Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2006, 06:54 AM   #21

I bought my Wife a Beetle 1.8T and we did a few things to it as well. I originally tried selling it for 17,000 in our Auto Trader and nothing. I lowered it to 15,000 and listed it again, nothing. I lowered it again to 13,000 and still nothing. There is no interest in a Beetle at all. My real problem was it was 1.8T Yellow and 5 speed. Only a woman would drive a yellow beetle, and most women have no interest in a more expensive turbo motor or even less a standard transmission. We simply couldn't sell it. I took off the few bits and pieces I could and traded the car in for $10,000 which was $2000 less than I owed on the stupid car.

We lost our shirt trying to sell that car, it was just horible. I sold the few bits and pieces I pulled off for basically nothing so I was out 2k, plus say 2k on the parts I lost money on that were on the car still. (exhaust, lowering springs etc.. couldn't remove those parts).

From a financial standpoint, you would be best off to sell the Boxster and keep the beetle. When your done screwing interns and drinking beer then buy what you want cause you'll have the money to do it. Then pull the stuff off the beetle and sell it or just trade it in and forget about it as you buy a new 997 (or 998 I guess by then lol..) with all that money you're making.

986Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 07:52 PM   #22

so here's an update -

i located a certified, pre-owned 05 330ci with the Mperformance pkg, 6sp/red with black alcantra and carbon fiber interior and only 13000 miles (never titled - was a dealer rep car) for $38,900 at a dealer in Newport Beach. After a couple of hours of haggling, the offered me $38K for the Box and $10k for the beetle (which I didn't have with me - in other words, sight unseen). These are the numbers I walked onto the lot wanting and if my research is correct, the price on the 330ci with a 100000 mile warranty is pretty damn good and believe it or not, it was a nice car - not a boxster, but a damn nice car.

So, $38K is KBB for the Box (and vs what i bought it for - that's not bad depreciation!) and leaves me some nice equity, especially since i owe $14k on the VW and $10k, as hard as it was to get them to agree (especially not even seeing the car) is a pretty good trade in amt - again, that arrangement is what i told myself walking in, is the only way i would agree to part with the Box.

but, i haven't committed yet . although this deal would easily help me part with the VW and having a shiny, fast red bimmer (with four seats) makes for some good individual as well as family fun, i haven't come to terms yet with the real possibility of parting with the porsche (my first porsche, which was a virgin porshe - something i'm pretty proud of).

i told the dealership i'd let them know my decision sunday before they close - thankfully, my wife who wants the VW gone, doesn't want me to part with my porsche, but does want me to quickly go from two cars, to one. however, when she read 986Jim's post about his difficulty selling a beetle, i think she started to like the idea of a red 330ci in the garage

anyone else out there hate having to make decisions like this????? if i could only fast forward to see if and when i'd sell the vw if ran an ad in the autotrader - damnit that inability to see the future

appreciate all the continued points of view - keep em coming. and razr - welcome - good luck finding "the one" - where are you doing your residency and in what?
Japanese Rising Sun roof graphic
De-ambered and nearly de-chromed!

Sold - 05 BMW 330CI ZHP M-tuned
Imola Red, 6spd, Alcantra & Carbon Fiber Interior

Sold - 05 Boxster Black/Black 5spd
19" Carrera S Wheels
Bose Audio System/Sport Chrono Pkg
Schnell Short Shifter
Yellow Calipers c/ carbon fiber Porsche lettering
De-Ambered

Sold - 03 VW Beetle Silver - way too modified!
mach schnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 10:51 PM   #23

Hi,

Ok, admittedy I have been confused by this whole thread.

But I have a sister who is an Obstetric Surgeon, married to a Surgeon Board Certified in Urolological, Oncological and Micro-Surgery (3 specialties). They both maintain Private Practices as well as being on the Faculty of OSU (Ohio State University) School of Medicine. The one common denominator between them and every Surgeon I have ever met is decisiveness.

My advice... revisit what you want, not the Spouse or the Practical and stick with it. Who cares really. You're the one who has to live with it. I'm not trying to Slam you, but no one can make the right decision for you... we simply lack your unique perspective. Think about it, making a Financial Decision based on what a bunch of Internet Schmoes may or may not think...?

You can only seek so many consultations before you must act... in Car Trading or Medicine. I don't care if you keep the Boxster or not, I have no stake in the ultimate outcome. Don't over-analyze, go with your Gut and be done with it. None of this is irreversable...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 05-28-2006 at 06:32 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 04:18 AM   #24

Mach - I have to agree with Jim99...Just make the call and move on, not looking back. Life is too short to worry about second guessing yourself BEFORE you make your decision.
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 09:27 AM   #25

That $38K on your current Box seems pretty generous, but I'm assuming the 330ci is a coupe, and the price seems kind of high for a car that starts at 37.6. If not, why don't you get a 330ci or CPO M3 convertible and let the whole family enjoy some top-down fun?

Did they say anything about the yellow calipers? Like...we're going to have to "fix that"....

You should have told them it had ceramic brakes and received an extra $8,000 on your trade-in...

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky

Last edited by SD987; 05-28-2006 at 09:35 AM.
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 09:49 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Think about it, making a Financial Decision based on what a bunch of Internet Schmoes may or may not think...?
Hey! I resemble that remark! Why, just yesterday I had to run an opinion poll just to figure out what shoes to wear.

Anyway, I get your point Jim. However I really doubt that MS is going to buy a car just off our recommendations. But, discussions like this are pretty useful in bouncing ideas back and forth. I find that discussion "in my head" are generally less valid or useful than those which require me to actually "verbally" articulate my thoughts.

While MS definately needs to determine what he really wants - it certainly also matters what his wife wants. Well, unless his relationship or finances are different than anyone I know. The true beauty is when the "stars align" and what you REALLY want meets up with the finances and spousal support. For me - that was my Boxster. Will it happen again - Man I hope so - but I've got a lot of chores to finish before I try again.

Best of luck MS - I personally like the BMW idea. Really nice car - not a Porsche - but a really nice car in a Not a Porsche sort of way. Did I mention it's not a Porsche?

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 10:32 AM   #27

the funny thing about joining a forum and being a regular participant who both starts threads and responds to them, is that sometimes what one writes or how they become represented is more in the character of "please help me decide..." rather than "hmm this is an interesting thought or dilemma, so let's get some discussion generated..."

certainly, as i started down this road, considering what course of action to take to quickly and effectively go from two-to-one car (s), i saw an opportunity to express an unusual perspective or perhaps skewed stream of logic to achieve an endpoint and share that with a group of others with a common interest who also actively communicate opinions and thoughts. certainly, as this is a difficult decision, i've vacillated back and forth and thus, it's been interesting to hear what other individuals who share a passion for driving would do if in the same situation.

many of you have probably deduced that one objective of using the porsche to eliminate the vw is the fulfillment of ease - in other words, rather than spending weeks of entertaining haggling tire kickers and weekend test drivers and potentially/ultimately take a loss on a private party sale (an endeavor which really dis-interests me), i'd take a lazy way out and let both cars go and have the vw neg equity eaten up by some of the pos. equity in the porsche. my left of center logic here has really generated some good discussion, i think, that reveals how people view the things they are passionate about and what or who they think are important when making decisions that affect multiple individuals.

that being said, we've decided to ride out the sale of the vw, recognizing that also, we have such a good position on the boxster (both equity and monthly payment) that taking the quick way out to be be free of the vw, we'd kick ourselves 6 months down the road! and again, thank god for my wife, who doesn't understand the whole guy-car thing, but still stressed that she didn't really want me to sell the boxster ("i know you love that thing and it's the only virgin you've ever been in..." )

now, hopefully on tues these new tires will put an end to my vibration demon and i can again enjoy the purity of my car!!!

19" Carrera S Wheels
Schnell Short Shifter
De-Ambered

Old 05-28-2006, 12:43 PM   #28

[QUOTE=mach schnell]thank god for my wife, who doesn't understand the whole guy-car thing, but still stressed that she didn't really want me to sell the boxster ("i know you love that thing and it's the only virgin you've ever been in..." )
QUOTE]

That virgin thing is vastly overated. Most virgins, just like yours, have a couple of kinks that have to be worked out before they are truly enjoyable, working smoothly, and are fun to drive.
JackG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 10:56 PM   #29

Congrats, man. I think it's a sound decision.
Old 05-29-2006, 04:33 AM   #30

DO NOT BUY A DEMO CAR!!!!!

We bought the Beetle Demo and the dealer gave us a good trade in on our pathfinder that nobody else would. I couldn't figure out why. Same scenario sight un seen and it was a good deal.

The tranny blew in the Beetle (with only my wife driving not me) about a year later. The people who drove the car drove it so hard, the clutch was totally smoked, the ring gear on the diff was shipped and syncros were all smoked and the gears bashed up pretty good.

Every single person who drives a demo beats the crap out of the car and tranny. The dealer knows this and unloads it cheap or with good trade in value to get rid of them. It doens't matter what the story behind the demo is, it's a lie. We were told the Beetle was driven by the owners car, turns out later on it was a regular demo and people we knew had driven the car and really beat it up. We had factory warranty but this didn't make up for the fact that it was in the shop all the friggin time. It was a total nightmare

VW dined us warranty on the tranny saying it was my wifes fault and so on which is total bs. We had to fight for over a month and the end result was only being covered 80% of the cost. What a load of crap. My wife drives standard well, so don't even think that it's her fault, she drives my Talon with no problems and has been driving standard for 11-12 years solid now, so it's definately not her driving style. THe dealership tried to imply that and I cut the guy off at the knees when he started with that bs.

Anyway long story short, a demo is the Worst car to buy. When they give you a deal there is a specific reason for it. Because the car is a heep of shait.
986Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 04:53 AM   #31

I agree with 986Jim about long-term demo cars, but I don't think the abuse comes from the general public, it comes from the salesmen at the dealers. From what I have seen at most dealerships, these guys are on down the road in a few months anyway, so why should they give a crap about the demo cars.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 08:57 AM   #32

yeah, it was really funny how i went from 35k on the porsche and 8500 on the vw to 36,5 ("and we've called everywhere, we can't give you anymore, blah blah blah..."), still 8500 on the beetle, to okay 46k for both, to take the beetle out of the equation and we'll give you 38k for the porsche (you sell the beetle on your own - of course, i was like, uh, if i'm gonna do that, then i don't need a bmw!).

but, when they offered the 38k, i knew i had them (even though i wasn't really sure why they just kept trying to make this deal) and that they'd cave on 10k for the beetle. the other thing is, the salesman kept saying, the car has never been titled, you'd be the first one and that's big! i kept thinking, how is that big - do i get better gas prices?; is my insurance gonna care? will people move out of the left lane on the freeway? will my wife be hornier in the car? anyway, since the car was CPO, you'd figure even if it was beat to hell, you'd be covered.

at any rate, put an add up on autotrader for the vw - unlike ebay, which allows you to run a beautiful and detailed add, with autotrader you can basically say i have a car with an engine for sale, its silver and costs this much ... i had nightmares about all the phone calls and tire kickers last night - there was the guy who wanted me to throw in the shed on the side of my house, plus he wanted to trade an old commodore vic 20 computer and an old honda motorcycle that didn't run and oh yeah, he wouldn't pay a penny more then $5000!

maybe i'll luck out and this sale will go like that of a 99 red honda civic ex that i sold to a private party just before the 3 year lease expired. car was in beautiful condition and had that stupid big red honda factory spoiler on it (it was my wife's car and she picked it out). well, i had the ad out for a day or two and i get a call from some girl who sounds like she's 12 - she shows up that night with her dad. neither of them drove it - she just looked at and said, yup it's just like my other one (turns out the week before she wrecked her's by rear-ending a school bus). they didn't even haggle on price, she just said i want it dad and he said i'll bring the money tomorrow and i said, yeah baby i just made money on the sale of a lease car!!!! just don't think it'll be as easy with the beetle -

but who knows, maybe some star trek junky will see it and think, hmmmmm i'd be really cool if i showed up to the next dungeons and dragons all nighter in this car!!!! or, maybe the guy who knows about HPA motors in Canada will think, hmmm maybe i'll get this and invest the other $15k to make this beetle a ferrari eater with audi all wheel drive and a 495hp bi turbo vr6 that runs 0-60 on wet pavement in 3.8 seconds!!!!!!! yeah, obviously i considered that option before i got the porsche!

19" Carrera S Wheels
Schnell Short Shifter
De-Ambered

Old 05-29-2006, 05:42 PM   #33

It's really funny you should put it that way. The only guy I personally know that has a VW Beetle is my friend that works at a video game company, is into comics, sci-fi and dungeons and dragons, and keeps a Conan sword in the bud vase.

There's also this nerdy webcomic guy that has one.

BTW, Auto Trader didn't work very well when my sister tried to sell her Miata a while ago. Hardly any hits. What really worked for her was the San Diego Union Tribune classifieds. Holy crap, the phone rang off the hook.

Try your local classifieds!
Old 05-29-2006, 05:53 PM   #34

...you may also want to try Craig's List autos...a surprisingly large number of goods get sold off of there and you can list with OC, SD, LA.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 06:38 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD987
...you may also want to try Craig's List autos...a surprisingly large number of goods get sold off of there and you can list with OC, SD, LA.
good call! i always forget about that one.

19" Carrera S Wheels
Schnell Short Shifter
De-Ambered

Old 05-29-2006, 10:41 PM   #36

Another idea...

Hey Mach...

Here in Irvine, the local junior college, Irvine Valley College, holds a weekly Carfaire--

Drive your car there, park it for the day---- Friends of mine have bought and sold from it.

In fact, i was a bit skepical, but was talked into taking our old Chevy Suburban down there.... (i never thought that pig would sell) Lo & behold---got a phone call late in the day -- ran over to the lot and made a cash deal in about 45 minutes---

There may be one near you as well..... check it out!

RD

RONDOG

2005 987S
BLK/BLK
PASM
SPTS CHRONO +
PCM w NAV
19" CARRERA S

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...P4724Large.jpg
Rondog is offline   Reply With Quote