Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2016, 09:19 AM   #1

Garage
Adding a self contained powered sub. Will it fit?

I've had the 2001S for a month. So far, I've replaced the headlight swithc, igntion switch, brakes, coolant, plugs, belts, front motor mount and repainted the aluminum interior parts and cleared to make like new.
I've started on the stereo, installed 3.5's up front and new 5.25's in the doors, I took apart the back storage to add rear speakers, 2 4ohm 3.5's in parallel. Have not replaced stock haes 4x40. So, I'm waiting on the arrival of my 3.5's to continue.

Today I started thinking about subs and I found this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avs1EXZ3FmA

I'm not expecting the world with performance but I'm wondering if this will fit in my passenger kick panel or under passenger seat. Anyone have experience with these slim amp/sub's? Any advice would be great.

I'm looking at work and the car's at home so I'm shooting these here before I even measure the kick panel or underseat room. BTW, my car has power seats with lumbar.

Thanks,

Chaiyz

Old 04-21-2016, 10:24 AM   #2
On the slippery slope

Garage
I have been thinking of putting a powered sub under the passenger seat for a while. The problem is finding one that will fit. From what I can tell, there is a powered sub from a Subaru that will fit.

For me a footwell or behind the seat sub won't work as I often have a passenger and losing several inchesof legroom is not an option
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 11:06 AM   #3

Garage
But have you looked at the sub I posted above? It's only 3" deep with the full enclosure. It shouldn't be in the way in the footwell. At least, that's where I want to put it. Hoping someone here has done it and can shed some light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
I have been thinking of putting a powered sub under the passenger seat for a while. The problem is finding one that will fit. From what I can tell, there is a powered sub from a Subaru that will fit.

For me a footwell or behind the seat sub won't work as I often have a passenger and losing several inchesof legroom is not an option
Old 04-21-2016, 02:37 PM   #4
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaiyz View Post
But have you looked at the sub I posted above? It's only 3" deep with the full enclosure. It shouldn't be in the way in the footwell. At least, that's where I want to put it. Hoping someone here has done it and can shed some light.
Yea, its still 3" of legroom removed.
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 03:13 PM   #5
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Some have installed either that sub, or something very similar, behind the passenger seat.

My box is an 8" Kicker, 5 inches thick at the fat end and 3 at the thin end. It sits on the side of the passenger footwell and only slightly restricts side to side leg movement (no length lost).
I'd rather have it hidden, but being black, it blends in well and just hasn't been a priority.

Old pictures...

Old 04-26-2016, 06:34 AM   #6

Active sub in tight space

This is my hidden active sub under the carpet & passenger foot. Only 2.8'' deep. Great sound!

Upgrades so far: 4 Stalks installed,OBC, Cruise Control, Variable wipers, Rear speakers, Alpine CDEHD149BT deck, Alpine MRP-F250 4 ch. amplifier, Blaupunkt THb 200A pre-amplified subwoofer, XM radio integration, 997 shifter, front motor mount, LN Engineering IMS upgrade and much more.
tolum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:01 AM   #7

For those that put the amp/sub in the front - how is the vibration? If you have a passenger in the seat - are they getting a strong vibration from the floor or the seat (depending on where the sub is). Any feedback? I'm looking at putting one of these in somewhere and hope due to the small size they aren't causing much vibration....but I'd like my passengers to be comfortable.
Thanks
Old 04-26-2016, 10:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giller View Post
For those that put the amp/sub in the front - how is the vibration? If you have a passenger in the seat - are they getting a strong vibration from the floor or the seat (depending on where the sub is). Any feedback? I'm looking at putting one of these in somewhere and hope due to the small size they aren't causing much vibration....but I'd like my passengers to be comfortable.
Thanks
Not much vibrations on my side. My wife is not complaining at all.
Upgrades so far: 4 Stalks installed,OBC, Cruise Control, Variable wipers, Rear speakers, Alpine CDEHD149BT deck, Alpine MRP-F250 4 ch. amplifier, Blaupunkt THb 200A pre-amplified subwoofer, XM radio integration, 997 shifter, front motor mount, LN Engineering IMS upgrade and much more.
tolum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:31 AM   #9
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Never a complaint from any of my passengers.