Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2016, 06:42 PM   #21
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
Oh, of course. So, in this case, with Roger and Paul, what FAILED?? The goshdarn tires, that’s what failed---they didn’t do what we’ve come to expect tires to do. In keeping with the whole spirit of the linked article, that’s what my point was. Obviously both the tire and the actions of the driver contributed---the cause of the huge majority of accidents is multifactorial.
The single NON action of the driver/passenger was that they failed to replace 10 year old tires before going on a 90 MPH joy ride in a parking lot. If the tires had a glowing red band that said 'I'm old, replace me' they would have done it. So lesson learned the hard way. RIP Paul & Roger but the thrill of driving his new-to-him GT over took good sense to have the vehicle completely looked over before doing what they did which was to hop in and drive like it was track ready.

paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 06:54 PM   #22
Known Gearhead

Garage
One thing I've noticed about high performance sticky tires is, they become hard and slick much faster than "normal" compound tires. When I bought my dearly departed, supercharged Miata NA track and street toy, it came with new-looking Falken Azenis tires. I never knew a Miata could drift like a champ, as long as the tires were old and slippy. Fun, but slow in the turns that way. After one HPDE day on the Falkens, I bought Bridgestone RE-11s and never drifted again.
Old 09-16-2016, 02:48 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulofto View Post
The single NON action of the driver/passenger was that they failed to replace 10 year old tires before going on a 90 MPH joy ride in a parking lot.
Semantics. Splitting hairs. We're all saying the same thing here, which is what the article was all about. In this case specifically: Old tires, perhaps having good visible tread, should have been replaced. They weren't.
They failed. Catastrophically.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 07:13 AM   #24

Garage
Idiots will be idiots! Who's to say they would have quit at 90 mph on "New" tires. Instead of 90 they would have hit the tree at 150. They were showing off. Their The only limit on their stupidity was the car, and I'm sure it had plenty left. It's not the gun that kills. It's the idiot behind the trigger.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 05:37 PM   #25

9 year old tires meant likely trouble in a 600 HP car. No driver's aids meant guaranteed trouble on old tires (ditto for improper alignment in the wet with this car even on new tires), an inferior brake line choice meant fire was probable, a seat belt anchoring configuration that left them pinned down in a supine position meant said fire roasted them alive in this specific instance. Speeding on old tires alone is not a guarantee of accidental death. Once you start adding all the other variables above, many which were decisions by Porsche, the likelihood of survival evaporates.

P.s.
I had four seasons of autocross under my belt when I first switched from Miata to Boxster. After that many events you've pretty much managed every type of configuration you might come across. Quick turn, slow turn, hard brake, light brake, six pin slalom, four pin slalom, Chicago box, hairpin, bla, bla...only so much you can come up with. Well it didn't take me a month into Boxster ownership to spin the car 180 on the street facing the wrong way to oncoming traffic. Oooops. This never once happened in the Miata or any other car I'd driven on the street.
Rule #1 take it easy when the ground is damp and you are near curbs. No quick steering wheel inputs, no abrupt stomping on the pedals. Once you lose the car at speed, a simple collision with the curbing or a highway barrier can knock the wheels clean off the car and your insurance will total the car if it's old. The rest of the car will look brand new otherwise but still headed for the salvage yard.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 09-16-2016 at 05:52 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 07:03 PM   #26

Yeah, Jeez, I'd forgotten about most all of those other additional factors...it was pretty much a death-by-auto perfect storm..
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:17 PM   #27

RIP Paul. Loved your movies.
SteelStroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 03:31 PM   #28

So ten years should be the max life, and 6 the recommended by tire manufacturers?

madmodz is offline   Reply With Quote