View Single Post
Old 09-22-2016, 05:59 PM   #4
IPretendItsA918

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000 View Post
You will just have to hunt for one that fits your criteria: used dealers, craigslist, classifieds, etc

I would recommend getting one in good condition, especially with regard to any body damage. If you buy a 986 for less than $10k, you will spend at least $10k (probably more) by the time you deal with any issues. There is no such thing as a cheap Porsche.

I will also mention the canvas tops (but not the plastic windows) last a surprising long time if you take care of them. And a good PPI by a Porsche mechanic is really worth doing.

For the clutch, if you want to replace it look for one in the 70-85k mile range, that seems to be when most tend to need replacement, but it can vary a lot. If you find one claiming it had the IMS preventatively replaced, if they don't have documents to back it up, it didn't happen. Also, IMS failure is uncommon pre-2000.
I've looked a lot into the IMS failures and that's why I would like to find one that needs the clutch replaced. So I can get that taken car of and go ahead and do the rear main seal as well, lighter flywheel, and upgraded clutch package if I can find one. I have no problem with purchasing one that has the new IMS in with documents to prove it. Just figured I might be able to find a nice little winter project to wrench on, cry under, and cuss at while the snow passes through in the next few months.
IPretendItsA918 is offline   Reply With Quote