986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Temperature on gauge cluster (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/62253-temperature-gauge-cluster.html)

Rok986 07-06-2016 02:47 PM

Temperature on gauge cluster
 
Anyone know if I'm supposed to have the temperature readout on the gauge cluster? I have a 2001 Boxster S. Was this an option or is my LCD screen just crapping out?

Deserion 07-06-2016 03:01 PM

Outside temperature? It'll show up stock in the LCD if you have the on-board computer enabled.

JFP in PA 07-06-2016 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deserion (Post 502151)
Outside temperature? It'll show up stock in the LCD if you have the on-board computer enabled.

Not on a 2001. To see anything on that car, you need the onboard computer function enabled in the DME and some type of switching device (fourth stalk, dash switch, etc.) installed. Just activation of the OBC function in the DME will not result in any display.

KevinH1990 07-06-2016 03:37 PM

Porsche Boxster On Board Computer (OBC) Upgrade and Turn Signal Switch Replacement - 986 / 987 (1997-08) - Pelican Parts Technical Article

Here's a link to step-by-step instructions for the OBC upgrade.

apswater 07-06-2016 07:54 PM

All you need to do it get the OBC turned on. You don't need anything else for temperature. If you want the other features, you can add upgrade the blinker stalk to 4 handles (assuming you have cruise control) and add some wires and get full on board computer control. You need to find someone with a programer because the dealer usually wont do it for you since it was an expensive option. I did the full mod on mine and added cruise control at the same time.

Pdwight 07-06-2016 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 502156)
Not on a 2001. To see anything on that car, you need the onboard computer function enabled in the DME and some type of switching device (fourth stalk, dash switch, etc.) installed. Just activation of the OBC function in the DME will not result in any display.

Truth

You will need a connection to be grounded in the instrument cluster...a switch or a harness if you are installing a 4 stalk

Deserion 07-06-2016 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 502156)
Not on a 2001. To see anything on that car, you need the onboard computer function enabled in the DME and some type of switching device (fourth stalk, dash switch, etc.) installed. Just activation of the OBC function in the DME will not result in any display.

Which is what I did on mine (added correct stalk and enabled with Durametric). As I was on my phone, was mainly trying to find out if he already had the OBC from the factory or not. :)

Rok986 07-07-2016 07:29 AM

Excellent info. Thanks guys! I do have cruise control, but not he fourth stalk. All I want is the temp reading so I know how hot or cold it is.

Crib 07-07-2016 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 502156)
Not on a 2001. To see anything on that car, you need the onboard computer function enabled in the DME and some type of switching device (fourth stalk, dash switch, etc.) installed. Just activation of the OBC function in the DME will not result in any display.

From what MY does it activate when activating OBC? I have a 2003 and want the outside temp. My plan is to activate it only, and maybe later do the mod with a rocker switch for the other functions.

* Is there any risk of unwanted side effects when just activating OBC?
* Is there any risk that any of the other functions are displayed when just activating the OBC, not being able to navigate to outside temp without having done the mod?

Thx in advance! :)

jcslocum 07-07-2016 08:02 AM

We have a base 2000 box and when we replaced the cluster, the outside temp just showed up. No OBC installed nothing changed in any settings anywhere. Odd.

JFP in PA 07-07-2016 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcslocum (Post 502229)
We have a base 2000 box and when we replaced the cluster, the outside temp just showed up. No OBC installed nothing changed in any settings anywhere. Odd.

No, the 2000 car had a cluster which was activated installed in place of the original one, which would give you that result. In 2001, however, simply activating the OBC will give you no display without a switching device installed because 01 was the beginning of the CAN Bus dash, which behaves differently.

JFP in PA 07-07-2016 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crib (Post 502228)
From what MY does it activate when activating OBC? I have a 2003 and want the outside temp. My plan is to activate it only, and maybe later do the mod with a rocker switch for the other functions.

* Is there any risk of unwanted side effects when just activating OBC?
* Is there any risk that any of the other functions are displayed when just activating the OBC, not being able to navigate to outside temp without having done the mod?

Thx in advance! :)

Activating the OBC will have no side effects, it just won't display anything without the switching device.

JFP in PA 07-07-2016 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deserion (Post 502192)
Which is what I did on mine (added correct stalk and enabled with Durametric). As I was on my phone, was mainly trying to find out if he already had the OBC from the factory or not. :)

Scan the system with the Durametric tool and it will tell you if it is active or not.

JFP in PA 07-07-2016 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apswater (Post 502187)
All you need to do it get the OBC turned on. You don't need anything else for temperature. If you want the other features, you can add upgrade the blinker stalk to 4 handles (assuming you have cruise control) and add some wires and get full on board computer control. You need to find someone with a programer because the dealer usually wont do it for you since it was an expensive option. I did the full mod on mine and added cruise control at the same time.

On a 2000, but not on a 2001.

Rok986 07-07-2016 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 502230)
No, the 2000 car had a cluster which was activated installed in place of the original one, which would give you that result. In 2001, however, simply activating the OBC will give you no display without a switching device installed because 01 was the beginning of the CAN Bus dash, which behaves differently.

Yeah, unfortunately that's what i'm reading. Guess it's gonna take some work...or just continue using my left hand out the window as my well calibrated temp gauge...:ah:


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website