View Single Post
Old 08-22-2016, 12:55 PM   #6
Gelbster

Quote:
Originally Posted by alankitchener View Post
don't matter, got some opinions from another site!
Alan,
I am surprised at your dismissive Post. Members here spend their time generously helping each other with technical problems. The best way to give sound advice is to collect all the technical evidence first and THEN give an opinion. So we often ask for more technical data. That is why you were asked for info.For whatever reason you don't give tech info. Very strange but O.K. But please don't slam people on this Forum with an insinuation that you got better advice elsewhere - when you did not.

Below,in quotes are the replies you actually got from the other Forum.
With no relevant technical information for your car they give anecdotal opinion.
What we try to do is the get all the relevant info and THEN give you the help.

"Alan:Forgive me for asking these questions about noises, etc but I am new to porsches and just like to get peoples views.
On start up, for about a second , I get a noise that resembles a chain being drawn across a wooden box, I seem to have read somewhere about this noise and it was explained that it was the chains going across the tensioners/guides prior to them being pressurized ( all happens very quick)
Is this a fair assumption to make. Thanks Alan "

"Stan : I am not sure if this helps but my 986 3.2s also makes this noise - always seems worse when the car is on a slope with the front of the car pointing up hill.
Thinking it was something expensive I had the car inspected at an Indy and they seemed to suggest all was well!"
"Alan :Thanks Stan, a little reassured. First thoughts were mains, but its had new shells about 10k ago. Anyway i'll just drive it and enjoy!, even in the wet today it was good. cheers "
"Bodster: Mine does this too and has for 7 years.....not an issue as above just chain tentioner for a few seconds"
So we got it right, you wanted reassurance ,not diagnosis. See link below
another engine noise question - 986 - www.BoXa.net
And yet you are still asking us questions -2 on batteries !
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/62842-changing-battery-post507424.html#poststop
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/62593-battery-change.html

Last edited by Gelbster; 08-22-2016 at 01:09 PM.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote