Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2016, 04:04 AM   #1

Exterior Door Handle Won't Retract Back

I have the problem where the exterior door handle doesn't automatically retract back in.
Can't find any help through a search.

I have looked at some pictures of the mechanism and there looks like a barrel type spring that probably does the return action.

As also mentioned by previous contributors I have poor experience of removing door panels on other cars so before I rip this one off I was wondering what replaceable parts are available?

If it is the spring, is it removable and am I able to get a replacement or is it going to be an entire colour coded handle mechanism?

RichRobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 07:20 AM   #2

The inner door handle spring is replaceable, don't know about the outer handle. You might be able to learn by checking out the door handle articles at 101projects.com and maybe by looking at the parts diagrams at ********************************************.com
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 08:38 AM   #3
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Return spring:
996-537-611-00 (left)
996-537-612-00 (right)

Lists at $9.80 from the dealer, $8.71 from http://www.************************************************************************.com
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 11:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserion View Post
Return spring:
996-537-611-00 (left)
996-537-612-00 (right)

Lists at $9.80 from the dealer, $8.71 from http://www.************************************************************************.com
Great help, thanks very much.
I did check the photo from 101Projects first where I was able to see the spring. Highly recommend the book.

You guys in the USA seem to have so many better options for parts than us in the UK.

Looks like I will be 'tearing' down the door panel in the very near future.
Old 05-21-2016, 05:53 AM   #5

I have now got the replacement spring and dismantled the door handle but with a problem.

The rod holding the spring mechanism is stuck solid, I guess with corrosion and I can't slide it out. I guess there was nothing much wrong with the original spring.

You can see the metal rod in the photos.

Apart from soaking it with WD40 and very lightly tapping the end does anyone have any further suggestions? I can't rotate it with grips and as it is just about all made from plastic I can't see heat is an option.

I will leave it overnight and see if the WD40 penetrates but I'm not holding out much hope as there is no free movement at all.

Old 05-21-2016, 07:26 AM   #6

Try Kroll...its a better penetrating oil than WD40.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
Try Kroll...its a better penetrating oil than WD40.
Not an oil that is available in the UK as far as I know.
Used a very sharp blade to work a gap between the nylon / plastic moving parts to help it soak through
I will leave it a few hours and hope.
Old 05-22-2016, 04:56 AM   #8

To update

The soak worked but I think the best thing I did was use the sharpest thinnest blade to work the gaps in the parts butted together to allow the oil in.
Gripped the rod in the middle as tight as I could with locking pliers and was able to rotate the rod eventually.
Clamped them to the end and was able to rotate and pull at the same time. Tapping the end with a hammer was never going to work and would eventually break something.
All greased up with new spring and ready to install.