Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2016, 03:00 AM   #1
2000 Boxster S

[00 986 S] Weird sound right front wheel arch

Hi Guys,

cheers from Italy.

Sometimes I hear I strange intermittent sound coming from the right front wheel arch of my 986 S. Only if I drive the car for more than 30 minutes can it be heard.

I attach an audio file: at the beginning of it, I'm standing behind the car; towards the end of it, I'm approaching the source of the sound; right at the end, I'm holding the mic under the wheel arch.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/73239086/VN-20150315-202426.m4a

Thanks in advance for any advice and sorry for my English.

G.

Last edited by Gorthaur; 05-01-2016 at 03:01 AM. Reason: mispelling!
Gorthaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 03:31 AM   #2

Hello Gothaur,

never heard such an intermittend sound from a Boxster.

Sounds like it's caused by pressure / under pressure.

Could you please open the filler flap and check if the noise comes from the filler cap. There is also a valve beside the filler pipe that can cause noises.

If the noise is coming from a different place, could you please check if there is a difference when the front wheels are straight or the front wheels turned in fully. So maybe it could be caused by the steering pump.

Maybe also open the front trunk and check if you can locate the noise better then.

Thanks and regards
Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 05:43 AM   #3
2000 Boxster S

Thanks Markus!

As far as I can remember, everytime I noticed that sound, the wheels were turned completely (or almost).

I've never checked inside the frunk since the sound seemed to be coming from underneath the wheel arch... this being said, next time I hear it I will surely do that as well!

Isn't the steering pump behind the seats?
Old 05-01-2016, 07:06 AM   #4

Hello Gothaur,

thanks for you question. You're right, the steering pump sits behind the seats. There is a word missing. I've meant steering pump system. Sorry, English isn't also my first language – i'm from Germany.

The hydraulic steering gear box is located in the lower front. There are some valves in there that can do noises. See attached photo.

On the right front side there is also the brake booster. If you open the frunk you should hear if it's coming from there. Intermittent interval could maybe be caused by the ABS system checking pressure. But in general this should lead to a warn signal.

Did you put the car on a diagnosis system and check it for error codes?

Regards, Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 12:33 PM   #5
2000 Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallblock454 View Post
Hello Gothaur,

On the right front side there is also the brake booster. If you open the frunk you should hear if it's coming from there. Intermittent interval could maybe be caused by the ABS system checking pressure. But in general this should lead to a warn signal.

Did you put the car on a diagnosis system and check it for error codes?

Regards, Markus
Thanks Markus: next time I hear it, I will follow your suggestions.

No, not recently at least, but I will in 10-15 days.

Cheers!
Old 05-05-2016, 10:12 AM   #6
2000 Boxster S

After a 150 km highway drive, once the car was about to be left in the garage, the sound was there. The wheels weren't turned at all. I opened the frunk and... it went away! So I closed the frunk. After a few minutes (engine still running) it did it again, just once (straight wheels), and then disappeared.

Alongside this issue, if I drive the car for more than a little (just to have it warmed up), I hear a clunking/knocking noise coming from the steering column, like something has got loose. I feel something even through the clutch pedal and the steering wheel. At low speeds (10-15 km/h) it's very, very clear, particularly when the surface isn't perfectly even. It does it more going downhill than uphill. It sounds like CLO-CLO-CLO-CLO-CLO.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:57 PM   #7

This is a common failure, caused by one of the valves in the evap system. Check this thread for part nos.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/33970-strange-whistling-sound/

Second one sounds like a wheel bearing going bad.
specboxCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 02:10 PM   #8
2000 Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by specboxCO View Post
This is a common failure, caused by one of the valves in the evap system. Check this thread for part nos.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/33970-strange-whistling-sound/

Second one sounds like a wheel bearing going bad.
Thanks mate!

With regard to the second one: if it were a wheel bearing, would you feel anything through the pedals and steering wheel?