Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2016, 06:54 AM   #1

Exclamation Porsche Boxster Running Woes

My girlfriend's father recently bought a 2002 Porsche Boxster S and is having issues getting to run properly. The car has 23,xxx miles on it. Since getting it, it has not started happily.

Symptoms-
Takes forever to start and when it does start it misfires on all cylinders-
Codes read Misfire on cylinder 2,4,5,6 and random misfire- that clears up after running for a couple of minutes.
After a couple of minutes I can erase all codes and it will run fine from there on out.

What he has done-
Replaced coils and plugs on each cylinder
Replaced all fuel injectors
Replaced Crank Position Sensor
Had ECU tested

Once warm it starts and runs fine.

Thanks

TheFonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 07:01 AM   #2
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Fuel pressure?

Ignition Switch?
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:39 AM   #3

Garage
This sounds like it could be a multitude of things. I'd check the fuel pressure with a gauge you can rent from autozone. If your fuel pressure is good at startup, then you can move on. Fuel, Air, Spark. You've replaced plugs and coils so all should be good there...checking to make sure they ohm out and pulling them with the fuel pump fuse pulled to check for spark would make doubly sure you are good there. The only other variable is air.

I'm going to guess you may have a vacuum leak somewhere. It's possible that its an issue when its cold and when it expands as it gets hot the vacuum leak fixes itself. Doing a smoke test to check for leaks is the best way to identify where the possible leaks could be at. Search this site for vacuum leak and you should find the common ones. A smoke test would at least rule that out and you could move on to other air related issues like the MAF or O2 sensors that could possibly be playing a part in this.

Hopefully JFP or someone that does this for a living can weigh in, but in my shade tree mechanic role, I'd be willing to bet it relates to air and is likely something along the vacuum lines based on the fact it goes away when it gets warm.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:28 AM   #4

I had similar symptoms on a Volvo V50 and it turned out to be the Fuel Pressure Regulator. Once replaced it ran great.
njbray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:31 AM   #5

This is a long shot...have you tried pulling the MAF?

Need_for_speed is offline   Reply With Quote