Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2016, 05:36 PM   #1

Coolant system filling and bleeding

I do not have a leak, I replaced water pump recently. Question is, for refilling and bleeding according to the Bentley book I will need to get the rpms up to 2.5 Roma until coolant thermostat opens to make sure engine is fully warmed up. After rev up to 5k every 30 seconds. Can I do this driving around town instead of sitting my driveway? I figure do this, pull over and remove cap and top off as necessary and then do again. I am then suppose to intermittently rev engine to 5k for five minutes. WhAt does intermittent in this case mean? Thanks

DWBOX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:35 PM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
From what I have read there are three ways to refill the coolant.
-Refill with a tool like a Uview Airlift (Best solution)
-Refill normally and then leave the bleeder valve open for a few days (works okay, may dump some coolant from the overflow)
-Refill normally and then do the series of rev's described in the Bentley Manual (described here)

Here is a link to a good thread on RennTech regarding this:
http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/32107-bleeding-air-in-radiator/

The revving bleed process is meant to be done while stationary, but it takes a while. You do not want to remove the coolant cap when the car is running or warmed up. If you realize the coolant level is low, wait for the coolant to cool down before removing the cap and topping off. I personally used an Airlift (about $100) then left the bleeder valve open for 2 days, I had zero issues. A local auto parts store may rent the Airlift or something similar. Best of luck!

Last edited by rick3000; 04-10-2016 at 08:39 PM.
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:24 AM   #3
still plays with cars...

Garage
+1 on rick's method.
Zero problems using a borrowed uView.
I left the bleeder up for a couple of heat cycles, but it proved to be unnecessary. The tank level didn't drop afterward, showing I had zero air in the system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000 View Post
From what I have read there are three ways to refill the coolant.
-Refill with a tool like a Uview Airlift (Best solution)
-Refill normally and then leave the bleeder valve open for a few days (works okay, may dump some coolant from the overflow)
-Refill normally and then do the series of rev's described in the Bentley Manual (described here)

Here is a link to a good thread on RennTech regarding this:
http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/32107-bleeding-air-in-radiator/

The revving bleed process is meant to be done while stationary, but it takes a while. You do not want to remove the coolant cap when the car is running or warmed up. If you realize the coolant level is low, wait for the coolant to cool down before removing the cap and topping off. I personally used an Airlift (about $100) then left the bleeder valve open for 2 days, I had zero issues. A local auto parts store may rent the Airlift or something similar. Best of luck!
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 02:50 AM   #4

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.
David
Old 04-11-2016, 03:56 AM   #5
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I have replaced radiators and flushed coolant a few times without using an Air Lift. I followed the proceedure from the Bentley you outlined through a full warm up, then some revs to about 5k rpm. (don't hold the 5k rpm) After it cooled and was topped back off, I drove it around for a couple days with the bleeder valve open and a gallon of distilled water in the trunk. Once or twice the level dropped significantly or put some coolant out the overflow and I just topped it off.

I was just in your home town on Saturday. Looked for a Boxster as I drove around, but no sightings the whole time I was in Mass.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:36 AM   #6
I am my own mechanic....

When I did my WP I just jacked the rear. Then refill with rear in the air. No air it seemed.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 05:46 AM   #7

Garage
I used UVeiw but still needed Nose Down, a few drive cycles with Purge up

Question on the Purge Valve behavour ????
I've had it in the non-purge (Latch NOT holding it up) for a few drives, I still have the cover off. I notice the plunger seems to move up a bit after a drive. Then when it cools, the plunger retracts.
Is this normal???
I replaced tank this past December
The car is running much cooler than before WP, low temp Thermo, Flush.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:01 AM   #8

Garage
I bought a Uview thingy and never used it resold on ebay. twice I have worked on coolant system and did the burping. Fill the car while cold. start it up and just run it with the cap off refill and your done. you may want to buy a new cap and make sure you put it on tightly when done. not very difficult. I have a 99. Replaced thermostat and waterpump. following year I added 3rd radiator.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:43 PM   #9

78F350, hopefully you made it down to the habba, uh, harbor. Beautiful all year.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:36 PM   #10
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWBOX2000 View Post
78F350, hopefully you made it down to the habba, uh, harbor. Beautiful all year.
Beautiful if you're into that quaint seacoast, rocky shore, fishing boat, and light housey kind of stuff.

Saturday:

I love Oklahoma, but I do miss the coast in the off-season.

Here's a pic from 1985 or so on the other side of the habba, back when I was salty:

I threw a 1968 1300 VW engine off that dock after replacing it with a 1600. Wonder if it's still down there.

Last edited by 78F350; 04-12-2016 at 06:22 AM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:06 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Here's a pic from 1985 or so on the other side of the habba, back when I was salty:

I threw a 1968 1300 VW engine off that dock after replacing it with a 1600. Wonder if it's still down there.
Those Coast Guard boats remind me of being "Rescued" on Lake Ontario in a Sailboat in the Fog at night .

I had no issues with it and was following a compass heading away from shore about 2 hours out from port, in dead calm conditions. No worries for me.

My then wife freaked out in a thick fog bank as we were puttering along at 4 knots under motor after dark.
She had a full on panic attack about the fog and nothing I could say would calm her.

Next thing I know she is on the radio calling "May-Day" (Other sailors will know the serious nature of that kind of call vs Pan-Pan) and then the Coast Guard shows up to guide us in. Every time she lost sight of the Coast Guard boat for a couple seconds she started getting panicked again.

Some folks don't do well in the fog...claustrophobic maybe.

Ahhhh the fond memories of adventures and Ex Wives

Was anyone fastened to that VW engine
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 04-12-2016 at 06:09 AM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:23 AM   #12

Yeah, if your into that kind of stuff, I have been asking my wife to move to western PA for years. She loves the coast, I love space. Obviously she is winning this argument. Happy wife, happy life.
Thanks for the picture. Very cool.