View Single Post
Old 09-16-2016, 05:37 PM   #25
Perfectlap

9 year old tires meant likely trouble in a 600 HP car. No driver's aids meant guaranteed trouble on old tires (ditto for improper alignment in the wet with this car even on new tires), an inferior brake line choice meant fire was probable, a seat belt anchoring configuration that left them pinned down in a supine position meant said fire roasted them alive in this specific instance. Speeding on old tires alone is not a guarantee of accidental death. Once you start adding all the other variables above, many which were decisions by Porsche, the likelihood of survival evaporates.

P.s.
I had four seasons of autocross under my belt when I first switched from Miata to Boxster. After that many events you've pretty much managed every type of configuration you might come across. Quick turn, slow turn, hard brake, light brake, six pin slalom, four pin slalom, Chicago box, hairpin, bla, bla...only so much you can come up with. Well it didn't take me a month into Boxster ownership to spin the car 180 on the street facing the wrong way to oncoming traffic. Oooops. This never once happened in the Miata or any other car I'd driven on the street.
Rule #1 take it easy when the ground is damp and you are near curbs. No quick steering wheel inputs, no abrupt stomping on the pedals. Once you lose the car at speed, a simple collision with the curbing or a highway barrier can knock the wheels clean off the car and your insurance will total the car if it's old. The rest of the car will look brand new otherwise but still headed for the salvage yard.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 09-16-2016 at 05:52 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote