986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Adding a self contained powered sub. Will it fit? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/61323-adding-self-contained-powered-sub-will-fit.html)

chaiyz 04-21-2016 10:19 AM

Adding a self contained powered sub. Will it fit?
 
I've had the 2001S for a month. So far, I've replaced the headlight swithc, igntion switch, brakes, coolant, plugs, belts, front motor mount and repainted the aluminum interior parts and cleared to make like new.
I've started on the stereo, installed 3.5's up front and new 5.25's in the doors, I took apart the back storage to add rear speakers, 2 4ohm 3.5's in parallel. Have not replaced stock haes 4x40. So, I'm waiting on the arrival of my 3.5's to continue.

Today I started thinking about subs and I found this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avs1EXZ3FmA

I'm not expecting the world with performance but I'm wondering if this will fit in my passenger kick panel or under passenger seat. Anyone have experience with these slim amp/sub's? Any advice would be great.

I'm looking at work and the car's at home so I'm shooting these here before I even measure the kick panel or underseat room. BTW, my car has power seats with lumbar.

Thanks,

Chaiyz

JayG 04-21-2016 11:24 AM

I have been thinking of putting a powered sub under the passenger seat for a while. The problem is finding one that will fit. From what I can tell, there is a powered sub from a Subaru that will fit.

For me a footwell or behind the seat sub won't work as I often have a passenger and losing several inchesof legroom is not an option

chaiyz 04-21-2016 12:06 PM

But have you looked at the sub I posted above? It's only 3" deep with the full enclosure. It shouldn't be in the way in the footwell. At least, that's where I want to put it. Hoping someone here has done it and can shed some light.



Quote:

Originally Posted by JayG (Post 492675)
I have been thinking of putting a powered sub under the passenger seat for a while. The problem is finding one that will fit. From what I can tell, there is a powered sub from a Subaru that will fit.

For me a footwell or behind the seat sub won't work as I often have a passenger and losing several inchesof legroom is not an option


JayG 04-21-2016 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaiyz (Post 492684)
But have you looked at the sub I posted above? It's only 3" deep with the full enclosure. It shouldn't be in the way in the footwell. At least, that's where I want to put it. Hoping someone here has done it and can shed some light.

Yea, its still 3" of legroom removed.

particlewave 04-21-2016 04:13 PM

Some have installed either that sub, or something very similar, behind the passenger seat.

My box is an 8" Kicker, 5 inches thick at the fat end and 3 at the thin end. It sits on the side of the passenger footwell and only slightly restricts side to side leg movement (no length lost).
I'd rather have it hidden, but being black, it blends in well and just hasn't been a priority.

Old pictures...

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1461280383.jpg
http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1461280411.jpg

tolum 04-26-2016 07:34 AM

Active sub in tight space
 
This is my hidden active sub under the carpet & passenger foot. Only 2.8'' deep. Great sound!

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1461681194.jpg
http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1461681213.jpg

Giller 04-26-2016 11:01 AM

For those that put the amp/sub in the front - how is the vibration? If you have a passenger in the seat - are they getting a strong vibration from the floor or the seat (depending on where the sub is). Any feedback? I'm looking at putting one of these in somewhere and hope due to the small size they aren't causing much vibration....but I'd like my passengers to be comfortable.
Thanks

tolum 04-26-2016 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giller (Post 493381)
For those that put the amp/sub in the front - how is the vibration? If you have a passenger in the seat - are they getting a strong vibration from the floor or the seat (depending on where the sub is). Any feedback? I'm looking at putting one of these in somewhere and hope due to the small size they aren't causing much vibration....but I'd like my passengers to be comfortable.
Thanks

Not much vibrations on my side. My wife is not complaining at all.

particlewave 04-26-2016 11:31 AM

Never a complaint from any of my passengers. ;)


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:26 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website