I have thought it to myself. Not to demean my Boxster, but when at the dealership and I see a GT3, I think to myself "it's just not the same, sigh..."

6 &7. Something about Porsches make dumb people say and do dumb things...it's like the cars are stupid magnets that attract all of the moron particles in the universe and concentrate them into the brains of the most easily influenced. Not once have I EVER had a negative comment or snide remark made because I am driving an Audi (even my RS5), but with the Boxster, totally different story. It's like "Oh you and your Porsche...bleh bleh bleh" or "you get the check, Mr. Porschepants."

8. Everyone wants to drag race. Everyone. Minivans. Camrys. It's ridiculous. Mustangs are the worst. <<< yep, yep and yep. Again (to my shigrin), never ever never when I am driving the RS5 (sigh), but always with the Boxster and always at a light...why can't they wait until a nice winding stretch of road (please?).

9. I have a radio, but I'll admit it took a couple of years to start using it, but now I find it almost necessary on the occasion when I need the perfect soundtrack on the perfect day on the perfect road...just to underscore the movie that I am picturing myself in.

10. I still cannot walk away from this car in the parking lot without looking back. And I feather dust it, I clean the interior before most every drive and it gets car covered even in my garage. If my Audis could talk, I am sure they would say "what the f***? Dude you have a serious problem and should seek help"...in German of course.

MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 07:41 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWS View Post
Dude you have a serious problem and should seek help"...in German of course.
The Audis would say:

"Alter, Du hast echt ein ernsthaftes Problem und solltest Dich dringend in ärztliche Behandlung begeben."

Regards, Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 08:08 AM   #23
MWS

Thanks Markus, mein Deutsch ist nicht gut, aber der Audi nicht falsch ist habe ich eine Obsession porsche.

(Been too long since I left Siemens...). The formality of "regards" in closing was something I used to receive on every email; a simple kind gesture I miss greatly.
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:14 AM   #24
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

This is interesting...

....I am also a new Porsche owner. After owning a Miata for over 20 years, I finally bought my dream car, my 2004 Boxster 550 SE.

I live in the deep south and the reaction to my car has been positive. Not that I really care at all what people think.

I bought the car because I wanted to drive the car, not to impress the neighbors.

I have attended two big Porsche Club events. My non-scientific view is that about 65% of the PCA folks are rich pouseurs who I have no patience for.

The rest seem to be a mixture of true car enthusiasts who like to drive or track their cars, and folks who just like the quality and engineering of Porsche.

Fortunately, it is very easy for me to just socialize with like minded car nuts and avoid the country club types.

One interesting aspect of buying this 12 year old bargain of a sports car, is that just pulling up in this old Boxster at a ritzy hotel gives us the same luxury treatment that is given to the guy who pulled into the valet spot in the 2017 $200,000 911 Turbo S.

We just got back from a leaf peeping drive to Aspen from our home and we stayed at the St. Regis hotel. The place is super swanky, and we pulled in behind a Bentley Continental GT convertible and a brand new Cayman GT4, and the valet attendant treated us like those folks whose tax bracket I will never sniff.

My wife is really starting to like THAT spect of traveling in a Boxster vs. my old Miata.

As far as the car goes, OMG, she's amazing. It's as though they scanned my brain and built the EXACT car I would design. I love this car. I'm still discovering awesome little engineering facts about her.

I am astonished at just how practical this car is as a real world sports car. We just drove 4,000 miles, cross-country, and had more than enough luggage space and comfort.

And, the car was a joy to drive across every mountain pass in Colorado.

After we got home, I fired up a cigar and poured a little bourbon and just sat and gazed at her for hours.

Oh yeah, every muscle car and V8 pickup wants to race. :roll eyes:

For track days, I'll keep the Miata, but for the real world, the Boxster rules.
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."

Last edited by 10/10ths; 09-30-2016 at 07:59 AM.
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 04:34 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWS View Post
Great post . 10. I still cannot walk away from this car in the parking lot without looking back. And I feather dust it, I clean the interior before most every drive and it gets car covered even in my garage. If my Audis could talk, I am sure they would say "what the f***? Dude you have a serious problem and should seek help"...in German of course.
Typical evening scenario. Wife is watching TV. Wonders where I am. Finds me in the garage, microfiber towel in hand, stupid grin on my face.

She just rolls her eyes and walks away.
Need_for_speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 06:19 AM   #26
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_for_speed View Post
Typical evening scenario. Wife is watching TV. Wonders where I am. Finds me in the garage, microfiber towel in hand, stupid grin on my face.

She just rolls her eyes and walks away.

My wife is pretty understanding, but you are not alone with the

Also her reaction when every time she turns the TV on and the last channel watched was Velocity. Although, I will say we were watching one of her shows on HGTV, Property Brothers, when what do what do I see? As part of the show they were fixing up a house for a guy who was a "professional" driver and challenged the host to a race. What did they drive? A 986!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 03:55 AM   #27

Garage
I bought mine last December, my Christmas present to me! I have a little over 9500 miles on it so far, drive it to work about 3 days a week. So far I have $7500 in it including new IMSB, clutch, flywheel, water pump and seat upholstery. I recently bought a Z-top which is going to add $3K. Currently everything works. There are a few maintenance items that I know I will be needing before too long, but that is just normal for anything that you drive.

1. Love driving it! I have thought about it a lot, and I think it is probably the best and most versatile sports car ever made! I know it draws attention because you just don't see many Porsches on the road in any given week. And Yes, I know I often have a stupid grin on my face.

2. $7500 so far. Other than maintenance, I expect to have $12K in it when I have made all the mods I want. If you don't need the bigger engine options and you can do your own maintenance, a Boxster can be a reasonably priced sports car. (but then everyone's idea of reasonable is different)

3. Some parts are expensive. But really, most of the costs are similar to BMW, maybe a little higher for some things. Have not had any stupidly expensive parts yet. I know 4 new struts will be at least $1000.

4. Have not heard any negative comments as of yet, only compliments and plenty of those. I have a factory hard top on it and I think that throws most people off. I have people ask what it is and others ask if it is new. Most people have no idea that it is 17 years old!

5. None, no 911 comments.

6. Nope, maybe I am not paying attention.

7. Nope, not as of yet.

8. Only once, 4 high school kids in a Camry or something. I just revved the engine, smiled and played along.

9. Love my stereo upgrade! New head unit to connect to ipod, 6 channel amp out of a 996 cab, factory rear speakers off ebay, Rockford Fosgate replacements in the dash. Sounds great! New door speakers at some point. While I love the sound of the engine, I love music too.

10. Always!
ksjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 12:24 PM   #28

1. Still smiling even after a DIY clutch job. Severe 986 with drawl symptoms when she is not online.

2. Yes, after 4 years I'd say Im in for nearly 20K

3. Parts depending on the source are more costly than most, but look what they make. Worth it.

4. No negative comments yet. Really enjoyed the positive ones especially when they came from lovely ladies.

5. It has the Porsche Logo on the hood...nuf said!

6. Don't like it when anyone gets close behind due mostly to the superb braking capabilities. Wish I had a smoke screen button for those dumb people.

7. Always a redneck around wishing and dreaming. I wonder if anyone has ever said sure, i'll trade my Porsche for your ....

8. I zoom off at max acceleration till the speed limit and see if they can find the cop with the radar gun for me. Its happened once so far, but I also have radar detector so I just enjoy messing with them.

9. Music is optional as the Boxster engine music is something you just never grow tired of.

10. I look back more than a few times and on occasion I decide the lighting is just right and go back to snap a photo, but I do that with the GF as well.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 03:47 PM   #29

Garage
6. That's what the fog rear light is for. They think you are braking if you turn it on momentarily,

2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote