Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2016, 06:32 AM   #21

Walshie, here's another thread -- water entering via the side mirror, running down the wire harness through the bottom of the door and into the footwell.

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/22781-drivers-side-footwell-wet.html?highlight=Wet+door+panel

You would only have water building up in the a/c drain if the a/c was running. I don't think this is the problem.

Good luck my friend!

Last edited by Need_for_speed; 03-26-2016 at 06:41 AM.
Need_for_speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 09:17 AM   #22

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_for_speed View Post
Walshie, here's another thread -- water entering via the side mirror, running down the wire harness through the bottom of the door and into the footwell.

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/22781-drivers-side-footwell-wet.html?highlight=Wet+door+panel

You would only have water building up in the a/c drain if the a/c was running. I don't think this is the problem.

Good luck my friend!
Thank-you, need for Speed for all your help. I will investigate further and post my findings.
Thanks again
Walshie
Walshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 12:45 PM   #23

To get to the bottom of this you really need to pull the carpet out. The backing is about 2" thick foam. This absorbs and retains water. You might think it is coming from the front but I could be anywhere.
To pull the carpet the seats and centre console need to come out but once you have a bare tub you can dust it with talcum powder and then follow the tracks to where the leak is. This also gives you the chance to get the carpet dry. You won't otherwise. Even leaving the roof down it will stay damp. Trust me on this.
Tracing water leaks is tough. The Boxster isn't designed well to keep the rain out but if you take your time and trace and seal the leaks you will get this.
Nedlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 02:39 AM   #24

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedlands View Post
To get to the bottom of this you really need to pull the carpet out. The backing is about 2" thick foam. This absorbs and retains water. You might think it is coming from the front but I could be anywhere.
To pull the carpet the seats and centre console need to come out but once you have a bare tub you can dust it with talcum powder and then follow the tracks to where the leak is. This also gives you the chance to get the carpet dry. You won't otherwise. Even leaving the roof down it will stay damp. Trust me on this.
Tracing water leaks is tough. The Boxster isn't designed well to keep the rain out but if you take your time and trace and seal the leaks you will get this.
Thanks I am off work this week so I will set about it. I have to re colour the leather so that would be a good time while the seats are out.
I will post result
Walshie
Old 04-17-2016, 06:08 AM   #25

Garage
At last it looks like I have found the point of entry for the rain water. After extensive stripping out and water testing I have found water coming in around the lower extrusion of the heater box as it passes through the bulkhead. I am not sure what is on the frunk side of this but I think it's going to involve shipping the dashboard out to re seal it. Has anybody else had this problem.
Walshie.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:57 PM   #26

Garage
Check the drain in the center of the frunk - it is like 5-3 in this diagram linked in this thread: http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/61272-someone-please-explain-986-drainage-system.html

It is near the heater core. If it is blocked it might be allow water to seep through the firewall.
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 03:01 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walshie View Post
At last it looks like I have found the point of entry for the rain water. After extensive stripping out and water testing I have found water coming in around the lower extrusion of the heater box as it passes through the bulkhead. I am not sure what is on the frunk side of this but I think it's going to involve shipping the dashboard out to re seal it. Has anybody else had this problem.
Walshie.
Walshie, Did you ever get this sorted? The passenger footwell of my '97 Boxster gets soaked similarly to yours, and today I sleuthed out the pathway as you describe here. Have no idea how to fix it. The drains in the frunk work just fine, but regardless there is seepage around the bulkhead pass-through grommet or seal that goes to the heater box under the dash. Would love to hear how you solved this!

Thanks so much in advance if you don't mind taking the time to share!

- Scott
Earnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 07:45 AM   #28

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earnest View Post
Walshie, Did you ever get this sorted? The passenger footwell of my '97 Boxster gets soaked similarly to yours, and today I sleuthed out the pathway as you describe here. Have no idea how to fix it. The drains in the frunk work just fine, but regardless there is seepage around the bulkhead pass-through grommet or seal that goes to the heater box under the dash. Would love to hear how you solved this!

Thanks so much in advance if you don't mind taking the time to share!

- Scott

Hi Scott
Yes I did
The water was coming in through a blanking panel bonded to the bulkhead on the passenger side. I had to remove all of the dash and centre console. I then had to remove the heater box assembly complete to get to the panel. I then re bonded the panel with Wurth bond and seal and for an extra measure, I then applied dynamat to the whole area before putting the carpet back. It never leaked again
Walshie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-25-2021, 08:38 AM   #29

Quote:
Hi Scott
Yes I did
The water was coming in through a blanking panel bonded to the bulkhead on the passenger side. I had to remove all of the dash and centre console. I then had to remove the heater box assembly complete to get to the panel. I then re bonded the panel with Wurth bond and seal and for an extra measure, I then applied dynamat to the whole area before putting the carpet back. It never leaked again
Walshie

Thank you! And--oh my--it sounds like a ton of work. How long did it take you to do all that? I clearly have some research ahead of me in order to get it right. Have recently done the center console so not worried about that, but the entire dash seems another thing entirely...

Thank you so much again, and cheers!!

- Scott
Old 07-25-2021, 11:30 AM   #30

Garage
Quote:
Thank you! And--oh my--it sounds like a ton of work. How long did it take you to do all that? I clearly have some research ahead of me in order to get it right. Have recently done the center console so not worried about that, but the entire dash seems another thing entirely...

- Scott

Quote:

- Scott

It took best part of a day for me to remove everything but it was well worth it. The longest job was plucking up the courage to start it. There was a fantastic post that I used to help me . I am not sure how you re send something like that but it must still be in the thread somewhere. I was from meir. You may need to search for him but it is brilliant . Check all other remedies first.
Good luck and let me know how you get on . I am here if you need help
Walshie

Old 07-27-2021, 01:53 PM   #31

Quote:
It took best part of a day for me to remove everything but it was well worth it. The longest job was plucking up the courage to start it. There was a fantastic post that I used to help me . I am not sure how you re send something like that but it must still be in the thread somewhere. I was from meir. You may need to search for him but it is brilliant . Check all other remedies first.
Walshie

I think I found the post from Meir--fantastic indeed! Do these look right?

Step 1 - heater core removal/replacement:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6bi2dlsy47ygaky/step%201%20heater%20core%20removal.pdf?dl=0

Step 2 - dashboard cover removal:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lcthesknynmqaaz/step%202%20Dashboard%20cover%20removal.pdf?dl=0

Step 3 - replacing the evaporator and re- foaming the flaps:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gja11v6yi6h6sq9/step%203%20Evaporator%20replacement.pdf?dl=0

And did you do all three steps or just #2?

I understand entirely the daunting prospect and the need to pluck up the courage, but I think I'm sufficiently psyched up to give it a go this weekend. Will let you know how it goes. I'm certain water is seeping though the heater box pass-through, but there might also be an accompanying source more toward the car's midline in the vicinity of the heater core. Am likely to attempt all of Meir's three steps for good measure. The car is throwing a "temperature flap" code, and I believe that is associated with missing flap insulation so I may as well do it all at once...

Any other advice/recommendations before I proceed? Thank you so much for the brilliant guidance so far!

Best, Scott
Old 07-28-2021, 12:38 PM   #32

Quote:
Walshie

Walshie, Thank you so much! I think I found Meir's posts--there were actually three different documents he put on DropBox. One for removing the heater core, one for the dashboard, and the last one for removing and repairing the heater box. Does that sound like what you used? Did you do all three steps?

I actually responded to this post a couple of days ago but included the DropBox links to see if they looked familiar to you, but the forum said a moderator needed to review it before posting... I must have done something wrong because the response never posted.

Anyway, thanks so much again for the help. I completely understand the daunting prospect this project presents and the need to muster courage--definitely there myself, but I think I'm sufficiently psyched up to make a go of it this weekend. I am sure of the leak through the heater box pass-thru, but there might also be an additional leak source more toward the midline, possibly the heater core, so I'm likely to attempt all of Meir's three steps. Will let you know how things go, and once again I appreciate your help!

Best,
Scott
Old 07-28-2021, 08:22 PM   #33

Garage
Quote:
Walshie, Thank you so much! I think I found Meir's posts--there were actually three different documents he put on DropBox. One for removing the heater core, one for the dashboard, and the last one for removing and repairing the heater box. Does that sound like what you used? Did you do all three steps?

I actually responded to this post a couple of days ago but included the DropBox links to see if they looked familiar to you, but the forum said a moderator needed to review it before posting... I must have done something wrong because the response never posted.

Anyway, thanks so much again for the help. I completely understand the daunting prospect this project presents and the need to muster courage--definitely there myself, but I think I'm sufficiently psyched up to make a go of it this weekend. I am sure of the leak through the heater box pass-thru, but there might also be an additional leak source more toward the midline, possibly the heater core, so I'm likely to attempt all of Meir's three steps. Will let you know how things go, and once again I appreciate your help!

Best,
Scott

Hi Scott
Yes I did use all 3 posts. My advise is buy some zip lock food bags and a sharpie and put each set of fixings from each step in a different bag. Label them with the items and number them . Then reassemble in reverse order. I also took photos to remind me. It was actually quite fun in the end.
Good luck and let me know how it goes.
Walshie

Old 08-01-2021, 07:13 AM   #34

Quote:
Hi Scott
Yes I did use all 3 posts. My advise is buy some zip lock food bags and a sharpie and put each set of fixings from each step in a different bag. Label them with the items and number them . Then reassemble in reverse order. I also took photos to remind me. It was actually quite fun in the end.
Good luck and let me know how it goes.
Walshie

Hello Walshie! Great advice--thank you. Got all dismantled Friday evening and Saturday, and confirmed the leak points with some focused tests. I found your forum conversation with Meir from 2016, and the culprit is just where you found as you described to him. Waiting now for the Wurth Bond & Seal to arrive, so spending time cleaning under the dash and re-taping all the wiring harnesses. Also repairing the interior of the heater box, cleaning the evaporator and re-foaming (or taping up with aluminum tape--not sure which way to go yet) the flaps. By the way, were you able to track down the part# of the foam gasket between the heater box and the bulkhead--the one that goes around the evaporator tubes as they pass through the bulkhead to the expansion valve? One of the previous owners tried to fix the leak by putting a bunch of sealant around the tubes (maybe it was leaking there as well--that lower screw is rusted just like yours was), and I would like to replace that gasket. Unfortunately no part number on the gasket and none of my searches yield anything...

I spent considerable time trying to clean out the small crevice right below the expansion valve. Tons of gunk in there and it was like flossing teeth because the car body at the base of the right strut mount (LHD car) has an outcropping just forward of the bulkhead plate that obscures visibility to the joint of the plate with the body. Also creates a channel where water accumulates thus causing this whole leak problem. Ended up using toothpicks and the end of a zip tie to get in there to scoop the gunk out, then flushed with water, and then dried with a heat gun and compressed air. It should be ready for the seal.

Anything else you did or parts that you replaced in the process that I should pay attention to? Once again, thank you SO much for your experienced guidance!

Best, Scott

Last edited by Earnest; 08-01-2021 at 07:16 AM.
Old 08-01-2021, 10:35 AM   #35

Garage
Hi Scott , if I am totally honest , I cannot remember what I did about the foam seal, although I know I didn’t buy a new one. I did however use the bond and seal to re stick the foam cover over the matrix in the fronk. One hood thing about the bond and seal is that it works if the surfaces are damp.
I am glad all appears to be going well. Good luck with the re build
Walshie
Old 08-21-2021, 06:09 PM   #36

Quote:
Hi Scott , if I am totally honest , I cannot remember what I did about the foam seal, although I know I didn’t buy a new one. I did however use the bond and seal to re stick the foam cover over the matrix in the fronk. One hood thing about the bond and seal is that it works if the surfaces are damp.
I am glad all appears to be going well. Good luck with the re build
Walshie
Hello Walshie! Just wanted to give you an update: Got the leak sealed up a couple of weeks ago, and mostly all put back together last week. Still have yet to re-charge the a/c, but it's nice to be able to drive it again! Unfortunately it's now throwing emissions-related misfire codes, so now I have another problem to solve...

Anyway, thank you SO much for the help in sorting out the leak problem--I couldn't have done it without you and Meir! I hope all is well in the UK and that you're staying out of the cross-hairs of the coronavirus.

All the best,
Scott