Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2012, 07:00 AM   #1

Boxster S Alarm keeps on going off!!!

Hey guys,

I really need to find a solution to my 01 boxster S alarm which is going off regularly I got complaints from neighbors and cops even came to my girl's house late @ night, any suggestions?

CrazyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:10 AM   #2

Easiest thing to do is scan the car with a PIWIS or Durametric system, it will have the last ten alarm trips in memory so you can see what is causing it............
Old 08-01-2012, 09:29 AM   #3

Garage
Open the battery cover, and disconnect the wire to the alarm horn. It is a separate horn from the one in the steering wheel. 5 minute job. Don't think you even need any tools (but a screwdriver might help disconnect the cable, it has one of those locking end clips IIRC.

I've done this because alarms in the city are completely useless, and just annoy the neighbors.
2003S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:29 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyBoy View Post
Hey guys,

I really need to find a solution to my 01 boxster S alarm which is going off regularly I got complaints from neighbors and cops even came to my girl's house late @ night, any suggestions?
Tell your neighbors to stop messing with your Boxster at night

I have had my Boxster for about 8 years now and have never heard my alarm go off, even with me trying the motion sensor and such to try and trigger it.
boxster6354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:39 AM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003S View Post
Open the battery cover, and disconnect the wire to the alarm horn. It is a separate horn from the one in the steering wheel. 5 minute job. Don't think you even need any tools (but a screwdriver might help disconnect the cable, it has one of those locking end clips IIRC.

I've done this because alarms in the city are completely useless, and just annoy the neighbors.
Thank you, thank you. My alarm beeps every time that I lock the car because something isn't closed properly. Of course, everything IS closed, there is just a switch somewhere that isn't registering with the alarm module correctly and its not worth the time for me to hunt it down.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:33 PM   #6
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Check to be sure your ceneter console lid is indeed closed. It may look it and not actually be secure.

Also, do you still have your stock radio? If you've changed that out to an after market head unit, there's a grounding strip on the back of the stock unit that grounds out to a wire in the console. If you lose that contact, the car thinks the radio has been removed by thieves/vandals/rapscallions and wil sound the alarm. If you have replaced the radio with an aftermarket, you'll want to resolve that issue. If you haven't, check it anyways, as the contact or wire may have built up some corrosion and lost the ocntact.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:37 PM   #7

Battery is a few months old, only thing is I got a 2DIN Pioneer radio which I got
installed by a professional, I read somewhere else that the original radio is part of the alarm system and this is why the alarm goes off due to the missing component. I get 1 beep every time I lock the doors.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:39 PM   #8

I believe this is the problem and the professional @ future shop that installed it didnt
notice this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
Check to be sure your ceneter console lid is indeed closed. It may look it and not actually be secure.

Also, do you still have your stock radio? If you've changed that out to an after market head unit, there's a grounding strip on the back of the stock unit that grounds out to a wire in the console. If you lose that contact, the car thinks the radio has been removed by thieves/vandals/rapscallions and wil sound the alarm. If you have replaced the radio with an aftermarket, you'll want to resolve that issue. If you haven't, check it anyways, as the contact or wire may have built up some corrosion and lost the ocntact.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:45 PM   #9
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Happens a lot more frequently than you might think. It's not a very well known feature of the car unless you or someone you know has experienced this phenomenon after a new head unit install.

Hope you're able to sort that out soon.

IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Old 08-01-2012, 02:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
Happens a lot more frequently than you might think. It's not a very well known feature of the car unless you or someone you know has experienced this phenomenon after a new head unit install.

Hope you're able to sort that out soon.
On my 2001 S the radio removal security tab is in the lower slot on the left hand side below the AC Vent (Upper console).

It plugs into a small metal tab that rubs against the radio case thereby grounding it.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:46 AM   #11
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Nice! How convenient that we come across this issue right around the time Ray's doing his 2DIN install.

I imagine the design changed little, if at all, over the years and between the different CDRs used in Boxsters, so that picture should help you figure out what's up with your car.

IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Old 08-02-2012, 07:36 AM   #12
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
Quote:
Battery is a few months old, only thing is I got a 2DIN Pioneer radio which I got
installed by a professional, I read somewhere else that the original radio is part of the alarm system and this is why the alarm goes off due to the missing component. I get 1 beep every time I lock the doors.
With that NOT grounded properly you will get 1 beep every time you lock the doors.
I verified this when installing my new radio as well.

Good pic Ray..

It was designed that if the radio is removed it disconnects the ground contact invoking the alarm.
T
Old 08-02-2012, 09:31 AM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Hey guys,

Reminds me of an article I read many years ago, a car thief caught “told all” to reduce his time in prison. There was a Corvette he wanted desperately. For many nights in a row he would go bump the car to set-off the alarm and then run and hide in the bushes. He did this for a couple weeks until one night the alarm did not go off… Bye-Bye Corvette!

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:54 AM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Reminds me of an article I read many years ago, a car thief caught “told all” to reduce his time in prison. There was a Corvette he wanted desperately. For many nights in a row he would go bump the car to set-off the alarm and then run and hide in the bushes. He did this for a couple weeks until one night the alarm did not go off… Bye-Bye Corvette!
yep that's a common ploy.. another one from a reformed professional car thief who stole to order for the export market was that he would wear a suit and carry a brief case, he could steal a car in broad daylight in a crowd..

who would question a businessman in suit, with a briefcase open on the roof 'effing and blinding at 'his' car trying to shut the alarm off.
2x Range Rover Classic & CSK
Bruce Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:00 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_fury View Post
With that NOT grounded properly you will get 1 beep every time you lock the doors.
I verified this when installing my new radio as well.

T
I have a aftermarket radio as well no wonder the alarm chirps everytime I arm it.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:12 PM   #16
Certified Boxster Addict

I have the stock radio so that's not the problem. Hence, I removed the wire to the alarm horn this afternoon. More like a 3 min job, no tools required. Just open the front trunk, remove the drivers side cowl cover, press the top and bottom retaining springs on the connector together and wiggle the connector off. Cover both sides of the connection with electical tape, then zip tie the cable/connector to the bracket so its not flopping around. Replace cover, close trunk. Done. And now, no more beeping when I lock the car!

Here is the location:

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 08-03-2012 at 04:17 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:41 AM   #17
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
I have the stock radio so that's not the problem. Hence, I removed the wire to the alarm horn this afternoon. More like a 3 min job, no tools required. Just open the front trunk, remove the drivers side cowl cover, press the top and bottom retaining springs on the connector together and wiggle the connector off. Cover both sides of the connection with electical tape, then zip tie the cable/connector to the bracket so its not flopping around. Replace cover, close trunk. Done. And now, no more beeping when I lock the car!
Also no more beeping if anyone ever breaks into your car...

IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Old 07-17-2013, 06:15 PM   #18

Best solution yet. Just disconnect the alarm horn. Thank you 2003S. There's nothing more embarrassing than having the neighbors in my condo unit call me up in the middle of the night complaining about the alarm. Really appreciate that tip.
ktfaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:14 AM   #19

I've tried all the above fixes and it worked for about 2days... no random horn beeping... then today it just went off in my garage... Grrrr.... frustrating to all get up. And the ask the dealer why this would happen. They want $250 just to diagnose it..

yellow99 is offline   Reply With Quote