Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2016, 06:49 AM   #1

No alarm system in my car?

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to figure out what type of alarm I have and I've come to the conclusion that I don't have one? Here's the story: I just got my '99 Boxster basic and when I lock the car, I see the LED flash a few times then stop. My keys are the basic keys, no buttons on them. In the manual it says I should see some other LED flash after the initial flashing and the diagram shows some thing on the top of the dashboard that I don't have (It's like some object several inches above the LED that I do have). I asked the previous owner and he said he didn't know! I came here to search and found out about the option codes so I looked up mine on more than one website and didn't see any of my codes corresponding to an alarm system. Yes I know I can test it by locking the car with the top down then waiting and opening the door from the inside, but I was afraid that if there is an alarm and it goes off I wouldn't be able to turn it off (I disconnected a battery for a neighbor whose alarm went off and it sounded off again when we reconnected the battery).
For reference, I've listed my options below, and note that I'm only listing the 3-digit codes from the sticker. Please let me know if the other sticker numbers will help.

xmy arctic silver painted roll-over bar
498 without model designation on rear end
502 produced at Valmet plant in Uusikaupunki, Finland
551 wind deflector
584 storage box on engine cover
688 CD radio CDR-210
981 leather dashboard and door panels
983 leather seats

Mauiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 07:43 AM   #2

Not all of the early cars had alarm/immobilizer systems in them, it was an option rather than a standard issue item.
Old 07-03-2016, 08:59 AM   #3

My 97 didn't have an alarm or remote locking either, if it's not in your options you probably don't have it.

I added both an alarm and keyless entry using a cheap (~$20) unit from eBay following this thread and it works a charm...
3rd Party Keyless Entry DIY (Why Not?)

Only downsides are the alarm is motion and door only (doesn't use the fancy IR sensors so won't spot someone reaching in when the top is down), and having to carry an additional fob instead of it being built into the key.
oldskool73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 02:44 PM   #4

So you guys think there's not even a factory alarm? I'm stunned, how could Porsche send their expensive cars off the line without one! I know the root answer is money but c'mon, Porsche knows their cars are higher up on the theft list...
Old 07-03-2016, 02:48 PM   #5

Again, it was an option on the early cars, it only became standard later.
Old 07-03-2016, 04:49 PM   #6

Ok so I guess I need an alarm system. Googling will yield a million results, and I'm willing to do that but if anyone has suggestions I would like to hear them. I've never had a car with an alarm system before and I'm thinking that I'd rather have something that prevents the car from being stolen.
oldskool I'll consider your suggestion too, thanks.
Old 07-03-2016, 05:09 PM   #7
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Per your option codes, definitely no alarm. I think on US models it would be 535.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:59 PM   #8
Certified Boxster Addict

Agree, 535 is the option code for the alarm.

This is not entirely surprising as Boxster's were built to a budget and while not exactly cheap at $41,000 list price, they weren't particularly expensive either.

And Porsche's are not stolen very often. They are no where close to the Top Ten of stolen vehicles each year (just not enough of them out there and they are usually well cared for).

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote