Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2016, 05:10 AM   #1

"crunchy" window, need opinions

my window just started doing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbFM9a13MKk

it sounds like it's catching on something, maybe the regulator cables?
note when it goes up than drops more than a palm on its own. is that the safety mechanism thinking it's hitting something or microswitch?

when i push down hard on the window there seems to be some slack in the regulator cables. that's my main suspect i just wanted some opinions in case anyone else had this happen to them, i dont want to open the door twice, i rather buy the regulator and replace in one go. this regulator was replaced by me a year ago with zero issues until now but i guess they are still crappy.

thanks,

Cristian

CrisZenithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:33 AM   #2
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrisZenithBlue View Post
my window just started doing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbFM9a13MKk

it sounds like it's catching on something, maybe the regulator cables?
note when it goes up than drops more than a palm on its own. is that the safety mechanism thinking it's hitting something or microswitch?

when i push down hard on the window there seems to be some slack in the regulator cables. that's my main suspect i just wanted some opinions in case anyone else had this happen to them, i dont want to open the door twice, i rather buy the regulator and replace in one go. this regulator was replaced by me a year ago with zero issues until now but i guess they are still crappy.

thanks,

Cristian

you need new regulator my friend.
just replaced both on my c2 with only 37K miles on the clock
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:50 AM   #3

well.. that regulator lasted me a year
it's not so much about the money but the pain in the A$$ to replace it. not hard but takes time, maybe the second time around i'll be faster.

thank you sir!
CrisZenithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:24 PM   #4
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
I know your pain. I had the cable come off the wheel and wedge in between the steel and the wheel. I had installed it about 3 months prior. I was able to pull it apart and re-string it and it has been working for quite awhile now. Unfortunately, I am starting to get pretty good at it. I have had both doors apart twice. These pliers really make it easier to get the door cards off. And the OEM regulators are expensive.

Panel Clip Pliers

rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote