Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2016, 01:47 PM   #1

Temperature on gauge cluster

Anyone know if I'm supposed to have the temperature readout on the gauge cluster? I have a 2001 Boxster S. Was this an option or is my LCD screen just crapping out?

Rok986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 02:01 PM   #2
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Outside temperature? It'll show up stock in the LCD if you have the on-board computer enabled.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 02:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserion View Post
Outside temperature? It'll show up stock in the LCD if you have the on-board computer enabled.
Not on a 2001. To see anything on that car, you need the onboard computer function enabled in the DME and some type of switching device (fourth stalk, dash switch, etc.) installed. Just activation of the OBC function in the DME will not result in any display.
Old 07-06-2016, 02:37 PM   #4

Porsche Boxster On Board Computer (OBC) Upgrade and Turn Signal Switch Replacement - 986 / 987 (1997-08) - Pelican Parts Technical Article

Here's a link to step-by-step instructions for the OBC upgrade.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 06:54 PM   #5

All you need to do it get the OBC turned on. You don't need anything else for temperature. If you want the other features, you can add upgrade the blinker stalk to 4 handles (assuming you have cruise control) and add some wires and get full on board computer control. You need to find someone with a programer because the dealer usually wont do it for you since it was an expensive option. I did the full mod on mine and added cruise control at the same time.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Not on a 2001. To see anything on that car, you need the onboard computer function enabled in the DME and some type of switching device (fourth stalk, dash switch, etc.) installed. Just activation of the OBC function in the DME will not result in any display.
Truth

You will need a connection to be grounded in the instrument cluster...a switch or a harness if you are installing a 4 stalk
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:43 PM   #7
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Quote:
Which is what I did on mine (added correct stalk and enabled with Durametric). As I was on my phone, was mainly trying to find out if he already had the OBC from the factory or not.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:29 AM   #8

Excellent info. Thanks guys! I do have cruise control, but not he fourth stalk. All I want is the temp reading so I know how hot or cold it is.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:49 AM   #9
Crib

Garage
Quote:
From what MY does it activate when activating OBC? I have a 2003 and want the outside temp. My plan is to activate it only, and maybe later do the mod with a rocker switch for the other functions.

* Is there any risk of unwanted side effects when just activating OBC?
* Is there any risk that any of the other functions are displayed when just activating the OBC, not being able to navigate to outside temp without having done the mod?

Thx in advance!
Crib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:02 AM   #10
Project Addicted

We have a base 2000 box and when we replaced the cluster, the outside temp just showed up. No OBC installed nothing changed in any settings anywhere. Odd.
1986 944, 2000 Boxster
jcslocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcslocum View Post
We have a base 2000 box and when we replaced the cluster, the outside temp just showed up. No OBC installed nothing changed in any settings anywhere. Odd.
No, the 2000 car had a cluster which was activated installed in place of the original one, which would give you that result. In 2001, however, simply activating the OBC will give you no display without a switching device installed because 01 was the beginning of the CAN Bus dash, which behaves differently.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 07-07-2016 at 07:55 AM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:58 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crib View Post
From what MY does it activate when activating OBC? I have a 2003 and want the outside temp. My plan is to activate it only, and maybe later do the mod with a rocker switch for the other functions.

* Is there any risk of unwanted side effects when just activating OBC?
* Is there any risk that any of the other functions are displayed when just activating the OBC, not being able to navigate to outside temp without having done the mod?

Thx in advance!
Activating the OBC will have no side effects, it just won't display anything without the switching device.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserion View Post
Which is what I did on mine (added correct stalk and enabled with Durametric). As I was on my phone, was mainly trying to find out if he already had the OBC from the factory or not.
Scan the system with the Durametric tool and it will tell you if it is active or not.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:03 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by apswater View Post
All you need to do it get the OBC turned on. You don't need anything else for temperature. If you want the other features, you can add upgrade the blinker stalk to 4 handles (assuming you have cruise control) and add some wires and get full on board computer control. You need to find someone with a programer because the dealer usually wont do it for you since it was an expensive option. I did the full mod on mine and added cruise control at the same time.
On a 2000, but not on a 2001.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:31 AM   #15

Quote:
No, the 2000 car had a cluster which was activated installed in place of the original one, which would give you that result. In 2001, however, simply activating the OBC will give you no display without a switching device installed because 01 was the beginning of the CAN Bus dash, which behaves differently.
Yeah, unfortunately that's what i'm reading. Guess it's gonna take some work...or just continue using my left hand out the window as my well calibrated temp gauge...:ah: