Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2018, 03:05 PM   #1

Gas pedal location - egas vs mechanical

I've been in California for the past week, and had an opportunity to drive my good friend's 99 Base Boxster a couple of times. I have a 2003 S and am about 6 ft 3 in tall. In my own car, my right leg is always slightly bent and my right knee bumps against the center console. When I got into my friend's 99, I noticed something was a bit different - my right leg was completely straight on the gas pedal in his car. Both cars are manual transmissions and manual seats which look identical, although his feels slightly higher than mine, even when set at its lowest level. Is the mechanical pedal located further from the seat than the egas pedal? For everyday driving that would be nice to have but I can barely heal and toe in my car, the 99 would be impossible because the gas is so much lower than the brake pedal. Just thought I'd share my observation.

PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 08:50 PM   #2

Not sure what you're seeing but the gas peddles are in the same location and basically the same. The only real difference in the two are the levers inside and the way the cables are routed. The 97-99 will have a cable coming out the bottom and one out the top if it has cruise. The 00-04 has one cable coming out the top but it uses the same peddle assemble as the 97-99.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:55 PM   #3

I'm guessing the difference you're feeling is the bottom seat cushion springs. 97-00 use a metal spring and I think starting in 2001 Porsche switched to a plastic mesh spring. It might be reinforced with something like fiberglass or whatever. Whatever it's made out of, it sucks and breaks a lot.
Old 04-29-2018, 04:13 AM   #4

No insight into the seat/ gas pedal relationship, but you can adjust where the brake pedal engages to better align it with your gas pedal. There is a threaded rod behind the brake booster for adjustment
Deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 06:41 PM   #5

Thanks the metal vs plastic seat springs make sense in terms of the seat height. Wish I had the cars side by side but his is in CA and mind is in NJ. I’m going to see if raising the height of my seat just a bit gets my leg straighter. Of course his top had no headliner, and mine does so that might affect headroom in my car.
Old 05-01-2018, 04:01 AM   #6

You might also want to pull the seat and take a look to see if your cushion support is broken or popped out. It's only four bolts and literally takes a minute.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:34 AM   #7

PaulE,

For more leg room have you considered the GT3 console delete? I've done it on my Boxster and Carrera and for me it made a huge difference. I'm 6'4".
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 05:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
PaulE,

For more leg room have you considered the GT3 console delete? I've done it on my Boxster and Carrera and for me it made a huge difference. I'm 6'4".
Thanks I know about that option, but I like my console and added the second cubby in lieu of the useless to me CD holder. I was just surprised about the difference in these 2 cars which appeared to have the “same” seats and center consoles.

Woody, I’ll take a look st my seat, but I suspect it’s ok. I e owned my car since new. While the driver’s seat has 75k miles I doubt the passenger seat has 1k miles and they feel the same when I sit in them.