Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2016, 04:12 AM   #1

Considering buying a Boxster

So I am a long time BMW and Lexus owner that is seriously considering a gently used, low mileage 2014 or 2015 Boxster or Boxster S and would like your opinions to educate me on this car. I had a 2002 Lexus Sc430 convertible that I enjoyed and pampered for 14 years until recently selling it.

I love the look of the Boxster and would not mind "upping my game" when it comes to performance HOWEVER, I am not looking for a race car and a ride I feel every pebble I run over. I'd like a reasonable balance.

So I'm thinking Boxster or Boxster S, 2014-2015 vintage, low miles.

So my questions are:

1) Is there a significant difference between the 2014 and 2015 that I need to consider?

2). Are there options, that are must have to ensure a smoother ride vs a performance ride? I will be getting the PDK automatic Transmission. Things like 19 inch vs 20 inch wheels?? PASM?? Other thoughts?

3). How is cabin noise with the soft top up? Any difference between 2014-15?

4). How is noise and wind with top down?

5). Any other options to look for that this car should have??

Your thoughts and insight much appreciated!

Azsunset99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 04:37 AM   #2
I am my own mechanic....

Most of us on this site own cars made between 1998 and 2004. There are forums for newer cars I'm sure.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 05:58 AM   #3
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
+1 with Timco. Your answers are probably available via Youtube. There must/might be a few 2015 models still available at dealers? Maybe some CPO 14 and 15"s are available also? Happy hunting.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:05 AM   #4

Garage
If you buy a convertible, make sure you buy sunblock.

And then, don't leave the sunblock at home when you go on a trip on a sunny weekend.

And then, don't think you'll be fine to drive an hour on the expressway home with the top down without sunblock and then get stuck in traffic and spend three hours getting home instead of one.

In case, you haven't figured it out, I look like a lobster right now and my brain is mush.
CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 01:04 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoBeerToad View Post
In case, you haven't figured it out, I look like a lobster right now and my brain is mush.
Ok finish the story
What happend to you sitting in the sun so long?
kk2002s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 01:37 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2002s View Post
Ok finish the story
What happend to you sitting in the sun so long?
Probably chicago traffic. Happens way too often for way too little reason.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 01:47 PM   #7

Opt for the lobster interior.
Tcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 03:56 PM   #8

Good tips. But okay stupid question. If u are stuck in traffic and the sun is beating down and you don't have sunblock. Why not put the top up?
Old 05-23-2016, 07:28 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myoung73 View Post
Why not put the top up?

Blasphemy. The beautiful woman to your right needs her tan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 04:16 AM   #10

Garage
You'll Like the 981

AZ, consider looking from 2013 to 2015. The Boxster changed from the 987 model (2005-2012 MY) to the 981 in model year 2013. Essentially, the 2013-2016 cars are the same save for colors and options. You should be able to find a nice selection of low mile, Porsche Certified Pre-owned, low mile 981s as many are currently coming off lease. A quick search of the Porsche CPO web site returned 25 PDK 981s for under $50K with less than 20K miles. I purchased a 2013 Boxster S in March after a watching the market for several months. I’ve loved the car so far and have put over 3000 miles on it in the 2 months I’ve had it.

1) Is there a significant difference between the 2014 and 2015 that I need to consider?
- No, with the exception of certain colors and maybe a few select options, the 2013-2016 model year cars are the same.

2). Are there options, that are must have to ensure a smoother ride vs a performance ride? I will be getting the PDK automatic Transmission. Things like 19 - inch vs 20 inch wheels?? PASM?? Other thoughts?
- Sounds like your preference is smoother ride and not a performance ride. Look for a car with the standard suspension, not the sport suspension option. Also, don’t bother with PASM, it’s a waste if you don’t want the performance advantage it provides. I have 20” wheels on my car and I think it rides comfortably, but I would think the 19”s would ride softer due to the extra tire side wall.

3). How is cabin noise with the soft top up? Any difference between 2014-15?
- The cabin noise is not bad at all with the top up and all the 981s (MY 2013-2016) are the same from this perspective. It’s not as quiet as a hard top, but the lining in the soft top does a very good job of dampening the sound.

4). How is noise and wind with top down?
- Wind noise with the top down is not to bad compared to other convertibles I’ve driven. With the top down and the windows up, I can carry on a conversation with the cars Bluetooth phone at 70 mph.

5). Any other options to look for that this car should have?
- If you’re after comfort/luxury, opt for the natural leather interior or at least the leather trim. Also, the Bose PCM is a nice upgrade from the standard stereo. Power memory seats are also a nice to have as are seat heaters and seat ventilation. The thing to remember about Porsche is that many options are available standalone and many cars are custom ordered so there can be a great deal of variation in cars. However, there are some standard packages. The Convenience Package gives you the wind deflector, 2 zone A/C and seat heaters. The Premium Package adds auto dimming mirrors, power memory seats, and better headlights.

I hope this helps some. I’m really enjoying my 981. It is easy going and comfortable around town in regular driving, but when I want to give her the whip, she responds brilliantly. It’s like having two cars in one. The best advice I can give is go drive one.
Atomicblue99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:31 AM   #11

Garage
I do want to warn you. The boxster and solara are on total opposite ends of the convertible spectrum. Not that a boxster will be too harsh or you'll feel every bump, they are made more luxurious these days than they used to. However these are very very capable cars and if you are just looking for something luxurious that looks nice I would suggest maybe looking at a Mercedes slk or now known as slc. A boxster is far my practical and drivable than the equivalent Ferrari but it's not a Toyota either.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:17 AM   #12

AZ,

Chandler Porsche has two used 981s right now. One is a Guards Red S with a 6 speed and the other is a Carmine Red GTS with a PDK. I am sure Porsche Scottsdale will have one or two in stock. Nothing beats checking out the car in person and talking to a sales person that's passionate about the car and is a fountain of knowledge to can speak to your needs. We have a long weekend coming up so go and check out the cars in person.

BTW the Solara = cushy convertible for the older lady that has too many cats AS you can tell I'm not a fan but I like cars that I drive versus cars that provide little in driving experience. To each their though.

Good luck and enjoy the hunt.

89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote