Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2016, 11:02 AM   #1
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Just ordered Model 3...

...it is not?? DAYUM
Have to drive that one instead

P.S.: Model 3 looks cool though...except of that mega iPad. Would prefer that...

Old 04-01-2016, 11:28 AM   #2

Garage
I could not at all get on board with the model 3 interior. I can't even think of words to describe it.

Electric mobility with a company like tesla for the price is awesome, but I am really disappointed with what I have seen of the interior which I'm assuming is where the money savings comes from.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 02:59 PM   #3

The Model 3 is certainly not a driver's car being that there are no gauges/instrument directly in front of the driver. One step closer to an appliance like transportation pod. Remove the steering wheel and the two pedals and it's complete.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 03:03 PM   #4

First, totally not sold on the whole hybrid/electric car yet. They never get the mileage advertised and batteries are very inefficient at this point. Still think hydrogen is the way of the far off future.
Besides, it's not an especially nice looking car, but to each their own.
Best of luck.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:42 PM   #5
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I am honestly shocked by the Model 3 pre-orders.

I can't believe over 200k people put down a $1k deposit for a car sight unseen, that is 2 years away from the expected delivery date (late 2017), from a company that is notorious for production issues/delays. The Model X was delayed 18 months. Tesla made just over 50k cars last year, if they can successfully ramp production by over four times without issues and at the pre-order price I will be amazed. Don't get me wrong, I am sure it is a great car, but I think the hype and pre-orders could actually be hugely problematic for Tesla as a company.

I'm sure it will be a great car ... in 2018.
Old 04-01-2016, 05:23 PM   #6

As a dude who enjoys cruising the 'hood in his electric golf cart, I'd try the Model 3 in a heartbeat. Its a great looking car with a very usable, everyday range.

Some of the pre-orders are speculation, like condo pre-construction sales which allows people to sell their contract, or place in line, if demand is high. If lack of demand, get your money back with no risk.

All that being said, I'd be in if I didn't have three boys currently in college! No new(er) cars for me for awhile.

My oldest Son's boss in Orlando has a Model S. My Son is a 'car guy' through and through. My Son absolutely gushes about the Tesla.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:47 PM   #7
Certified Boxster Addict

Good luck. Hope the 3 is better than the S.

From Consumer Reports;
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:28 PM   #8

There is NO WAY I would buy that car. Nothing against the EV, nothing against Tesla, I just can't get around these iPads that manufacturers are putting on dashboards. I was all in on the new C Class until I say the dash. Same with the new Mazdas. When they go back to putting the infotainment and HVAC INTO the dash instead of sticking out of it, I will start to look at your product again.

Plus I do not like the front 1980's kit car look of the nose on the Model 3.
gomarlins3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:01 PM   #9
I am my own mechanic....

Driver and passenger must not commingle.

Looks like one of those old foot messagers. Just fill the bays with water.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 04:40 AM   #10

Garage
Just ordered Model 3...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Good luck. Hope the 3 is better than the S.

From Consumer Reports;

It doesn't help that the four cars on the top of that list are the same. That's like when car and driver was taking up two spots on the 10 best for boxster and Cayman.

Consumer reports is hard to trust at this point, it seems a large part of it has to do with infotainment these days which is a feature I personally would delete for money back if I could lol.
Old 04-02-2016, 05:29 AM   #11

That graph is missing some information to make it useful.
alm001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 06:38 AM   #12

When I first bought my Ipad, it lasted days and days between charges....now it barely lasts a day with less use than when new.

Electric cars use similar batteries and assume the same will happen? When you first get it, you can get to work no prob, then a few years down the road, you will have to stop and recharge.

Batteries will eventually have to be replaced....those are nasty to dispose of.

The concept of a 'clean' electric car still does not exist.
Old 04-02-2016, 06:48 AM   #13

Garage
@giller the leaf has a major problem with batteries. It has hurt resale value majorly because they are worth nearly nothing used due to ever decreasing range.

Now tesla has proven years ago that the cars are designed to do battery swaps in the less time then it takes to pump gas for a normal car.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:51 AM   #14
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
Consumer reports is hard to trust at this point, it seems a large part of it has to do with infotainment these days which is a feature I personally would delete for money back if I could lol.
Its not just Consumer Reports and its not just infotainment...

Report: Two-Thirds Of Early Tesla Model S Drivetrains May Fail By 60,000 Miles

All I'm saying is that I hope that Tesla has rolled the lessons learned from the Model S into the Model 3. Only time will tell.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 04-02-2016 at 10:54 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 06:38 PM   #15

Garage
This is growing on me... But in slate metallic gray.

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 06:39 PM   #16

Ok, let me get this straight....
We wouldn't consider a Tesla because of reliability but drive a car that had its manufacturer lose a case over having installed a time bomb in its cars for 7 years?

iPad doesn't hold a charge like it used to so lithium batteries are 'bad'? First off, we have 8 iPads, from first generation through iPad air 2. Battery life has remained consistent. If I do need a new battery I'd buy one and install it.

Didn't the Prius have a little problem with killing people due to an accelerator problem?

Didn't GM just lose a lawsuit regarding a small, lethal problem with ignition switch? Didn't ford make cars that would explode (Pinto) or rollover (Explorer)? These examples, companies that had been manufacturing vehicles for many decades.

Not trying to say Tesla is better, just off to a good, very interesting, start. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss them their current efforts.

dghii is offline   Reply With Quote