Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2014, 08:54 AM   #1

So I Have This Launch Code?

I checked my VIN on the Porsche site for options and came up with this one:

762 PAG Code - Launch Code

What does that mean?

I don't have launch control . . . ?

Old 05-30-2014, 08:56 AM   #2

Garage
Maybe a early production promotional vehicle. Is it a low VIN #?
Old 05-30-2014, 09:12 AM   #3

It means it was a launch car .
My c4 is one from when they launched 997.2 with pdk , dfi etc .
Basically it came specced from the factory and the dealer had no say in it .
They where the first cars in that series released to dealers and every dealer in USA got one to put on the sales floor "for demonstration only - not for resale " . If the dealer went to the official launch in Germany they were then entitled to ask for two .
These are the cars you get invited to your local dealers to preview when they have a "launch party"
You cannot buy them but can look at them to get an idea of what you can order .
Once orders started being delivered in number weeks later the dealers could then allow test drive and sale .
Many where very well specced from the factory . I love mine pdk c4S gt2 carbon buckets . LSD , sportPasm , launch control etc .
The 997.1 was another good one with black paint and ceramic brakes .
With the 997.2 they went one step further than the single black 2s coupe and offered a c2 , cabriolet , c4s versions .
Obviously the c4s version is the best !! Lol

Last edited by Ian c; 05-30-2014 at 09:21 AM.
Ian c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:56 AM   #4

Key in the right code and launch the pr*** in the passenger seat?
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 01:28 PM   #5

Cool

Is your car the EXACT same as this one ?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xctyIWoCpQU

I just had a quick google to see what was out there about the Boxster launch cars .
I figured there'd be both s and base in manual and pdk , and maybe one of each with sport chrono .
All I could find was a red/sand base , and silver/black S .
I'm sure you can find out exactly how many models and what the specs on each version was by searching cars for sale and magazine articles reviewing the new Boxster in 2009 , should you desire ...

Bear in mind , one to each dealer in us means around 250 launch cars in total .
If they did 5 Boxster versions , it'll be a 1-in-50 car
Not so much a collectors car , but a usefull bit of trivia about your "unique" limited edition car .
I do know of people who have actively sought out launch cars to buy though .....

Last edited by Ian c; 05-30-2014 at 01:30 PM.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:10 PM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:56 AM   #7

WOW! That's cool So I ended up with the car that everyone drooled over in the dealership. And then they all test drove.

But that's okay, I feel kind of obligated to keep it now. The original price was $56 K, if anyone wants to know.

Prodriver: How would I know if it has a low VIN? Which digits are those?

Ian : Yes, that's it. Same finishes, options, etc. I'm glad I looked up the number because apparently I also have a heated steering wheel. Not sure what I'll ever do with that. I'm assuming it comes on when the heated seats are on, because I've never seen a button for it.

Ekam: I was hoping it was for that, lol. Next time someone complains that I drive too fast. . .

thstone: LOL! That made me laugh.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:53 AM   #8

The last 6 digits of your VIN is your serial number. The last 4 digits will tell the story.

To add to what Ian said... Launch Vehicles are the first ones off the assembly line. They do a batch of similar cars - same color, options, etc that are sent to the dealers for display. Then as production ramps up and new cars fill the pipeline, the dealers are allowed to sell the LV. But they generally don't do a lot of variety of LVs. (ie 5 Boxster LVs) In your case there probably only 2 Boxster LVs in 2009 - a base and S. LVs generally are well equipped because Porsche wants the customers to see the new toys and inspire customers to order them.

I discovered the 06 Cayman S I bought 2 yrs ago to resell was a Launch Vehicle after I bought it. It was #0267. There were 2 Cayman LVs - a silver one with a bunch of options and a black one with fewer options.

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/35182-vin-production-number.html
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)

Last edited by husker boxster; 05-31-2014 at 12:18 PM.
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 05:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche Chick View Post
WOW! That's cool So I ended up with the car that everyone drooled over in the dealership. And then they all test drove.

Ian : Yes, that's it. Same finishes, options, etc. I'm glad I looked up the number because apparently I also have a heated steering wheel. Not sure what I'll ever do with that. I'm assuming it comes on when the heated seats are on, because I've never seen a button for it.

They were not allowed to test drive them !!
I worded it wrong I guess .
They were For display purposes only .
You'll see magazine reviews using launch cars , but I believe these where Pcna press cars rather than dealer cars .
Allthough no doubt they ended up discounted to dealers .
I'm also certain every sales guy and mechanic had to take them for a test drive "just to make sure its ok"
Once the production orders where shipped , the launch cars could be test driven and sold .
If you have dealer papers with your car it will show the mileage when it left the showroom ........

And yes , the heated wheel will come on with the seats .
I see you also got the ventilated seats ..... I could have done with that option today
Old 06-02-2014, 04:57 AM   #10

@ husker: Thanks, turns out mine is number 212. Mine must be the "lets sell some electronics options" version. It has bluetooth phone and a fantastic (no name) stereo. It's really an amazing stereo, and I'm picky about those. I bet the other version had to be an S.

@ ian: glad to know it wasn't driven by everyone. The dealer told the story of a guy that managed to crush a side panel and mangle a wheel during a test drive of a 911.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:59 AM   #11

Sigh . . .

Now that I know all this, I'll never want to sell it . . .
Old 06-02-2014, 12:54 PM   #12

Garage
[QUOTE=Porsche Chick;403138]WOW! That's cool So I ended up with the car that everyone drooled over in the dealership. And then they all test drove.

But that's okay, I feel kind of obligated to keep it now. The original price was $56 K, if anyone wants to know.

Prodriver: How would I know if it has a low VIN? Which digits are those?

Generaly speaking, 3 digits or less is early in the production cycle. I wonder what month your car was made?
Non-Porsche heated steering wheels buttons I have used in 3 other brands have all been located @ 7:00 behind the rim, hard to find but easy to accidently activate.

Usually the 1st vehicles produced with a VIN # are used for testing or photography for sales brochures. The major automotive magazines have a 3 month publication lead time. These "Launch" vehicles are built to highlight new colors & features. Top auto press journalists are invited to a central location to be wined & dined & go on extended test drives in the Launch vehicles. After this "long lead" Launch generally the cars will be divided up & sent to regional press fleet management companys. About a month before the vehicle is available for sale a "short lead" launch takes place for newspaper & online journalists etc. During all this time PCNA sales is pushing other "Launch" special vehicles to thier dealers hoping they will order them & display in the showrooms.
Once all the press fleet vehicles have been loaned to all relevant journalists for evaluation they are sold to a local dealer where they are sold as "executive company cars".

Last edited by BYprodriver; 06-02-2014 at 03:04 PM.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 05:58 PM   #13

Funny thing is my car is a 2000 S launch #113. It has very limited options. CD player, amp, Porsche rim center caps and the box behind the seat. Nothing else.

Wonder why they would show a car with so few options, were there just not that many options back then.

I know this is an old post.

DWBOX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote