Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2016, 11:48 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben006 View Post
WD40 on rubber is not a good idea, it makes it shine, but eats it.
Would that explain why they look so good after a good hot WD40 scrub? I mean, the natural and fresh rubber shows up, you literally see the natural jet black and purple'ish flares or natural rubber coming to life. NO SHINE, god I hate that look lollll

Takes away the old dry rubber layer also? Somehow my tire has so much more grip after a wash, fresh, refurbished, quality and natural looking rubber. Yummmy

See, advantages my friend, advantages!

ps. pls dont give me the but but but they will have less of a lifespawn, I change my tires each and every 3~4 years or something anyway. They have to look good (must)

Old 07-21-2016, 12:17 AM   #22

Important to note: and before someone reading this thinks spraying WD-40 is the way to go to get tire to SHINE, that is not the technique or idea behind. In fact your tire are not going to shine anymore. For those that like the look.

Unless of course you just spray the thing and wipe it quickly, then yes you'll end up with fake looking shinny rubber but normally not for long.

I meant: SCRUB, with hot (very hot water) for the stuff to mix and be effective. Can be used straight (I'm guessing) but I diluted it for strength reason. Works equally good anyway, hot water being the key (soften the bubber!).

Obviously, you rinse and wash wheels + others with your regular soap and technique after. Helps flushing the driveway of other petroleum also

No way let anyone or yourself using heavy duty solvents. Those you see on TV that magically clean brakes and wheels. This stuff is so strong it will prematurely corrode anything it touches; say bye to your caliper nipples... they'll seize up, dried brake hoses, and wheel bearings will need to be replaced in <50k miles

(scout promise!)

Last edited by Nine8Six; 07-21-2016 at 02:26 AM. Reason: corrections corrections
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 04:20 AM   #23

WARNING: Use at your own risks

So there, I was having a fight with mate/colleague Andy here RE how much I've screwed up my tires over the last 10+ years I've been using this WD40 tire rejuvenating technique and we pretty much got to the bottom of the story by calling his favorite car detailing professional to check.

Pro answer: "you are crazy to use WD40, you'll need to scrub all day long compared to commercial tire dressing kit available everywhere". You apply it and it will eat up your rubber in no time, no scrubbing required! They are all petroleum distillates based concentrates anyway and does just that, eat rubber.

As-in worst than WD40, which also has petroleum distillates lolll

So my guess is WD40 is definitely not better, but cheaper, and its only advantage is it doesn't have added "petroleum based oil" that commercial tire dressing kit normally comes with. These shinny oil additives are not natural essential oils I promise you that (nine8six promise). I don't even need to check lolllll

Shinny Oils, the stuff that grab every little dust and solidify them onto your tire

ps. brake and wheel heavy duty solvents are actually not solvents (apparently), they are acidic based products. Scary stuff when you think about it
Old 07-21-2016, 04:48 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben006 View Post

On good clean wheels, the brake dust don't stick much.

I've polished mine with a very soft polishing compound, and they are very easy to clean with dish soap and hot water.
Ditto. Clean wheels and dust removed every couple/few weeks with some soap and water and no problems. If you leave it on for months it will stain and etch the wheel clear coat and then the only way to get it off is with some kind of caustic stuff which removes more wheel coating.

Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote