Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2016, 06:24 AM   #1
alankitchener

normal engine noise ?

Forgive me for asking these questions about noises, etc but I am new to porsches and just like to get peoples views.
On start up, for about a second , I get a noise that resembles a chain being drawn across a wooden box, I seem to have read somewhere about this noise and it was explained that it was the chains going across the tensioners/guides prior to them being pressurized ( all happens very quick)
Is this a fair assumption to make. Thanks Alan

Old 08-19-2016, 07:53 AM   #2

A few days ago your engine was ticking and we helped with that.It has also' clunked' and now it has new noises? But you have never acknowledged resolution of any noise we helped diagnose or suggested remedies for.Perhaps I missed it?
For the current/previous noise, you posted no video/sound, no other diagnostic info as requested , no part number as requested previously, no details of the engine rebuild. We may be able to help with diagnosis but we need data .Otherwise our suggestions are mere clairvoyance.
A very useful tool for these problems is an "Engine Ear" -no, not a long screwdriver or a piece of rubber tube nor a stethoscope - a purpose-made electronic tool to locate noises precisely .
Chassis and Engine Ear Combination Stethoscope ALB30508 | eBay
Your mechanic has one ?
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 08:34 AM   #3

I think you have a bad case of "Oh my god! My new engine just made a noise!"
Old 08-19-2016, 12:58 PM   #4
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alankitchener View Post
... I get a noise that resembles a chain being drawn across a wooden box, I seem to have read somewhere about this noise and it was explained that it was the chains going across the tensioners/guides prior to them being pressurized....

Sounds like it could be serious. Wooden boxes are known for being an inexpensive, but short-term fix for worn chain ramps. Check your oil filter for sawdust. If the filter is clean, it's probably what you seem to have read.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:00 AM   #5
alankitchener

don't matter, got some opinions from another site!
Old 08-22-2016, 12:55 PM   #6

Quote:
don't matter, got some opinions from another site!
Alan,
I am surprised at your dismissive Post. Members here spend their time generously helping each other with technical problems. The best way to give sound advice is to collect all the technical evidence first and THEN give an opinion. So we often ask for more technical data. That is why you were asked for info.For whatever reason you don't give tech info. Very strange but O.K. But please don't slam people on this Forum with an insinuation that you got better advice elsewhere - when you did not.

Below,in quotes are the replies you actually got from the other Forum.
With no relevant technical information for your car they give anecdotal opinion.
What we try to do is the get all the relevant info and THEN give you the help.

"Alan:Forgive me for asking these questions about noises, etc but I am new to porsches and just like to get peoples views.
On start up, for about a second , I get a noise that resembles a chain being drawn across a wooden box, I seem to have read somewhere about this noise and it was explained that it was the chains going across the tensioners/guides prior to them being pressurized ( all happens very quick)
Is this a fair assumption to make. Thanks Alan "

"Stan : I am not sure if this helps but my 986 3.2s also makes this noise - always seems worse when the car is on a slope with the front of the car pointing up hill.
Thinking it was something expensive I had the car inspected at an Indy and they seemed to suggest all was well!"
"Alan :Thanks Stan, a little reassured. First thoughts were mains, but its had new shells about 10k ago. Anyway i'll just drive it and enjoy!, even in the wet today it was good. cheers "
"Bodster: Mine does this too and has for 7 years.....not an issue as above just chain tentioner for a few seconds"
So we got it right, you wanted reassurance ,not diagnosis. See link below
another engine noise question - 986 - www.BoXa.net
And yet you are still asking us questions -2 on batteries !
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/62842-changing-battery-post507424.html#poststop
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/62593-battery-change.html

Last edited by Gelbster; 08-22-2016 at 01:09 PM.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:50 PM   #7
alankitchener

Hi sorry if my reply upset you. But the replies I got from the question were not exactly helpful. I didn't realise that a repeated question with no technical info would cause so much of a problem, and require an investigation into my postings on this , and other sites . Any future postings will be more thought out and contain any available information, even perhaps a recording of a chain dragged over a wooden box. Regards

Last edited by alankitchener; 08-23-2016 at 12:04 AM. Reason: wrong
Old 08-23-2016, 03:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Hi sorry if my reply upset you. But the replies I got from the question were not exactly helpful. I didn't realise that a repeated question with no technical info would cause so much of a problem, and require an investigation into my postings on this , and other sites . Any future postings will be more thought out and contain any available information, even perhaps a recording of a chain dragged over a wooden box. Regards
Lol - I'm amazed that for a lot of you folks this is your first time using a forum.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
GTsilber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 01:43 PM   #9

Quote:
My first forum as well and I have not been P.C. here as well. Funny to be thought of as strange for not using forums. My phone isnt even smart. My excuse is I am to busy driving,fishing, surfing etc. Hell i did not want to take the time to write this. Notice I did not capitilize the I. That is because i am a rule breaker! And i also misspelled capitilize 2 times. I can tell if i did not find this forum the 986 would be long gone. P.s. Woody is your friend. Hands down great car worth every penny.
nicecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 03:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTsilber View Post
Lol - I'm amazed that for a lot of you folks this is your first time using a forum.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
I'd never had the use for a forum before this car. Frankly, I'm amazed you are amazed.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:56 AM   #11

One look at the number of postings of each member should clue folks in here that we are a very knowledgeable group of people and enjoy helping, diagnosing and otherwise yaking with forum members. No snobbery here just being helpful to each other.

Personally, when I'm browsing the posts I tend to pass over the ones with insufficient info to help, unless there have not been any responses, in which case I would at least ask for more info to see if the member is serious in his efforts to resolve the issue and has not resorted to the dealership yet.

I'd say that for each post we make we probably saved a DIY'er $1.

Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote