Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2016, 09:22 AM   #61
Known Gearhead

Garage
"What does hair dressers car even mean?"

The expression was explained to me by my British cousin, who was driving a Jag XJS at the time. He said many hair dressers in the UK are Gay, so the expression is a slur by homophobic types. According to my cousin, prior to the Boxster, the ultimate "hair dresser's car" was the Triumph Spitfire, something no "Real Man" would drive. Total nonsense.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:28 AM   #62

A buddy of mine saw my car. He gave me the "you bought a hairdresser's car?". I had to say I did. I bought my car from a hairdresser. Really did.
Anyway, I have never bought a car for someone else's approval.

G
GaryMulcahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 01:18 PM   #63

Old 06-17-2016, 06:12 PM   #64

I just watched the RCR for the Cayman. Hilarity ensued!
Old 06-18-2016, 07:14 AM   #65
I am my own mechanic....

Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 07:35 AM   #66
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
I just watched the RCR for the Cayman. Hilarity ensued!
Coffee out my nose. Thanks.
Old 06-18-2016, 08:20 AM   #67
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Funny...

....I'm in my forties and have been a working stiff my whole life. I never thought I would be able to afford a Porsche or any other "exotic" car.

I have owned a Miata since 1993.

I also ride motorcycles and own three.

I guess I just decided I had to own a Boxster before I die. I bought my 2004 Boxster S "50 Years of 550 Spyder" edition exactly one year ago.

One of the drawbacks of trading up from a Miata to a Boxster is the fear of parking her anywhere. I never worried about the Miata. Not MUCH, anyway.

But I am constantly aware of my surroundings and where I park this Boxster. And the whole, "He's a rich jerk Porsche guy" thing is now always in the back of my mind.

I know, I know, First world problems, but it DOES task me just a bit.

Then, I'm on a mountain road at 6,000 RPM and all is right in the universe.

"Poor Man's Porsche"? I don't care.

I own a mid-engined convertible.

Not too many of those out there. Ferrari, Alpha Spyder, Audi R10, Lambo.....What else? Spyker?

Toyota MR Spyder.

Soooooo, let them eat cake. I love this car. I have no desire to own a 911. To me, the Boxster is more fun to drive on the street. GT3s and such are only fun on the track.

I live for cross-country road trips. For that, the Boxster is the best car ever built.

This sums up my thoughts better than anything else I have seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJtloiw4D-M

Cheers!

550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."

Last edited by 10/10ths; 06-18-2016 at 11:04 AM.
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 10:24 AM   #68

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post

That looks pretty nice actually. There is something oddly aesthetic going on.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 12:10 PM   #69
WALDMEISTER

Garage
spelling mistake!

Correct --> Poorcha
Old 06-18-2016, 01:16 PM   #70

Well well Timco, is that the 212 BelAir combo next to your poorcha? How do you find it, is it broken? Can I show you a few riffs from Kerry King
Old 06-18-2016, 08:39 PM   #71
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Well well Timco, is that the 212 BelAir combo next to your poorcha? How do you find it, is it broken? Can I show you a few riffs from Kerry King
It's all tube but about 10 years old. Dad had it.

It's a great sound. I have it miced and a vintage Sure 55 to sing into. We rock at my shop! Just got all the cords down to ELO Turn to Stone. Also have a custom Martin and a vintage '65 Guild studio guitar. Good times.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 10:18 PM   #72

funny.. my second (or third?) guitar was a Guild, no kidd, model Aviator S, chemical green color now that I remember well lolll at that time... wow

Here goes the True & Ultimate Poor Mans Poorche, btw. Right there in red in the corner of my Nerves Fixing Kit.

Timco, same here mate.... good'ol rusty Made in the USA Jackson guitar with a RANDALL 100w tubes - tube-powered only shuts down the world around me 15~20min daily! hence the reason I was asking what you were doing with yours! Got all of the trashiest metal band's tone you can possibly think of here, allllll saved in that little RP500 pedal kit. I recommend (poor man stage sounds x1,000)

Last edited by Nine8Six; 06-18-2016 at 10:23 PM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 05:08 AM   #73

About the only label you put on a boxster is that it might be considered an old man's car. 80% of my customers are men between 40-65, 15% younger Mexican men and 5% young white males. I've never once had a woman show up and buy a part for her boxster. I did have one customer that I think is a woman in "transition" but I'll put he/she in with the 40-65 crowd. I don't care what your sexual preference is but I think I have good gaydar and I've only had a handful of gay guys buying parts for their boxster. I think the only people who label the boxster a gay hairdresser's chick car are people who are jealous they don't have one. I bet if you gave them a boxster, they would be right on this forum praising how much they love their boxster
Old 06-19-2016, 02:22 PM   #74
MWS

In my original post, it was never my intent to impune either the owner or perceived type of owner, but rather to start a conversation about the perception of the car....unless the the reputation of the car is linked to the assumed type of owner. Hmmm...

Maybe the reputation of the car has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with performance or even where it falls in the Porsche lineup, but rather a collective group consciousness regarding a TYPE of buyer. This is something I never considered. Strange...

Ok, enough Sunday philosphical thought...for now.
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 03:05 PM   #75

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWS View Post
In my original post, it was never my intent to impune either the owner or perceived type of owner, but rather to start a conversation about the perception of the car....unless the the reputation of the car is linked to the assumed type of owner. Hmmm...

Maybe the reputation of the car has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with performance or even where it falls in the Porsche lineup, but rather a collective group consciousness regarding a TYPE of buyer. This is something I never considered. Strange...

Ok, enough Sunday philosphical thought...for now.

I think Honda civics are reasonable cars that sound good stock and are reliable but wouldn't be seen dead in one because of the kind of teenagers that do buy them. My perception of most cars is based on the people buying them.

That being said its safe to say the Boxster can be seen as an older males car as any roadster is. But I don't see any harm in that.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 02:24 AM   #76
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Quote:
Hmmm Well I'd have to admit I would have never taken you for a SLAYER guy Fred
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 03:50 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy583 View Post
Hmmm Well I'd have to admit I would have never taken you for a SLAYER guy Fred
loll yea that’s right (sorry for shattering your vision, Tommy!). Racing superbikes @ 320km/hr two weekends each month of the year, base jumping twice a year (off to Tibet with mates in Oct2016), archery, Rottweiler’s owner and fanatic. Oh and yes, trash metal… gigging regularly here. ANYTHING that gets the bad toxins out of the system works for me, normally.

My next hobby are South Asian produced Cocaine and the prostitutes that goes with it but my dearest wife here keeps reminding me that I really shouldn’t – she says I’ll like it too much and hook (?!?!).

Hiding my true personality and eccentric tastes driving a poor-chick car lolllll

My Kerry King riff teacher (you’ll particularly like the lead singer in that vid):

Old 06-21-2016, 05:09 AM   #78
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Awesome Vid Fred. Yes the lead singer was great. I didn't even know they had Slayer songs on guitar hero. Shows how much I play video games lol. Reign in blood is easily the best trash metal album ever. Too bad the wife doesn't share in my enthusiasm in the genre of thrash metal.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 06:27 AM   #79
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
loll yea that’s right (sorry for shattering your vision, Tommy!). Racing superbikes @ 320km/hr two weekends each month of the year, base jumping twice a year (off to Tibet with mates in Oct2016), archery, Rottweiler’s owner and fanatic. Oh and yes, trash metal… gigging regularly here. ANYTHING that gets the bad toxins out of the system works for me, normally.

My next hobby are South Asian produced Cocaine and the prostitutes that goes with it but my dearest wife here keeps reminding me that I really shouldn’t – she says I’ll like it too much and hook (?!?!).

Hiding my true personality and eccentric tastes driving a poor-chick car lolllll

My Kerry King riff teacher (you’ll particularly like the lead singer in that vid):

Just Be sure to stay the hell away from Thailand
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 04:59 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Car enthusiasts rarely hold back their opinions. Here are a few direct quotes about the Boxster said to my face;

"Oh, that's a girls car"
"A Boxster? You should have bought a 911"
"An overpriced Miata"
"He races a Boxster" to a group of 911 racers
"I will never race another hair dressers car" said by another Boxster racer

But as I said, the comments about the 996 were even worse;

"You bought a 996? Are you fudking crazy?"
"The 996 is a complete piece of crap. Oh, is that the car you just bought? ... Sorry dude."
"The 996 is what ruined Porsche"
"You need to sell the 996 and either get a 997 or an air cooled 911."

That made laugh.

Best comment I received:

I was traveling top down on the highway one summer after recently installing the GT3 seats. Traffic came to a standstill. An African American man in his 40s in sunglasses and a hat pulls up next to me in a nice sedan.
He looks over at me, checks out the car and says:

"Oh f***ing hell yeah! Now that's what I'm mother f****ing talkin' about!! ..... F**** yeah."

No one has come close to topping that, either for or against.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 06-21-2016 at 05:01 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote