Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2016, 03:56 PM   #1

Finding a project?

Hey guys, just want to say first that I'm new to this forum. I really want to get a Boxster S, preferably, but I don't want one that is turn key. I would like to find one that needs a new clutch, maybe the top is junk, or light body damage. Maybe even a bit of all three of those. Partially because it would be cheaper up front but mostly because I would be replacing those parts anyways. No sense in getting rid of good parts if I can find something that needs work where I want to put work into it. Anyways, no more rambling, where would be a good place to find project Pcars? Sorry in advance if this is posted in the wrong thread location. New to forums not just for Porsche.

IPretendItsA918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 04:21 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum. Get one that is turn key and you will still have more projects than you can imagine.
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 05:37 PM   #3
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
You will just have to hunt for one that fits your criteria: used dealers, craigslist, classifieds, etc

I would recommend getting one in good condition, especially with regard to any body damage. If you buy a 986 for less than $10k, you will spend at least $10k (probably more) by the time you deal with any issues. There is no such thing as a cheap Porsche.

I will also mention the canvas tops (but not the plastic windows) last a surprising long time if you take care of them. And a good PPI by a Porsche mechanic is really worth doing.

For the clutch, if you want to replace it look for one in the 70-85k mile range, that seems to be when most tend to need replacement, but it can vary a lot. If you find one claiming it had the IMS preventatively replaced, if they don't have documents to back it up, it didn't happen. Also, IMS failure is uncommon pre-2000.

Last edited by rick3000; 09-22-2016 at 05:44 PM. Reason: clarification
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 05:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000 View Post
You will just have to hunt for one that fits your criteria: used dealers, craigslist, classifieds, etc

I would recommend getting one in good condition, especially with regard to any body damage. If you buy a 986 for less than $10k, you will spend at least $10k (probably more) by the time you deal with any issues. There is no such thing as a cheap Porsche.

I will also mention the canvas tops (but not the plastic windows) last a surprising long time if you take care of them. And a good PPI by a Porsche mechanic is really worth doing.

For the clutch, if you want to replace it look for one in the 70-85k mile range, that seems to be when most tend to need replacement, but it can vary a lot. If you find one claiming it had the IMS preventatively replaced, if they don't have documents to back it up, it didn't happen. Also, IMS failure is uncommon pre-2000.
I've looked a lot into the IMS failures and that's why I would like to find one that needs the clutch replaced. So I can get that taken car of and go ahead and do the rear main seal as well, lighter flywheel, and upgraded clutch package if I can find one. I have no problem with purchasing one that has the new IMS in with documents to prove it. Just figured I might be able to find a nice little winter project to wrench on, cry under, and cuss at while the snow passes through in the next few months.
Old 09-22-2016, 06:03 PM   #5

I would rather avoid financing one because I hate financing anything. I got a loan for my 2015 Jeep Patriot last year when they first came and I want to slap myself every time I have to make my payment. Also, with financing I feel like I would get robbed by a dealer and way over pay.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:00 AM   #6

Garage
No affiliation but here's a Craigslist ad:

2002 porsche boxster 5 speed bad motor
FoxRvrBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:19 AM   #7

Watch out with a lightened flywheel, the Boxster has a dual mass flywheel which also functions as the engine's harmonic balancer. I think Jake Raby has written about this on his website or elsewhere here.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 05:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
Watch out with a lightened flywheel, the Boxster has a dual mass flywheel which also functions as the engine's harmonic balancer. I think Jake Raby has written about this on his website or elsewhere here.
Thanks for the heads up!
Old 09-23-2016, 05:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxRvrBox View Post
No affiliation but here's a Craigslist ad:

2002 porsche boxster 5 speed bad motor
I have been keeping an eye out in the Chicago area because I live fairly close to there but haven't seen that ad before. Seems risky. Might be worth looking into though. Thanks for the tip!
Old 09-23-2016, 07:52 PM   #10
Certified Boxster Addict

Just buy any high mileage Boxster (120K miles or more) which hasn't had much of the maintenance done and you'll have an instant project car! I'd bet that you would easily have to do 20-25 of Wayne's 101 Projects in the first year or two.

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote