Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2016, 09:19 PM   #1

Drive my Porsche 365 Regardless

I drive my 03 Boxster S regardless of weather. It is fun and a damn good adrenaline rush. I live in Colorado and will never be intimidated by weather. I bought it..I own it. I love it. It is also my only vehicle. Vodka induced posting. Sorry If I gave offense.

Last edited by SteelStroke; 09-11-2016 at 01:25 PM.
SteelStroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:50 PM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Have you had it up in the mountains in the snow yet? That may change your tune.
I've heard of folks getting around alright on all season tires, but I literally can't even get up my driveway in the winter unless it's completely clear of snow, no matter how light on the throttle and feathering the clutch.
And yes, I've lived in the snowy winters of middle America most of my life, so I know how to drive on snow. The 986 is a different beast altogether.
With the very central center of gravity due to the mid-engine design and high torque at the wheels/light weight, they really like to spin right around the center of the car instead of fish-tailing. If you haven't had it in a spin yet, be cautious...they can be very tricky and hard to recover from.

On a level surface, it's somewhat do-able.
Tiptronics may be easier, too, but I wouldn't drive one of those

FWIW, I don't store mine, either. But, I also try not to drive it in the snow unless I have no other choice.

Last edited by particlewave; 09-08-2016 at 11:10 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 01:29 AM   #3
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelStroke View Post
I drive my 03 Boxster S regardless of weather. It is fun and a damn good adrenaline rush.

To those that "winter storage" their cars...whatever. Your loss and shows a lack of driving skill IMO. I live in Colorado and will never be intimidated by weather. I bought it..I own it. I love it.
SteelStroke, I don't understand the purpose of your post. Good for you for driving your car in all conditions, I do as well, but there is no need to be rude to people that prefer to store their cars by saying they "lack driving skills." Why do you care what others do with their cars? For some people the "adrenaline rush" is not worth the risk of an accident.

The 986 can be very tricky to drive in snowy conditions, a good set of snow tires is essential. I have driven in blizzards, on snow, ice, hit black ice and recovered, spun, etc. If I can avoid driving my 986 in bad conditions I do, and I don't regret it.
Old 09-09-2016, 02:40 AM   #4

Garage
Hey SteelStrokes - you want to drive in snow why don't you come drive for a day in real winter conditions up in Canada with your car.... YEAH that's right, you wouldn't even be able to get out the driveway with it. Think next time you run your keyboard ... Oh yeah, last time I checked even professional F1 drivers crash their cars in perfect weather or rain conditions.... wow, you must be even above professional F1 skill levels. Two words for you .... Weak Sauce.
Old 09-09-2016, 02:59 AM   #5
Crib

Garage
Your post was allright all up til the parts disrespecting the ones that don't follow your mindset.

Most of us would be interested in your input on winter driving otherwise.

Here's some reasons why I dont do it:

* Swedish winter roads generally raise the risk of either slide off, or have some other car smash into you. (without raising it to an obvious risk )
* Chips from stones and tire studs
* Salt on roads - eats away on the car
Crib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 04:08 AM   #6
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Is the Boxster your only car? If so, I can see why you drive it all year round. Yeah, you can do it, but come to the NorthEast where there's traffic galore... Mix that in with salt and sand on the roads in winter, and it's not so much fun anymore. My Audi Quattro is much better suited to that crap than the Boxster.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 04:21 AM   #7

Quote:
I drive my 03 Boxster S regardless of weather. It is fun and a damn good adrenaline rush.

To those that "winter storage" their cars...whatever. Your loss and shows a lack of driving skill IMO. I live in Colorado and will never be intimidated by weather. I bought it..I own it. I love it.
That's really nice. With rear engine helps in snow driving; use to live in Aurora!! Do you DIY on you Boxster.
cesarpeji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 04:48 AM   #8

Garage
I guess you win the nerves of Steel award.
What kind of tires do you wear? That makes all the difference
First 2 years the box was my only car so I drove 365. Drove in Ice, snow, Blizzards, cold. Oh by the way I only wore Summer tires, I have only ever had summer tires.
I don't advise that, I just didn't want to hassle with changing tires, having another set of tires/wheels for a few imperfect days.

Last couple years I only drive winter when there is no Snow or Salt. It's the salt that takes the real toll. I still only drive with summer tires

I think with a good set of winter tires the Boxster would be a great car in the snow.
But is certainly wouldn't be at it's best in the warm weather

Also there are many here that have this car an extra fun car and I get the impression their trying to preserve it from the harshness of winter
Old 09-09-2016, 05:21 AM   #9
Beginner

Garage
Hook line and sinker.
Old 09-09-2016, 06:33 AM   #10

I must be sleepy, I was under the impression that the title read "I drive my 356 regardless"
stelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 06:45 AM   #11
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:

Come on up to Winnipeg in late January. You will change your mind about driving your Porsche on our rutted, ice packed, salt & sand, coated roads.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 07:48 AM   #12

Garage
Quote:

I live in Colorado and will never be intimidated by weather.
Weird post - but I will bite. I store my Boxster during the snowy, salty months because my AWD Murano is safer and much more capable in the snow. Could I get around in the Boxster during the winter? Sure! But why risk it when I have another vehicle that does the job much better.

Plus- I consider the Murano as a disposable vehicle, that will likely be long gone by the time it reaches the current age of my Boxster. So- I don't mind exposing it to the salt and frigid starts.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:51 AM   #13

Well, I guess that would make me one of the worst drivers in the country...I won't even drive mine in the rain...

Mine stays tucked away in my garage, under cover, if there's a rain cloud in sight...

1985 Porsche Carrera Targa - Guards Red

1978 Porsche 911SC Euro Non-Sunroof - Grand Prix White
Seadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 10:57 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadweller View Post
Well, I guess that would make me one of the worst drivers in the country...I won't even drive mine in the rain.
Ditto
MARTHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 04:36 PM   #15

Ditto X 2. It's not my driving I'm worried about, it's all the other people.
Old 09-09-2016, 05:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
Ditto X 2. It's not my driving I'm worried about, it's all the other people.
+1

Hit and run on a cold icey night is what totalled my mustang. Insurance check paid for my boxster s though so silver linings.... Regardless though baby is going in for the winter and not coming out till spring time.
2000986s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:46 PM   #17

LOL..This was a vodka induced posting :-)

My Boxster is my only vehicle, thus the reason I will drive it 365. No offense meant to anyone.

I just put on a set of Continental DWS06 tires.
SteelStroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 09:49 PM   #18
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
LOL..This was a vodka induced posting :-)
Hahaha! It happens
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 06:53 PM   #19
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
I drive my 03 Boxster S regardless of weather. It is fun and a damn good adrenaline rush. I live in Colorado and will never be intimidated by weather. I bought it..I own it. I love it.
I, for one, salute you sir!

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 09:04 AM   #20

JLando would say you drive your Boxster 365 because you're poor!