Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2016, 12:14 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Maidstone England
Posts: 81
Garage
Rain entering cabin

I have posted about this problem before but haven't been able to sort the problem.
To recap, I have rain water entering the passenger footwell at the front of the car ( right hand drive) I have poured water down the front drains and this runs out ok, I have put an air line down them to make sure they are not blocked, I have replaced the missing rubber grommets to the drain holes. I have had the door membrane replaced even though the door card was dry, I have re sealed the cabin filter casing and have now run out of ideas.
Is there anything I am missing.
The water is entering from behind the dash but not through the screen, it runs down the bulkhead and onto the carpet. The carpet under the seats always remains dry so it isn't the rear drains.
Fed up and at the moment defeated.

HELP

Walshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 01:28 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Arlington Heights, IL
Posts: 1,557
Are all the frunk cowl covers properly installed and present? Battery drain working properly? Fuel overflow draining properly?
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 02:03 PM   #3
Ben-Auto-Design
 
Ben006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: French Riviera
Posts: 808
A/c evaporator drain clogged ?
__________________
ASE certified Automotive Master Technician.
Porsche Tech in France.
www.benautodesign.fr
Ben-Auto-Design : Performance parts for 9X6 / 9X7
2001 986 S, Manual, all black.
Ben006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 02:28 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Maidstone England
Posts: 81
Garage
[QUOTE=Flavor 987S;488759]Are all the frunk cowl covers properly installed and present? Battery drain working properly? Fuel overflow draining properly?[/UOTE]

Yes all installed properly and all drains clear
Walshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 02:29 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Maidstone England
Posts: 81
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben006 View Post
A/c evaporator drain clogged ?
No not clogged, and car gets wet when sitting outside the house not being used.
Walshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 02:57 PM   #6
Registered User
 
seningen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: austin
Posts: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walshie View Post
No not clogged, and car gets wet when sitting outside the house not being used.
Can you replicate by using a hose? If so I've heard of folks putting dry food coloring in certain areas then doing the hose test and seeing what color water shows up.

Mike
__________________
Drivers: '08 Cayenne Turbo, 96 993 Çab/Tip (wife's) & '92 964 Cab
Race Cars: '75 911 RSR Clone & '99 Spec Boxster
mike@lonestarrpm.com
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 04:44 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Pominoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walshie View Post
I have posted about this problem before but haven't been able to sort the problem.
To recap, I have rain water entering the passenger footwell at the front of the car ( right hand drive) I have poured water down the front drains and this runs out ok, I have put an air line down them to make sure they are not blocked, I have replaced the missing rubber grommets to the drain holes. I have had the door membrane replaced even though the door card was dry, I have re sealed the cabin filter casing and have now run out of ideas.
Is there anything I am missing.
The water is entering from behind the dash but not through the screen, it runs down the bulkhead and onto the carpet. The carpet under the seats always remains dry so it isn't the rear drains.
Fed up and at the moment defeated.

HELP
Are you sure it's not getting in somewhere round the side windows? I had to get my passenger side windows adjusted to stop water getting in past the front edge and running down the inside front of the door.
__________________
Boxster Base, 2002 Manual, Black.
LN Single Row Pro IMS retrofit.
Pominoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 08:13 PM   #8
1997, PCA Riverside
 
rexcramer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Upland, CA
Posts: 1,097
Garage
Are both of the door liners in good shape and in place? I am talking about the ones between the metal door and the inner interior panel.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 08:32 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: British Columbia Cdn
Posts: 35
Garage
Could the seal around your windshield be the problem?
first boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:03 PM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Maidstone England
Posts: 81
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcramer View Post
Are both of the door liners in good shape and in place? I am talking about the ones between the metal door and the inner interior panel.
Yes both are In good shape, passenger side is new and fitted by porsche
Walshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:07 PM   #11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Maidstone England
Posts: 81
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by first boxster View Post
Could the seal around your windshield be the problem?
No, I have water tested from below the windshield line, the water drains away ok from the skuttle panel through the drains but some ends up running down the cabin side of the bulkhead at the very front.
Walshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:57 AM   #12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Maidstone England
Posts: 81
Garage
I have tried with a hose and also more specific placement of water to try to locate point of entry. When pouring a jug of water in the skuttle tray, it drained down the drain hole but then seeped through where the heater box passes through the bulkhead. I do not know what is the other side of this and how to get to it.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
Walshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:40 AM   #13
More of a truck guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: San Ramon, CA
Posts: 69
Just so you know you aren't alone. I get water behind my passenger seat, every time it rains. Drives me bat******************** crazy. Did the hose test, made sure all drains were free and clear, checked seals, and yada yada yada. I finally just gave up, and keep the carpet pulled up behind the seat. If it rains, I keep a small white towel under the carpet. It soaks up the water, and when the weather is nice, I leave the top down during the day and it dries out nicely.

Not the fix your looking for, but I feel your pain!!!!!

Best of luck!
__________________
2002 Boxster S 6 Speed
TNT79Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:39 AM   #14
Registered User
 
texomawaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Tx
Posts: 249
check the front wheel fender liners... perhaps water splashing up from the tires.
__________________
Chris Dennis, Plano, Texas

'07 Boxster, arctic silver, 2.7, Tiptronic, 51k miles, and no mods!
texomawaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:44 AM   #15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Maidstone England
Posts: 81
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT79Bronco View Post
Just so you know you aren't alone. I get water behind my passenger seat, every time it rains. Drives me bat******************** crazy. Did the hose test, made sure all drains were free and clear, checked seals, and yada yada yada. I finally just gave up, and keep the carpet pulled up behind the seat. If it rains, I keep a small white towel under the carpet. It soaks up the water, and when the weather is nice, I leave the top down during the day and it dries out nicely.

Not the fix your looking for, but I feel your pain!!!!!

Best of luck!
Thanks, it is very frustrating, I am starting to feel that way. I have bought a storm cover for when the weather is bad.
Walshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:45 AM   #16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Maidstone England
Posts: 81
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by texomawaves View Post
check the front wheel fender liners... perhaps water splashing up from the tires.
Unfortunately no, it leaks when standing outside the house not being used.
Walshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 12:08 PM   #17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: New England
Posts: 296
Walshie, you have probably seen this link already, but sending it along in case you haven't. Mike is a member on this forum. You might try a PM to him.

https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/drainsdiagram
Need_for_speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 02:05 PM   #18
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Maidstone England
Posts: 81
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_for_speed View Post
Walshie, you have probably seen this link already, but sending it along in case you haven't. Mike is a member on this forum. You might try a PM to him.

https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/drainsdiagram
Hi need for Speed.
From this it looks like there is 4 drains fuel filler, one either side of battery and no 3 that I didn't know about, is this correct
Walshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 03:40 PM   #19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: New England
Posts: 296
I count 6 total: 2 behind the seats, 2 in front (near battery), fuel and a/c.

Last edited by Need_for_speed; 03-25-2016 at 07:17 PM.
Need_for_speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 04:51 AM   #20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Maidstone England
Posts: 81
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_for_speed View Post
I count 6 total: 2 behind the seats, 2 in front (near battery), fuel and a/c.
Oh ok no 3 on the schematic is the AC drain. I take it this is only a problem if the AC is running and not while it is sitting unused.

Walshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page