Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2016, 04:50 PM   #1

Headlights Not Staying Seated

I bought two new headlight assembly's a couple months ago. They will not stay locked in position.

I followed the owners manual guide and turned the clamp until they pop in pulled on them and they do not move. However after driving a while both of them seem to come lose.

Help is appreciated.

SteelStroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 05:14 PM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
They wouldn't happen to be the aftermarket headlights with LED running lights and turn signals, would they?
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 06:13 PM   #3

Garage
The rod that locks the light into position has a White bushing that is held in place with a snap ring (E-ring). Any way at one point the snap ring came off on mine and the bushing slipped over. The light kept coming loose because the rod was too low.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:29 PM   #4

Replaced original with two of these:

Porsche Boxster Driver Left Headlight Assembly Automotive Lighting 98663113114 | eBay

Just replacement halogen headlight assembly's. Original Bosch were 2.5 times expensive. I paid 400 per headlight.

Last edited by SteelStroke; 08-25-2016 at 08:39 PM.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:48 PM   #5
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelStroke View Post
Replaced original with two of these:

Porsche Boxster Driver Left Headlight Assembly Automotive Lighting 98663113114 | eBay

Just replacement halogen headlight assembly's. Original Bosch were 2.5 times expensive. I paid 400 per headlight.
Those are OEM. Sometimes they are labelled Bosch, sometimes Automotive Lighting, sometimes Magneti Marelli, but they are all the exact same headlights right down to the markings. You have original Bosch

Take the advice above and inspect the tray and locking bar.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:36 PM   #6

Guess I did not hold my mouth right when seating them. The white plastic bearing and clip on seals were all good. Just did not rotate them enough for a good seal.