Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2016, 07:02 AM   #1

Good deal on LN Billet spin on oil filters on their ebay store $139

Chevrolet Corvette 97 04 Billet Racing 60 Micron Oil Filter 1042 13 16 16 Race | eBay

I just called LN and they confirmed this is the same filter as their billet oil filter they sell for their spin on adapter.

If anybody was looking to get one of these, for example for extra ground clearance when using an accusump sandwich plate, this appears to be a way to get a good deal on them.

Steve

No affiliation with the seller, just passing it along

steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 11:22 AM   #2

Interesting and thanks for sharing.
To fit our cars it needs the adapter bushing & .....?
The vendor may be able to answer because they seem to be Porsche-parts people.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 11:31 AM   #3

To fit this to our cars, we need the LN Billet Spin on adapter:

Spin-on Oil Filter Adapter for MY97-08 Boxster/Cayman/911 LN Engineering

I have this already and run the Wix 51042 oil filter. Folks that run an accusump using the sandwich adapter and the Wix 51042 filter are sometimes concerned because the filter hangs down a little below the oil pan cover. The shorter filter in the first listing helps resolve that issue.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:12 PM   #4

I've always been concerned about the 60 micron filtering, more so than its easy cleaning & inspection capability.
The normal spin on filters are in the region of 20-30 microns, which quite a big difference to what the billet filter keeps trapped in the screen and what it lets through.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:10 AM   #5

I ordered one of these and received it and found 2 issues with it:

1. When it is all tightened up, the element inside still rattles around, it doesn't make a good seal against the rubber gasket that holds it in place and forces the oil through the filter instead of letting it pass under the edge where the gasket goes. I believe this would let some oil pass unfiltered. This may be a non-issue as I don't really know whether it is supposed to do that or not.

2. It does not thread onto my Canton 13/16-16 accusump sandwich adapter. This adapter does thread onto a Wix 51042 and another filter that I had, can't remember the brand, just that it 13/16-16. This is a blocker for me, as this is the reason I got this filter, to go with an upcoming accusump installation.

I am sending it back; since I am the one that started this thread, I wanted to follow up.

It may be that I just got a bad one, as I know a lot of folks have had great success with it.