Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2016, 05:08 AM   #1
alankitchener

ticking when warm

Meant to add this to my post about clutch, but forgot, so hears another question I have. My S has a slight ticking noise on tickover (800 rpm) but goes at 1000 rpm and above , when warm ,but not their when moving. I noticed it more today as we had been for a run in this fantastic weather, and pulled up for my wife to post a letter and the door was open and top down and we were along side a hedge, so it probably was more noticeable.

From cold I get a ticking then it seems to go after about a second. Sometimes a little more noisey if car not used for a while, but still goes after about a second or two. I am not really that bothered about it, I know about the lifters not filling with oil very quickly, causing a noise, etc

The engine has been rebuilt with new chains, guides, rings, Mains shells, and LN ims bearing, etc.in 2014 (10k ago) and runs great, no noises under load, or when high reving.

Just wondering what ideas anyone has, or if they experience a similar noise when warm. I certainly wont be tearing the engine just yet. Thanks alan

Old 08-18-2016, 07:31 AM   #2

First make sure they filled it with the correct oil.Until that is done anything said is speculation.Ask Hartech for the oil recommendation. In warm areas of the USA it would be an M96-appropriate version of 5W-40. But that is the easy part of the spec. The additive package is the difficult part. Hence the suggestion to talk to Hartech.
What part number did your rebuilder use for the oil pump piston & spring ?Be very careful getting that answer - a few digits difference are crucial.

Last edited by Gelbster; 08-18-2016 at 07:34 AM.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:34 PM   #3

Hello Alan,

the ticking will be caused by the hydraulic lifters.

As Gelbster said - the right oil is a very important point. Most rebuilds that where made by Hartech and german rebuilders use Motul 300V 15W-50. This is an ester based oil with very high HTHS.

It is very important to change this oil once per year, because of the ester base.

15W-50 means also that you have to warm up the engine gently.

Regards, Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:40 PM   #4

Guten Abend Markus !

Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote