View Single Post
Old 05-25-2006, 10:24 AM   #1
mach schnell

What would you do...?

So, I have a couple of questions that might stir up a little debate, some good discussion and hopefully give me some useful information as I have to answer the question myself.

I need to go from two cars to one car - much to my dismay, it doesn't seem like there is a great market for a modified 2.0L VW Beetle - even selling it for what I owe and abandoning the goal of recovering even a tiny amount of what was invested into the car, may be a difficult task. Now, if I had all the time in the world, then maybe it would be an endeavor worth pursuing - but since I start my residency in one month (and much unlike what you see on Gray's Anatomy - residents don't get a ton of time to screw attendings and drink beer at the local tavern) - so, something needs to happen before the end of June. Here are some thinkings I've been thinking about.

I have equity in the Porsche. Remember, this was purchased by my wife and I intended as a "congrats for finishing a billion years of school/congrats on getting your top choice for residency!" So, even though it may sell easier than the VW and we'd pocket money (what we'll do with that $$ is coming up - stay tuned) I'd need to buy something else to justify its sale (makes sense, eh?!).

1. Sell or trade the Boxster, keep the VW as my daily driver (at least for a few more years) and buy a bike (probably a Ducati or RC51)

2. Trade both cars in (including the Porsche will help to cover the neg. equity in the VW) on something worthy of driving and achieving performance/luxury satisfaction (what would that be?)
2A. Used M3 (e.g., 2004 with 20k miles...) Still a couple years warranty, etc
2B. Used 911 (maybe early 2000) - problem, though - no warranty so hard hit if mechanical problems coupled with routine maintenance costs ...
2C. 06 Infiniti G35 coupe - nice performance, reliability, warranty, luxury, boredom factor in a few years, though.
2D. 06 Mini Cooper S with the whole tuning pkg - fun, less boredom factor then Infiniti - performance, not sure?
2E. 06 Subaru WRX loaded with all the Subaru performance parts - performance, non-luxury and who am i - high school student or doctor?! Although a friend who is an ER resident in MI bought one (great place to have all wheel drive) and he constantly ranted about how he spent less and had more performance (and traction) than many of his attendings with their bimmers and porsches! Not sure I have his mindset though.
2F. 05 330ci all blacked out - low mileage, but it's automatic
2G. 05 MBc230 Red and 5 spd - super price - luxury and mild performance? every other car in soCal.

Not much interested in going to an older Boxster (like the style of the 987 and if let go of boxster would opt for something with 4 seats, thus why not considering 350Z or S2000) Not entirely crazy about sport sedans (MB has a reasonable price, Lexus IS see em everywhere!) The bike is a fun option - I miss my old crotchrocket and with these crazy ass gas prices, I'd hold on to a little more disposable cash. Not too mention, maybe a new car in a few years, plus retaining the bike (equity in the Porsche would easily buy the bike)

So, what would you do? (Oh, yeah, you can choose as your answer, 'Gee, I've been dying for a VW Beetle - I'll buy it!!!)
Japanese Rising Sun roof graphic
De-ambered and nearly de-chromed!

Sold - 05 BMW 330CI ZHP M-tuned
Imola Red, 6spd, Alcantra & Carbon Fiber Interior

Sold - 05 Boxster Black/Black 5spd
19" Carrera S Wheels
Bose Audio System/Sport Chrono Pkg
Schnell Short Shifter
Yellow Calipers c/ carbon fiber Porsche lettering
De-Ambered

Sold - 03 VW Beetle Silver - way too modified!
mach schnell is offline   Reply With Quote