Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2016, 10:47 PM   #1

Boxster S exhaust on base model???

Hi,

This is my first post in this forum so please no hatin'
I recently purchased a 99 Porsche Boxster 2.5L base model.
Here is my question:
I found a local craigslist listing for a 2001 Boxster S muffler with very little miles on it. Is the S muffler is a direct bolt-on upgrade for my base model 2.5L boxster? If that is not the case, how much work is involved to make the muffler work on my car?

Thanks for you help in advance!

PBoxstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 06:57 AM   #2

Pipe sizes are different on the 2.5.
Old 09-25-2016, 07:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Pipe sizes are different on the 2.5.
Thanks!
I assume that the S pipes are larger in diameter. Would they fit fit some sort of adapter? Are the mounting points the same?
PBoxstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:59 AM   #4

Garage
Well didn't think this would happen.....but. Yes it will fit . Here is a link to my conversion. Just need the bracket from Woody if you want it to look completely stock. Have fun. I really like mine.

S muffler on 98 base?
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 08:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
Well didn't think this would happen.....but. Yes it will fit . Here is a link to my conversion. Just need the bracket from Woody if you want it to look completely stock. Have fun. I really like mine.

S muffler on 98 base?
I'm still not convinced; if you look in the Porsche parts list for the U shaped connector pipes (#18 in the diagram) that go from the muffler to the cat pipe, you will find that the S pipe is a different part number than the 1999 base pipe. You would also find that all the parts for the base cat pipe (#5 in the diagram) are smaller in diameter, all the way to the triangular gaskets where the cat pipes bolt to the manifolds.

Old 09-25-2016, 09:59 AM   #6

I've had lots of people buy S mufflers and/or brackets from me to install a S muffler onto their 97-99 and I've never heard of anyone having any problems. You need the mounting bracket to do it though. Number 13-17 in the diagram
Old 09-25-2016, 10:01 AM   #7

Garage
[QUOTE=JFP in PA;511227]I'm still not convinced; if you look in the Porsche parts list for the U shaped connector pipes (#18 in the diagram) that go from the muffler to the cat pipe, you will find that the S pipe is a different part number than the 1999 base pipe. You would also find that all the parts for the base cat pipe (#5 in the diagram) are smaller in diameter, all the way to the triangular gaskets where the cat pipes bolt to the manifolds.

Everything you point out is exactly true. The U shaped connector is a different part number due to a radius change for the newer/larger header and mid pipes used on the S. However the rear cat outlet and the muffler inlet retained the same OD. Hooray for parts interchange.

911monty is offline   Reply With Quote