Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2018, 09:03 AM   #1

Post 2001 Boxster side fan failure

So the drivers side fan on my Boxster is non functional. Is anyone familiar with the part number that I'm looking for?

vasen_013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 03:34 PM   #2
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Here is the applicable PET page. But are you sure it is the fan? Could be a relay, fuse or temp sensor as well.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 986 Engine Bay Fan.pdf (175.7 KB, 215 views)
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 04:03 PM   #3
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
I wonder if he means the driver's side radiator fan behind the front bumper.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 05:20 PM   #4

I was in fact referring to the engine bay fan, but was unfamiliar with the exact part name or number. The radiator fans are in good shape. Thank you!
vasen_013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 05:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasen_013 View Post
So the drivers side fan on my Boxster is non functional. Is anyone familiar with the part number that I'm looking for?
Is this a UK car? I didn't think there was a fan on the drivers (US left) side of the car. There's an engine compartment cooling fan on the passenger (US right) side but the drivers (US left) side has the air intake for the engine... at least on my 2001 Boxster S...
Old 04-29-2018, 05:58 AM   #6
Lew
So Blessed!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdDog View Post
Is this a UK car? I didn't think there was a fan on the drivers (US left) side of the car. There's an engine compartment cooling fan on the passenger (US right) side but the drivers (US left) side has the air intake for the engine... at least on my 2001 Boxster S...

His location is in California....doubt it's a UK vehicle, but could be wrong.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasen_013 View Post
No fan on the left side of the engine bay, that scoop is to feed cooler air to the intake.
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 06:35 AM   #8
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Okay, when you said 'side fan' I assumed you meant engine bay fan. I didn't see drivers side. Sometimes I read fast and assume things. Old age. Anyway as everyone noted, there is no drivers side engine bay fan. Drivers side is combustion air for engine, left side is where the fan is to move air in the engine bay.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 07:25 AM   #9
Lew
So Blessed!

Garage
This discussion reminds me about my engine cooling fan. I am going to remove my cooling fan, it growls now and then. I think the bushing is drying out. I have been able to drill a small hole in a vehicle heater fan motor in the pass to lubricate the bushings. Might be able to do the same to my engine cooling fan. Before I do anything I will start the fan on my bench and let it run for a while. Not sure how hard the fan will be to remove.
Old 04-29-2018, 08:57 AM   #10
Lew
So Blessed!

Garage
There are a large number of used engine fans for the Boxster on Ebay. Just put in the part number 986 624 036 0 on Google, or what I use to search is duckduckgo.com, the site does not track you like Google.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:27 AM   #11
Lew
So Blessed!

Garage
I pulled my engine cooling fan out yesterday which only took 10 minutes. I applied 12 volts to start the fan motor several times to see if it would make this growl I have been hearing coming from my engine bay. The motor ran just fine at high speed, and by starting the motor several times it would not make any unusual noise.....The fan motor seems OK. I would have bet the fan motor was the culprit since it comes on now and then when driving. I replaced my drive belt last year at 30K, and all the rollers were OK. After recently checking they are still OK. Not sure where this weird noise is coming from.