Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2016, 07:43 AM   #21

Thank you Marcus, I did something in the car this morning, I pull up the valve like I follow some instructions in the forum. And I started the car the water start boil immediately and the water coming down the bottle before the car heated like before 100oc. Usually the water came when the car is really hot like 190oc. Is that a problem guys??
Can you tell me how to put all the water out from the tank? Because I think I have used a bad water Motomaster and I don't see 50/50 on it.

Hodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:23 AM   #22
2 fast 4 U

DO NOT get the cheap after market one. I made the same mistake and ended up changing the tank 3 times because the first 2 were crap. They can't hold pressure and leaking.
The only think that came out of me buying that crappy tank is that now I can replace one in just over an hour.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:37 AM   #23

I will return the aftermarket one and buy the genuine one.
Old 04-15-2016, 12:16 PM   #24

You didn't really put Motomaster coolant in your Porsche, did you? You have to use Porsche coolant, and you have to dilute it 50/50 with DISTILLED water before putting it in!

There's a pretty good chance you've made a real mess of things and will now have to get a complete coolant flush done in addition to changing the coolant tank. You should definitely not drive the car until you have determined whether or not you have created a coolant gelling problem.

Sorry, but you really don't seem to have the faintest clue as to what you are doing and should really get the car to a qualified mechanic to fix this problem for you before you do some serious damage.

Last edited by Mark_T; 04-15-2016 at 12:22 PM.
Mark_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 12:34 PM   #25

Coolant fluid: Porsche uses Glysantin G40 for 986 cars: G40® | Glysantin®

Here is the Glysatin G40 data sheet: http://www.glysantin.de/fileadmin/Files/Downloads/Technical_DS/technisches_datenblatt_g40_eng.pdf

Please note that there are some aftermarket manufacturers that make the same product. But i don't know availabilty in the US/Canada. So you have to do research yourself.

Couldn't find a detailed specification about the Motomaster coolant fluid: MotoMaster Long-life Premixed Antifreeze/Coolant | Canadian Tire but i'm pretty shure it's not compatible with the special G40. So i would recommend not to drive the car until you have the reservoir replaced. Also you have to flush the complete system now. Sorry for the bad news.

@ Mark_T: The fluid he used is premixed. Take a look at the label.

Regards, Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 12:51 PM   #26

I think it's really a bad news!!! I drove the car last year from May until November with the Motomaster fluid coolant. I didn't know if I shouldn't put it. but I'm not gonna drive it until I change the tank and flush the system like you said guys. It still running great then, It's my first Porshe.
Thank you guys
Old 04-15-2016, 01:10 PM   #27

Do u have an idea how much to flush the complete system?
Old 04-15-2016, 01:44 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallblock454 View Post
@ Mark_T: The fluid he used is premixed. Take a look at the label.
I know, but the Porsche coolant isn't.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:18 PM   #29

I think it's 22.5 litres, but i can be wrong.

Just take a look in your owners manual. There you'll find the amount of coolant fluid you need. Also you find the recommended brand and type of coolant fluid for your car and model year.

Please also inform yourself about how to flush the system and refill it. A negative pressure system is highly recommended to do the refill, to prevent air bubbles in the coolant and engine system.

Regards, Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 02:49 PM   #30

If you are going to do a coolant tank and a complete system flush, it would be a good idea to replace the water pump and thermostat at the same time, especially if they are original.

Also, you should get a new sensor and the upgraded cap for the coolant tank.

If you don't have the knowledge and tools to do all this work, your best bet is to let the dealer do the whole job. Probably around $1500 for everything.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:14 PM   #31

Thank you but I'm not sure I will flush the complete system because the car had the good original Porsche coolant fluid before I added some Motomaster when the tank started leaking! I think I put some of them a few times and the car still running great. I'm just gonna change the reservoir tank with et new cap and add the original fluid coolant in it. What do you think???